W. Hock Hochheim's

Combat Centric

Talk Forum for Military, Police, Martial Artists and Aware Citizenry

Hock Hochheim's Combat Talk Forum

• January 22, 2018, 08:18:13 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Road Rage - It happened to Dad.  (Read 1557 times)

Professor

• In your house drinking your coffee
  • Level 4
  • The Warlord
Road Rage - It happened to Dad.
« on: September 28, 2005, 12:37:54 PM »

My Dad told me a tale today that I thought was worth sharing with the class.

The other driver was:
in the parallel lane, didn't look as she pulled into his lane . . . He honked his horn to tell her that  that he was there [where she was trying to go]. . . so she wouldn't side-swipe his truck [edited for better wording]

At the next stop sign, the road now transitioned from a double lane to a single lane -- she stopped at the next stop sign and her boyfriend opened the passenger door, stepped out, and began cussing Dad.

Dad quickly surveyed his truck interior . . .  .22 caliber pistol in the glove box (loaded), .357 in a soft case (within easy reach) and in the back seat (loaded)....it was laying on top of his loaded .22 pump rifle (loaded).

Here was Dad's mental checklist (as he related it to me):

1)  Back the truck up....nobody was behind him yet.....it's a country road.
    (cell phone open in hand to dial 911)

2)  .22 pistol out if idiot approached the car -- if someone pulled up behind him and would no longer be able to back-up (e.g., retreat).

3)  Drop him if he touched the driver window of the truck.

Luckily, the idiot didn't step from his door toward Dad...it gave him time to think about what he would do if the person attacked him (right or wrong, I'm sure he would have followed his list).

Dad has the legal right to carry a concealed handgun(s) and the legal right to openly carry a long gun.   I'm glad Dad was carrying today.

I convinced him several years ago to get his permit and exercise his rights to legally defend himself -- it didn't take much.   My dad (my kid's grandad) is not a strong as he use to be and a fist fight isn't on the daily docket.....but he can shoot straight and just re-qualified in August.

A let down to a story, I don't think so.  I'm not going to Monday morning quarterback my Dad - I might have done it different, but I wasn't there... 

Be safe on the road and protect yourself for your friends, family, kids and GRANDKIDS.

The(ProudSon)Professor.

« Last Edit: October 01, 2005, 05:52:04 AM by Professor »
  'Advanced' is being able to do the basics, despite what else is happening. 

Our Country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't be any AMERICA because some foreign soldiery will invade us and take our women and breed a hardier race!"  --- Chesty Puller, USMC

Virgil

• Level 2
Re: Road Rage - It happened to Dad.
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2005, 12:52:39 PM »

Glad it turned out as it did.  Could have gone south in a hurry.
Regarding "Monday morning quarterbacking" my CCW instructor mentioned to us something that has stuck w/me - in actual encounters, people almost never react by the book.  He said, in reading accounts of shootings, you will almost always see things that people could have done differently, or different choices you would have made. That was part of our learning curve, but didn't necessarily mean that they did things "wrong."
V.
Resist much. Obey little.

Bri Thai

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2005, 01:24:27 AM »

I think it may have been best if he had laid off the horn.  Easier said than done, I know.  I'm glad he's ok, and I'm glad the others are ok too.

Professor

• Level 4
  • The Warlord
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2005, 06:30:10 AM »

I think it may have been best if he had laid off the horn.  Easier said than done, I know.  I'm glad he's ok, and I'm glad the others are ok too.

She was in the parallel lane, didn't look as she pulled into his lane . . . The horn was to tell her that he was there [where she was trying to go]. . . so she wouldn't side-swipe his truck

From his explanation, he hit his brake and his horn . . . it's bad to swerve into oncoming traffic.   These things happen and that's why cars have horns.

Our Country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't be any AMERICA because some foreign soldiery will invade us and take our women and breed a hardier race!"  --- Chesty Puller, USMC

Bri Thai

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2005, 06:23:05 AM »

As he was traveling in his farm truck on the outskirts of the city, a woman changed lanes on top of him and he hit the brakes (narrowly getting out of her way) and gave her a Texas hello with his horn.

The internet is not the best communication method.  My reading of this line was that he was sounding his horn as a rebuke, after already avoiding the collision.  Over here we officially call it the "audible warning instrument".  If he was using it as an audible warning then he did act correctly.

tlouis

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2005, 04:57:55 AM »

From the wording, i had the same understanding as Bri.

Professor

• Level 4
  • The Warlord
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2005, 05:49:50 AM »

From the wording, i had the same understanding as Bri.

I've now changed the original post to better describe his horn....

Jeff

« Last Edit: October 01, 2005, 05:52:51 AM by Professor »

Bri Thai

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2005, 07:13:14 AM »

I would never describe my own Dads horn.  He is 69 today....maybe he doesn't have one anymore!   ;D

Download