General Category > Gun Fighting

Shaved Sights

<< < (5/5)

Nick Hughes:
Contractor,

More confusion undoubtedly due to the nature of internet forums.  I've said this before and I'll say it again, if half of these discussions we end up on the forum were being held at a seminar somewhere over dinner and you could explain what you were talking abou face to face, there wouldn't be any spats.

I've never advocated knocking or taking sights of weapons.  In a discussion long ago with the Prof I said I had "accidentally" knocked the sight of my shotgun.  I went shooting before getting a chance to put it back on and didn't notice much of a difference.

After reading Haney's book I then played round with the training method he talked about with ONE of my handguns and got good results with it (at close range which is the range I train for) but also went on to say I felt it would only work for someone who got to shoot upwards of 500 rounds per day.

Re sixteen years ago...Hock got out of the military a long time ago as well...is his experience irrelevant?

FYI - After leaving the Legion I worked in EP...still do...and I have a standing rule of 200 hours minimum of continuing education every year to keep up with the changes of which you speak.   Just about all the people I work with have the same 200 hour standard be it shooting, first aid, driving, languages, combatives etc.

N

Kentbob:
   First things first.  Taking the sights off of your weapon for the purposes of combat, whatever your weapon may be, seems to violate simple common sense.  The same for a sling.  Neither one hurts anything, as long as discipline is prevalent.  Personally and professionally, I could not imagine doing my job without my sling.  I would constantly be setting down my weapon, and then looking for it again  We are constantly called upon to conduct searches of houses, and you need both hands free for that.  In a perfect world, I would never stray farther than an arms length away from my weapon.  But, the world isn't perfect, and neither am I.  In addition, if I ever have to grapple or go hand to hand with a bad guy, it will be much easier to deal with him by simply slinging my weapon than by trying to deal with him with the half remembered bayonet training from basic.  Also, my weapon, should I be killed will in hand to hand, will be that much harder to remove from my carcass.  Another point, is that it is easier to wield one handed.  This sounds hollywood, and ramboish, but I don't have a taclight for my weapon, and I don't have a rail system for it either.  So, I am reduced to putting my personal taclight in one hand, and the weapon in the other.  I put the light hand underneath the bottom handguard, but I still mostly brace the weapon against the sling by pushing on it.  Also, if I had a sidearm, my sling would make the transition smoother, like it does for our medic.  By slinging his weapon, he is able to move smoothly from his long gun to his pistol.  I can't think of anything else.  Its easier to eat chow with my sling, which is also very important to me.  I hope this makes sense to you folks.  I look forward to your feedback.  Vaya con dios.

Kent

Hock:
Shaved sights

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version