General Category > Gun Fighting

Shaved Sights

(1/5) > >>

Hock:
The other day at a seminar, a martial artist who is now dabbling with and reading into pistols asked me,

"So, I guess you are one of those guys that suggest shaving the sights off the barrel for instinct shooting?"

"Oh no,' I said, "anyone with a pistol may have to make a Hail Mary shot at any time, and everyone's Hail Mary distance is different. I would never dream of shaving the sights off of anything."

I have not heard of this idea in years. Are people still doing it? Suggesting it?

Hock

Professor:

--- Quote from: HockHoch@aol.com on September 28, 2005, 07:31:33 AM ---The other day at a seminar, a martial artist who is now dabbling with and reading into pistols asked me,

"So, I guess you are one of those guys that suggest shaving the sights off the barrel for instinct shooting?"

"Oh no,' I said, "anyone with a pistol may have to make a Hail Mary shot at any time, and everyone's Hail Mary distance is different. I would never dream of shaving the sights off of anything."

I have not heard of this idea in years. Are people still doing it? Suggesting it?

Hock

--- End quote ---

NO>>>>>  ::)  NO>>>>>   ::)  NO!!!!!!   ::)

Ninor and I got into this "discussion" a long time ago and settled it.  I'm right.

(here's a link to the thread: http://hockscombatforum.com/index.php?topic=76.0.  The subject started with shotguns and opened a little from there...

BTW, I haven't seen anything lately to suggest it.

Trembula:
Prof... thanks for bringing up that old thread while I was misposting this reply  :)

Every now and then one of the gun rags gets desperate for an article and has somebody write an article advocating removing the sight(s) from a pistol (sometimes a rifle too) and how they increased qualification rates (or still managed to qualify) with the sights knocked off, taped over, fallen off (and they didn't notice... I'll believe that one for a string maybe on a "run and gun" kind of stage but not for an entire qual or match), radical canting of the gun, shooting with the middle finger and the index "pointing" along the barrel, etc. It doesn't take an expert shot to realize this is pure hogwash. Then you have the WW2 FAS accolytes who still want that "pump handle, convlulsive grip, combat crouch, half/quarter/full hip hold, etc." as the epitomy of combat shooting with a handgun. They proudly point out how FEW rounds are fired in training and how revolutionary this is that it is still better than anything we have 60 years later.

Enter reality. If you can use your sights use them. Even if you have "no time" to aim, you really do, either through a body index (the closest to actual "point" shooting since the gun (which is outside of your field of view) is referenced to the target by the allignment of the rest of your body; or some form of aimed fire, which spans a continuum from referencing the gun in general to the target to picking up the front sight, ultimately to that carefully sighted "bullseye" shot. Anyone who thinks aiming is "slow" just needs to watch one of the top IPSC grandmasters do their thing. Wait you say, they are using tricked out space-guns with zillion round magazines and nothing practical for real life. Okay then check out that video which I think Hock has posted of Jerry Miculek with a wheelgun. These folks are shooting AIMED shots too. Sights wouldn't be a standard feature on every handgun sold if they didn't work and weren't needed.

Dan

Virgil:

Makes me think of all the 'stuff' I've seen or heard about with respect to modifying guns.  Cutting down revolver barrels (was it John Wesley Hardin who took his barrel off entirely?), pinning the grip safety on a 1911, making a "Fitz special" by bobbing the hammer and cutting off half the trigger guard.  My favorite is the "slip gun." I read about this in Elmer Keith's book Sixguns.  The old gunfighters ('shootists') would wire the trigger of the SAA back (usually in combination w/a cut down barrel) so that they just thumbed it as they pulled it from their coat or pocket. Pretty fast overall, as long as your thumb didn't 'slip' too soon.

Stephen A. Camp:
Hello.  No, I not only prefer sights, but sights visible at speed.

Best.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version