• January 22, 2018, 11:30:14 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Poll

Which Camp?

Minimalist (in a good way)
- 5 (100%)
Gear Freak (not that there's any thing wrong with that.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Author Topic: Ye Olde Scattergun Jewlery  (Read 1096 times)

Professor

• In your house drinking your coffee
  • Level 4
  • The Warlord
Ye Olde Scattergun Jewlery
« on: October 03, 2005, 06:24:06 PM »

Originally osted by Tembula in this thread: http://hockscombatforum.com/index.php?topic=76.msg7307#msg7307

...was discussing ye olde scattergun with a friend of mine and he had the following comments which he said I could post here:

I have taken a few shotgun classes.  Some of the instructors were rather minimalistic on add-ons, others were full on Gear Queers.  I had a lot of the crap like butt cuff and sidesaddles, etc on, now all I have is a sling.  I do think a lighted fore end is a good choice but that's about it.

I shoot faster with the bead and I can hit man sized target COM past 40 yards so I don't have ghost rings.  I think that's a personal call. If you go the bead route you must have a shotgun that fits you though.  I prefer wood stocks to synthetic as you can carve them till they fit you.

I'm not a fan of the select load concept or the side saddle.  From doing a lot of shotgun matches, if you go dry on a shotgun you should draw a handgun.  You should have a reload in case everything goes to shit and  you don't have a handgun, but odds are you are in deep shit if you go through 7 or 8 rounds of buckshot and still have bad guys. Reloading a shotgun is s l o w.  You're about as screwed as a guy with a dry J frame and a speed strip in the middle of a gunfight.  I know the mantra is to top off the shotgun from the side saddle as you shoot, but I'll believe that works the day I see a video of a guy in a gunfight doing a tac load.

I don't think I will have the awareness or need to do a select load.  I do carry extra shells, on a belt holder attached to the stock with velcro.  In a pinch I can load from it on the stock, otherwise I can clip it on my pants and be good to go.  I have toyed with carrying all my extra ammo as slugs, so I could opt to select load with it,  or if i do run dry, I don't think anyone will bitch about being hit with a slug instead of buckshot.   .  Stuff to think about and play."

Let's see where it goes.

Prof

'Advanced' is being able to do the basics, despite what else is happening. 

Our Country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't be any AMERICA because some foreign soldiery will invade us and take our women and breed a hardier race!"  --- Chesty Puller, USMC

Professor

• In your house drinking your coffee
  • Level 4
  • The Warlord
Re: Ye Olde Scattergun Jewlery
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2005, 06:14:13 AM »

Nice shotty....It's on my wish list... (hint, hint)

Here's a link for more specifics:

http://www.benelliusa.com/innovations/military.tpl

Add a sling and I'm good to go.   I'm slowing converting to the slug only camp.

Anything too close and buckshot acts like a slug...anything too far and buckshot won't stop them.
  'Advanced' is being able to do the basics, despite what else is happening. 

Our Country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't be any AMERICA because some foreign soldiery will invade us and take our women and breed a hardier race!"  --- Chesty Puller, USMC

Rawhide

• Level 3
  • Nothing more dangerous than a Marine & His rifle
Re: Ye Olde Scattergun Jewlery
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2005, 09:25:58 AM »

Oh man! Sweet!
Cheat in the beginning, cheat in the end, cheat in middle...

www.dallascqc.com

Download