W. Hock Hochheim's

Combat Centric

Talk Forum for Military, Police, Martial Artists and Aware Citizenry

Hock Hochheim's Combat Talk Forum

• October 19, 2018, 01:24:48 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Knife by Numbers  (Read 1443 times)

mleone

Knife by Numbers
« on: December 23, 2005, 06:47:47 AM »

I see alot of Knife systems that rely on numbers for angles. I feel this is so over complicated.
Does any one feel the same?
Hocks Clock method seriously out weighs it and is a faster training method. I have trained both and the students retain the clock because its universal.
 :)

Professor

• In your house drinking your coffee
  • Level 4
  • The Warlord
Re: Knife by Numbers
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2005, 09:37:13 AM »

I see alot of Knife systems that rely on numbers for angles. I feel this is so over complicated.
Does any one feel the same?
Hocks Clock method seriously out weighs it and is a faster training method. I have trained both and the students retain the clock because its universal.
 :)

Numbers or the clock.....it's all the same same (sort of).   It's just easier to say than....hit me on a 45 degree angle toward my left shoulder (#1 is easier, 2:00 is easier).

Numbering...depends on the number.....in Presas style, #6 is a stab to the left chest.   (on the clock between the center and 2:00).

Depends on the precision that you need in your system.

Prof

'Advanced' is being able to do the basics, despite what else is happening. 

Our Country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't be any AMERICA because some foreign soldiery will invade us and take our women and breed a hardier race!"  --- Chesty Puller, USMC

Hock

• Administrator
  • Level 4
    • www.HocksCQC.com
Re: Knife by Numbers
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2005, 09:53:37 AM »

Thanks, for those do not know what the clock method is...

I use the "combat" clock and I did not make that up. Many branches of the military, certainly the air forces use universal, clock-face references. The Army used it for quick, firing and manuerving positions. People instantly know where to look or go.

If you lay the clock on the ground, with the 12 numbers and the axis point, you have all the finer points for the universal footwork drills- called by differing systems every-which-way-kinda' thing they make up from system-to-system. Hey, its all just a clock face.

With the stick and the knife you can pick the axis and four clock quadrants for basic training.

12 o'clock or anything from above the center axis
3 o'clock or anything from the right side
6 o'clock or anything from below the center axis
9 o'clock or anything from the left
When you slash a stick and/or a knife you can use all 12 clock numbers.

When you break a simple hand, foot, knife, stick strike delivery down to its four options:
-Thrust or,
-Hook
-Full-force follow-thu or
-Hit and retract
...and you start working these in clock combinations, well... you have it all.

Unforgetable, generic, universal basic training. This clock delivery also frees the mind from the detriment of naming targets, and basing strikes and worse-follow-up strikes on targets. It is more efficient and cleaner to think of delivery angles, because targets move, especially after the first impact. This trains the body to properly strike out when any target appears in an area.

I am the kind of person who is not enamored by the arts. I am enamored only with improvement and success. I was in several Filipino systems for years and years and saw the insane gamut of numbering systems each had. Sub-systems of sub-systems...some even changing every few years. I am the kind of person who just wants to take a bad guy down and out and could care less about a bunch stuff that gets in the way of that.

I slowly discovered that by using the 4 clock quadrants, and the 12 clock numbers I could accomplish EVERYTHING that others were doing, but simpler, faster and smarter. SO much EASIER to remember! Put to use faster, etc. Train larger groups with better retention. No brag. Just simple fact.

Simple, bordering on..."advanced simple," that is about as far as I want to go, and as far as I personally want to teach.

I fully recognize that people are interested in martial systems lke museum pieces of history collection. Go for it. I want you to be happy. I will even help you be if I can. For me, the past exists only to be improved upon.

When we have soldiers, police and citizens to train for combat and survival, a comprimise must be struck, and for me, the ol' militray combat clock, with simple and slightly "advanced-simple" wins hands down.

Hock

Download