W. Hock Hochheim's

Combat Centric

Talk Forum for Military, Police, Martial Artists and Aware Citizenry

Hock Hochheim's Combat Talk Forum

• July 19, 2018, 05:51:47 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Gun training ground  (Read 1314 times)

wisdom

• Level 2
Gun training ground
« on: December 05, 2005, 01:49:36 PM »

Hello, I'am along time SFC instuctor, however unqualified or underqualified as the case may be to teach the gun curriculum, but since I know some the guru's of the gun world our on this forum, thought I would bring this up here.

I will put put the bare bones of the issue here, and try to track down more specifics facts if there is an interest.

The local law enforcement agenies here, Benton Haror/ST Joseph MI area were/are lacking an out door gun training facillty. To help a farmer who owned quite a bit of land agreed to donate so much acreage fo this purpose. The land is in a fairly rural, underpopulated area.

Happy ending for the farmer who gets a tax write off, and for a local cops?

Nope.

All of suddden a public political outcry, sighting safety and noise pollution stopped the process for the training area up short. To the point where it's making front page headlines in our local paper.

My question for the gun gurus, and law enforcement dudes on here, have you ever dealt with something similar, and if so what happened, how did you get around this sort of thing or not?

I bring this up here, because a frienldly kickboxing cop aquintance of mine, made it sound like this wouldn't just be range, but an actual sort of combatives training grounds.
Clifford Munson

"Never give a sword to man who can't dance"
-celtic motto

TwoGun

• Level 2
Re: Gun training ground
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2005, 09:40:14 PM »

We had a little bit of a different problem.  An existing range had been in place for a long time and a housing development started up around it.  Eventully the developer sued the city to close the range.  I was involved with the city councel as we tried to figure out what to do.  Eventually the city ended up swapping the land the range was on for some other land.  There was a lot of debate and and wringing of hands before it got solved and it never really go solved to everyone's satisfaction.  The good thing for us was that the people of the city supported the range and wanted one so we had a bit more clout.

I would site the issue of poorly trained  police officers to counter the arguemnts,  as public safety concern that should take presidence over worries about the noise.  But any time you place a new shooitng range within earshot of any housing I think you are going to have a fight on  your hand.  You might contact the NRA as they have been through this many, many times and are espically willing to help with law enforcement.

Good luck

Chuck Burnett

• Level 1
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2005, 11:21:11 PM »

A lot of ranges get zoned out of existence due to expansion of communities.

The NRA is a good resource.

http://www.nrahq.org/shootingrange/

Chuck

TwoGun

• Level 2
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2005, 12:27:08 PM »

As an aside, our local law enforcement range here, which was right next to the range that got moved, is utilized by local and state police, game, fish, and park, the FBI and the US Marshals.  They has some "expert" from New York come out and examine the range and make reccomendatiosn for evironmental concerns and safety. What a joke.

The cost of doing what he reccomended to the range was nearly 50% of the budget for the entire city!  He didn't want enough lead left in the ground to make a fishing sinker.  It was completely absurd and instead of reasonable maintenance occureing, they are not doing any of it.  But from a safety stand point the range is pretty well designed and we even have a "burm house" with burms all the way around and a setup where you can put in interhchangable walls and doors. 

My local gun club utilizes this range every year for nine or ten matches and we have good working relationship with local law enforcement.  I believe that a community and departmental relationship is very helpful when dealing with any such issues.  It makes sense to foster these relationships on both sides.

Download