W. Hock Hochheim's

Combat Centric

Talk Forum for Military, Police, Martial Artists and Aware Citizenry

Hock Hochheim's Combat Talk Forum

• January 21, 2018, 09:59:39 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What type of carry do you like?  (Read 4633 times)

TwoGun

• Level 2
What type of carry do you like?
« on: December 21, 2005, 11:33:18 AM »

I've had my CCW for more than ten years and when I carry I have used a strong side inside the wasitband holster from Kramer that I like a lot.  But when dressed in light summer wear or in causal business attire, it it tough to conceal the P-13 I use.  I have considered a number of other options and what stops me from trying them is that I am terribly adverse to having a carry system that requires a two handed draw.  Since statisticaly most civilain gunfights occur at very close range, I fear that I'd have to fend off an attacker with one hand while drawing.  I am reasonably attentive and aware of my surroundings but anyone can be surprised.  There is also the possibilty that you could injure you strong side hand or arm and then drawing is tough enoug, but requiring a two handed draw under such circumstances could get you killed.

Am I overplaying this?  Does anyone here use a holster that requires a two handed draw? 

An informal survey from packing,dot,org showed that the vast bulk of persons there carry in an IWB holster like I do, but some used other types.  What is your prefered method of carry and why?  Comfort, concealment, accessability?

spanky

• Level 3
  • PEACE through SUPERIOR FIREPOWER
Re: What type of carry do you like?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2005, 01:25:35 PM »

samey same here I have carried concealed for the last 23 years

If you have reason to carry one gun you have reason to carry TWO but if you are like me, my dept. doesn't allow backup guns. I carry a knife for backup.

What do you mean by tough to conceal in the summer ? try this, my method is I wear a v neck t shirt next to the skin (for comfort) and then wear one of those Hawaiin type Manum PI shirts you know opaque with flowers and square bottom, I even wear shorts with belt loops (Dockers) buy the cover shirt at least ONE SIZE LARGER than you normally wear.

I carry this way year round with a full size Glock 22 .40 S&W just in the winter it is easier to wear sweat shirts or pullover sweaters.

The draw is done with one but is faster with two (IF two hand are available)

draw starts with the gun hand hanging down at your side open hand, touch your leg and slide your hand up still touching yourself as you raise your hand grab the bottom of the covering garment and lift it up above the weapon clear, let go while pushing the heel of your hand against your body to prevent the covering garment from falling and blocking the draw, come down onto the butt of the weapon in a firing grip and pull up draw
the weapon as required.

Practice it slow daily for 10-15 minutes and you will get it down. get yourself a dummy gun or be extra sure the gun is unlaoded for this practice, do it every day for several years.

much easier to show than write about

I hope this helps
« Last Edit: December 21, 2005, 01:35:09 PM by spanky »

TwoGun

• Level 2
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2005, 01:59:56 PM »

Thanks for the input.  I'm familar with the draw.  But I've got to tell you, Hawaiin shirt are out!

My biggest problem with the untucked shirt, besides the fact that I can't go that route at work, is that the holster allows part of the pistol to touch my skin.  This is bad in terms of what it can do the pistols finish.  I have only seen one or two IWB holsters that have what I consider enough of a shield between the top of the pistol and your skin.  Even if I wear an undershirt I can still sweat enough for it soak though.

In rural South Dakota folks tend to wear either tee shirts or a short sleeve western type shirt.  Sure a tee shrit will cover the Para but wearing a tee shirt under a tee shirt?  Doesn't work.  I may have to continue my search for a holster that has enough leather so that it complete seperates the top of the slide and sight with my hyde. 

But I guess what I'm really curious about is how many people don't mind a two handed draw and who uses such rigs?

ted murphy

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2005, 03:01:04 PM »

Two Gun,

If you are worried about the gun rusting, you can get various refinishing done to the gun to prevent that.  That or get a glock.

I wear a gun IWB under a baggy shirt a lot.  I practice the two handed "hackathorn rip" type draw, but also a one handed draw.  I'm pretty decent with either draw and even have shot more than a few competitions that way.

I would not carry a gun in a holster that required a two handed draw.  Or if I did, I'd have a pocketgun I could draw faster with one hand if need be.

As the saying goes, "Dress for the gun, don't pick a gun for how you dress".   You can change your attire a bit and find a way.  Comtac makes a tuckable holster that will carry a full size gun well in a tucked shirt.  I have a few friends that use them.  All that is visible is the two kydex belt clips.  Attach your phone to one and it is barely noticible.

Ted

spanky

• Level 3
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2005, 03:19:57 PM »

Twogun

Try the 2 T SHIRT approach it will take some getting used to but it is possible to get used to it even in the hottest weather.

TwoGun

• Level 2
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2005, 09:30:51 PM »

I've considered something like the Robar NP3 finish, expensive but I think worth it.

A tuckable holster might be a possibiliyt but I've always been a bit worried that somethig the size of my P13 would be too big to work well.  But it might be worht trying.  Is it Galco that makes them?  I forget.

I have a couple of different holsters that are strong side, high rise hip holster and they are extremely comfortable but require a reasonably heavy covering garment.  When the weather cools off I use them and forget about it, but in the office or summer time it's a differnt deal.  I one time purchased a Kel-Tek P11 as an alternate gun to carry when it got warm but I was never as comfortable with that pistol as I was with my Para.  I'm not really completely stuck on the .45ACP but the little Kel-Tek felt like a toy. 

gumbey

• Level 3
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2005, 05:20:51 PM »

Crossdraw carry from shoulder rig. I can sit down anywhere, in my car, chair, or toilet, and still get to my piece. Not suited form warmer climate though since it requires a thick coat or vest. Although I use other carry systems (fannypack/pager pal), this is the most comfortable provided the weather is cold.

threegun

• Level 3
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2005, 06:36:12 AM »

The fannypack or man purse is the best way to carry in warmer climates bar none. I have been carrying since 1992 and have only once been asked if I had a gun in my bag. This was by a very astute security guard. Actually he asked "is that a gun bag" I said "yes sir it is" he said "you can't have that in here" (department of motor vehicles) I said "it doesn't have a gun in it sir, I isn't legal to carry a gun in here" he apologized and went back to guarding. I really didn't have a gun in the bag. I left it in the car because it is illegal to bring it into a government facility. Anyway police officers, businesses, even the occassional trip two disney, no one notices the bag. They make packs in leather for business types also. I can draw my gun one handed easily. More important than that, I can covertly grip my pistol without alarming anyone including the potential threat. This gives me great advantage when I spot a potential threat approaching.

Since I only carry a Glock (beside my backup), I can ,without fear of rusting my finish, simply slip the gun into my waistband at the small of my back. Then goes the old hawaii shirt deal LOL. I also use an ankle holster with a kel-tec p32. I have shoulder holsters, thunder wear, ect. none are as good my fannypack.

Professor

• In your house drinking your coffee
  • Level 4
  • The Warlord
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2005, 11:36:13 AM »

The fannypack or man purse is the best way to carry in warmer climates bar none. I have been carrying since 1992 and have only once been asked if I had a gun in my bag. This was by a very astute security guard. Actually he asked "is that a gun bag" I said "yes sir it is" he said "you can't have that in here" (department of motor vehicles) I said "it doesn't have a gun in it sir, I isn't legal to carry a gun in here" he apologized and went back to guarding. I really didn't have a gun in the bag. I left it in the car because it is illegal to bring it into a government facility. Anyway police officers, businesses, even the occassional trip two disney, no one notices the bag. They make packs in leather for business types also. I can draw my gun one handed easily. More important than that, I can covertly grip my pistol without alarming anyone including the potential threat. This gives me great advantage when I spot a potential threat approaching.

Since I only carry a Glock (beside my backup), I can ,without fear of rusting my finish, simply slip the gun into my waistband at the small of my back. Then goes the old hawaii shirt deal LOL. I also use an ankle holster with a kel-tec p32. I have shoulder holsters, thunder wear, ect. none are as good my fannypack.

Mine stays in a fanny pack.    It's easy and I carry it more often.    Won't do any good if it's sitting at home.

'Advanced' is being able to do the basics, despite what else is happening. 

Our Country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't be any AMERICA because some foreign soldiery will invade us and take our women and breed a hardier race!"  --- Chesty Puller, USMC

Milldog1776

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2005, 08:59:13 PM »

I like to carry my gun in my hand.  ;D

Professor

• Level 4
  • The Warlord
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2005, 08:37:47 AM »

I like to carry my gun in my hand.  ;D

I WOULD say Smartass....but it's Christmas.

Good answer.

Our Country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't be any AMERICA because some foreign soldiery will invade us and take our women and breed a hardier race!"  --- Chesty Puller, USMC

spanky

• Level 3
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2005, 04:13:56 PM »

Mine stays in a fanny pack.    It's easy and I carry it more often.    Won't do any good if it's sitting at home.

Only a Professor would carry his gun in a fag bag !  :-* and tell us why a professor is carrying a gun and a knife, aren't you guys supposed to be very liberal/hoplophobic type long haired hippy types ? ;D

Hank 

gumbey

• Level 3
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2005, 07:14:33 AM »

Thanks, ThreeGun, I'll keep that in mind. Never thought of DMV as a govt. facility. Been carrying there even with a fannypack and not even the sheriff's deputy, who usually stands guard there, never said anything. Just gave me a nod and I nod back. Maybe he thought I was law enforcement or something. Never carrying it there again and leaving it in the trunk (inside a padlocked plannerbook holster/fannypack) of my car instead.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2005, 06:03:12 PM by gumbey »

TwoGun

• Level 2
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2005, 09:25:43 AM »

Well, er a fanny pack is certainly an option.  But not at work.  Also living where I do, with a culture of ranchers and farmers, you would proabaly get a few sideways glances wearing a fanny pack around.  A significant number of people here wear cowboy boots and it's not just for fashaion, they have generally have cow crap all over them.  I would stick out even more than I already do if wore a fanny pack around.

I'll stick the idea of a tuckable holster and investigate them further.

threegun

• Level 3
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2005, 12:06:53 PM »

Twogun, Skip the hawaii shirt and throw on a western style shirt untucked.

Professor

• Level 4
  • The Warlord
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2005, 11:51:03 PM »

Only a Professor would carry his gun in a fag bag !  :-* and tell us why a professor is carrying a gun and a knife, aren't you guys supposed to be very liberal/hoplophobic type long haired hippy types ? ;D

Hank 

Cause it looks good with my half shirt and hot pants.    :-*   

Gemme some sugar....

threegun

• Level 3
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2005, 05:54:16 AM »

Oh man did that paint a horrible picture in my mind LOL.

spanky

• Level 3
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2005, 08:45:10 AM »

Cause it looks good with my half shirt and hot pants.    :-*   

Gemme some sugar....

SMARTASS and Christmas is over  :-* :-* :-*

gumbey

• Level 3
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2005, 06:10:09 PM »

Since the fannypack (I use Blackhawk) doesn't seem appropriate for certain fashions, I only wear fannypack when I'm wearing PT gear, sweater (sometimes),  jeans, and T-shirt (with my motorcycle jacket when it's cold). As a matter of fact, I plan on wearing it to the range this coming Monday. The fannypack is also a great gear for home defense since it can contain other ancillary devices (backup gun, combat light, etc.).

Professor

• Level 4
  • The Warlord
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2005, 10:09:55 PM »

Since the fannypack (I use Blackhawk) doesn't seem appropriate for certain fashions, I only wear fannypack when I'm wearing PT gear, sweater (sometimes),  jeans, and T-shirt (with my motorcycle jacket when it's cold). As a matter of fact, I plan on wearing it to the range this coming Monday. The fannypack is also a great gear for home defense since it can contain other ancillary devices (backup gun, combat light, etc.).

Look at the Maxpedition gear:

(http://www.maxpedition.com).  They have some great options.

Prof

gumbey

• Level 3
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2006, 06:43:58 PM »

For New Year's Resolution, I just bought myself a black-colored Bianchi belt loop hip holster (appendix carry), a black-colored Bianchi leather magazine holster, and a police dress belt. Reason why is that I'm planning to buy a suit in the future and a shoulder rig just won't cut it. And you know what? I'm impressed! My USP .40 easily fit. I don't even have to break the holster in. I even drew the pistol 30 times while wearing a jacket similar to a suit. Perfect, smooth, and fast draw. Perhaps, it the fastest of all the carry methods I use. I am also planning to use it once I get back to using a photographer's vest. Perfect for a suit or a sport jacket. I just love it!!!!! Bought it while browsing some gear after shooting 240 rds. of .40 S&W at the gun range upstairs.

Nick Hughes

• Level 4
    • Fight Survival
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2006, 01:49:29 PM »

Sorry for chiming in late (and no, I haven't read the entire thread) but haven't fag bags gone the way of the dinosaurs due to a) everyone now knows they carry a weapon (including cops and bad guys) and b) because if some snatch and grab guy snatches your bag there goes your weapon?

N
Hard pressed on my right. My center is yielding. Impossible to maneuver. Situation excellent. I am attacking.
--Ferdinand Foch-- at the Battle of the Marne

gumbey

• Level 3
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2006, 09:45:06 AM »

Because of the fannypack's limitations, I seldom use them. And I don't think they have gone the way of the dodo just yet. They are still on sale and I've seen people still using them although the fannypacks they are carrying are not designed to carry a firearm. Speaking of the new Bianchi leather pancake hip  holster (at the strong-side) I just mentioned earlier, I just field-tested them yesterday. Most comfortable form of carry and the fastest in terms of gun presentation. The only drawbacks are that I have to have a very strong belt, the gun w/ holster has to be taken off the beltline when sitting in a public toilet, and access to the pistol is difficult when sitting in the car. By the way, my fannypack has a retention device (have to press a button to let it go) and I don't put my housekeys and my wallet there in the pocket.    
« Last Edit: January 05, 2006, 09:48:36 AM by gumbey »

spanky

• Level 3
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2006, 03:51:12 PM »

gumbey don't get undressed at a public toilet just take the gun out of the holster and put it between your legs  :o :P :o

Hock

• Administrator
  • Level 4
    • www.HocksCQC.com
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2006, 04:47:29 PM »

As one of them thar "cowboy" detectives in the 80s, some of us Texicans didn't hanker to use them thar holsters sometimes! We just tucked our hoglegs into our beltline. We qualified like that and well, that was just what we did off and on for many years. If we went on a raid or special duty we had special gear. I guess by 1988 we all growed-up and wore holsters like them big-city fellers up north.

When I would hit the toilet stall at the police station, I would take my .45 and hang it, by the trigger guard, on the coat hook inside the stall door.

One eventful day, my good buddy Dan McCormick can whistling into the big bathroom, looking for an empty stall. He yanked the door open. It came right open! Filmsy door lock. Of course the pistol slipped off the coat hook and well...

tachy-pysche!  (seeing things is slow motion under stress...)

...the pistol floating in slow motion and it finally hit the tile floor. Me and Dan doing a jig (imagine my position!) dodging the barrel, hoping the rules of the "five .45 safeties" were truly a universal standard. The weapon hit the floor and was no worse for the wear! (who needs a Glock!)   

<<>>

Next bathroom stall, coat hook story.
We worked with a local Texas Ranger that was very forgetful. One day he took his .45 out and hooked it on the coat hook (he by the way, had a HIGHLY decorated, engraved, tooled gun belt) He left the bathroom, and then drove away form the building, leaving his highly engraved .45...dangling from the stall coat hook.

I found it and started laughing. I took it down to our CID Captain because I knew he would love to have that "over" him. The Captain laid the gun on a copy machine and made a paper copy of the pistol. He then took the copy to the stall and punched the coat hook through the trigger guard, leaving the paper copy of the gun on the door.

We left the bathroom and all waited patiently for Ranger "X" to discover his gun was gone and return. About an hour later he wandered back in, his brown, western-cut, polyester jacket covering his empty holster. He wandering through the detective bay, real low-key, and then darted up the stairs to the bathroom.  Like a bunch of damn kids we gathered at the hallway.

"YOU SONS A BITCHES!"

...he roared from the bathroom. He sheepishly came out, shaking his head and waving his paper gun. With this coupon he redeemed his real gun in the Captain's office.

and that's a little bathroom gun humor for you'all.
Your government tax dollars at work!

Hock
« Last Edit: January 17, 2006, 09:25:41 AM by HockHoch@aol.com »

Nick Hughes

• Level 4
    • Fight Survival
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2006, 06:12:53 PM »

What type of carry do I like?....

Mariah :)

N
Hard pressed on my right. My center is yielding. Impossible to maneuver. Situation excellent. I am attacking.
--Ferdinand Foch-- at the Battle of the Marne

gumbey

• Level 3
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2006, 07:58:24 AM »

If I use a public stall, I'm planning to hold my gun that's inside the unattached holster in my non-wiping hand (with finger off trigger, of course, as always) or put in between the handlebars and stall or on top of the toilet paper assembly or whatever can be a stand ( I can even recall one of the malls have a table stand where you could put your belongings thee while you crap or piss in one of the stalls. I've learned how to go about this when I use my Pager Pal holster (used when carrying my .45 in warmer weather) and removed it when using the stall.

gumbey

• Level 3
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2006, 08:47:24 PM »

Tonight, I just recently purchased a Kingston between the legs car seat holster designed for my H&K USP .40 from Desantis online. This is particularly useful since I have trouble accessing my pistol from the strong side with my recently bought Bianchi pancake holster. I'll have to unholster the pistol when seated in the car and I just need a car holster where I can place it. I'd place it on the passenger's seat but it's a big concern if someone, particularly my date, is sitting in the passenger seat.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2006, 08:49:59 PM by gumbey »

gumbey

• Level 3
« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2006, 08:23:05 PM »

Just recieved my car seat holster and field tested it today. Perfect fit for both my .40 and .45.  Easy to draw as well. It also has a spare magazine holder, which I don't use anyway since I can easily access my spare magazine from the weak side. The belt and holster assembly are also very flexible that the gun in the holster won't shift positioning or fall off.  However, I have to be careful not to bump my pistol against the steering wheel when holstering and vice-versa. It will only be used when I'm getting in the car driving and wearing my pancake holster (.40) or my inside-the pants holster (.45) since access to them is difficult when seated with the seatbelt on. When I unbuckle and leave the car, I'll to unholster the firearm form the carseat and reholster my firearm in one of my carry holsters as mentioned here.  Since the visible appearance to onlookers signals a gun in car, the car holster from Desantis will be unlatched and hidden when not in use (not necessary for my shoulder or fannypack holster), when a loaded gun is stored in a locked planner holster in my trunk (if I venture in prohibited areas, such as court, etc.), or when I secure my car for the rest of the day or night. In addition, I've even received a free brochure from the company. I'm looking forward to using this car rig again tomorrow.

Professor

• Level 4
  • The Warlord
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2006, 09:05:47 PM »

Just recieved my car seat holster and field tested it today. Perfect fit for both my .40 and .45.  Easy to draw as well. It also has a spare magazine holder, which I don't use anyway since I can easily access my spare magazine from the weak side. The belt and holster assembly are also very flexible that the gun in the holster won't shift positioning or fall off.  However, I have to be careful not to bump my pistol against the steering wheel when holstering and vice-versa. It will only be used when I'm getting in the car driving and wearing my pancake holster (.40) or my inside-the pants holster (.45) since access to them is difficult when seated with the seatbelt on. When I unbuckle and leave the car, I'll to unholster the firearm form the carseat and reholster my firearm in one of my carry holsters as mentioned here.  Since the visible appearance to onlookers signals a gun in car, the car holster from Desantis will be unlatched and hidden when not in use (not necessary for my shoulder or fannypack holster), when a loaded gun is stored in a locked planner holster in my trunk (if I venture in prohibited areas, such as court, etc.), or when I secure my car for the rest of the day or night. In addition, I've even received a free brochure from the company. I'm looking forward to using this car rig again tomorrow.

Pictures required!!!

Download