W. Hock Hochheim's

Combat Centric

Talk Forum for Military, Police, Martial Artists and Aware Citizenry

Hock Hochheim's Combat Talk Forum

• January 19, 2018, 11:23:48 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: SOCOM II  (Read 2362 times)

Adventure

• Level 4
    • Stay Alive Program inc.
SOCOM II
« on: December 27, 2005, 02:28:18 PM »

I was reading in the American Rifemen about Sringfield Armory's new Socom II scout rife at $1900+ and wanted to know the opinoins of the professionals out there.

I do like want I have read.

threegun

• Level 3
Re: SOCOM II
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2005, 03:07:03 PM »

Adventure, When you are ready, pick an ffl (gun dealer)in your area and our shop will ship it to them for you brand new for $1775 shipped. FFL's  usually charge 25-30 dollars to transfer the firearm into your name. All you need to do is fire us a copy of thier FFL. This is for a brand new in the box Socom II scout rifle.

As for the quality of Springfield rifles, one word, excellent. What task are you planning for this rifle?

TwoGun

• Level 2
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2005, 03:09:01 PM »

I won't make any claims about being a professional, but I will tell you that I like them.  But I am admittedly biased towards the M1A.  The SOCOM II is a great rendition of that rifle.  I have agonized over the Springfield or the AR10 a time or two.  I know a few guys that I have a lot of respect for when it comes to such things and they are sold on both rifles as being supurb weapons.  The SOCOM II is simply handy.  The one I shot was accurate, recoil was very managable and it never bobbled a round.  I liked it a lot.  I just can't justify the price tag for a toy! :(

Adventure

• Level 4
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2005, 05:35:45 PM »

As for the quality of Springfield rifles, one word, excellent. What task are you planning for this rifle?

3G, what is a FFL? (federal firearms Lic ??? )

I spent 6yrs in the Navy as a Gunner's Mate & all I worked on & shot was the M14, so it is the rife I know best & I love it.  :-*  You put out a thread about survival & I would like this rife in my safe for just such event. Plus I feel that if I do want to be on the PD some day I should start learning how to use these tools better just in case the need ever arises.

2G - I understand about the price & it will take awhile for me to save the money for it even through 3G.
David

threegun

• Level 3
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2005, 09:02:32 AM »

Adventurererer, You got it, FFL equals Federal Firearms Licence equals dealers price equals more toys for this boy LOL. My fighting longgun of choice is the ar-15 however the M-14 system is darned good. If you want the rifle give me plenty of time because both distributors were out of stock on it.

Question? Why did you choose this rifle for defense/survival? It is so heavy. Can't carry as much ammo. Recoil while soft for a 308 is much harder than any 223 which translates into a slower rate of accurate fire. I'm not trying to knock your choice just wondering if you knew something I didn't know.

Adventure

• Level 4
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2005, 05:27:25 PM »

Question? Why did you choose this rifle for defense/survival? It is so heavy. Can't carry as much ammo. Recoil while soft for a 308 is much harder than any 223 which translates into a slower rate of accurate fire. I'm not trying to knock your choice just wondering if you knew something I didn't know.

3G,
No, I probably don't know as much as you, it's just the fact that I am very familiar with this weapon from using it in the Navy.
I do have a Fire Fighter/Paramedic that I work with that is a reserve SEAL & has also done some work with Halaberton(sp) in Iraq & I had asked him what they were using over there & what he/they like to use? He said that they would pick up an AK when ever they had the chance; I ask why & he said that he like making sure that what he hit stayed down.

Though I do have a former PD officer friend that made a good argument for me about making sure I had a .223 (in My New Gun Safe that my wife bought me for christmas.) around for small game & easy to teach my wife to shoot on.

Any other ideas I should concider?

Adventure or David

threegun

• Level 3
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2005, 07:15:44 AM »

Put a torso hit on a badguy with a 223 and tell me what happens. My friend (army reserve) said that he fired on one iraqi combatant that he could see the guy, sight him in and fire. The guy fell and later (after the firefight) the guy was still in that spot dead. The round hit center mass and exited. The adrenaline charged bad guy didn't move, just died. Granted a 308 winchester round would have done the same thing however if three badguns were standing side by side, my 223 would allow me to engage them faster. I would be able to stop more threats by virtue of more ammo for the same weight. Your reasoning (expierience) is valid however carring that rifle in the field will make you wish you had learned the ar-15 system instead.

Adventure

• Level 4
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2005, 11:25:39 AM »

Thanks 3G, that was a nice point, & I will give it some very serious thought.
What are some good .223s that civies can own?

P.S. Can I still own the .308 cuz I like it also. ;D

threegun

• Level 3
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2005, 12:43:37 PM »

Listen Adverture, you can use the socom as it will do everything one needs to do to prevail in a gun battle. Heck it can do a few things better than the 223 can. I have found that the ar-15 in the hands of a skilled operator (myself included) can run circles around any other rifle of big bore caliber, not just the m14. I can engage more targets in less time (me personally) with the ar-15 system. I can carry more ammunition and in times of trouble that alone might save you. My weapon is lighter allowing me to either carry more ammo or supplies or be more mobile with the lighter rifle. The only disadvantage is penetration but in the scenarios that I have prepared for this should pose little problem. Not enough problem to give up the speed and ammo advantages anyway. I started using the ar to shoot threegun matches and fell in love. I used an fn-fal for a while then tried the ar and the rest is history as was the fal.

I would go with a bushmaster as Colt is earning a reputation for not being very good anymore. My bushy's work great. I would get their version of the m-4. If you have the cheese get one of Colts accurized rifles in addition to the m-4, a used one if possible to avoid Colt's new reputation. I have one that shoots 1/2 minute of angle @ 100 yards. If you decide to get an ar system let me know and I will try to save you some money.

Adventure

• Level 4
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2005, 08:05:44 PM »

Thanks very much 3G, I will will look into those, because all your points make really good sence.
Thanks for the advice. :)   & I will let you know when I will buy one.

threegun

• Level 3
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2005, 05:36:03 AM »

Cool

Download