W. Hock Hochheim's

Combat Centric

Talk Forum for Military, Police, Martial Artists and Aware Citizenry

Hock Hochheim's Combat Talk Forum

• March 18, 2018, 03:47:13 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Eyes Fall Short  (Read 924 times)

• Administrator
  • Level 4
Eyes Fall Short
« on: February 06, 2006, 11:41:26 PM »

Ever get old enough that you have to hold your newspaper futher from your eyes to read it? I wear simple glasses for this task now.

But, I did a little shooting today and noted that I had to alter my two hand grip significantly to get the front sight into focus, pushing my pistol even further forward than a comfortable bladed stance I'm use to.  Of course the whole world then becomes a blur past the barrel.

I put on my reading glasses and the front sight came into clean focus and the sight was not needed that that far away from my eyes. More normal for me. But the whole world beyond became even worse blur than before. I could not discern the bullseye. I guessed about where the mid-target was. You might call it frustrated "point shooting," in a way.

I still shot my...usual average scores.

I mentioned here a while back that both the front and rear sight of a rifle were blurry to me now.

I wonder how many shooters of all ages and with near and far sightedness struggle through these problems? How many pistol instructors and pro shooters do not have these problems, cannot relate at all to the rest of the folks with "lesser" eyes?

« Last Edit: February 07, 2006, 09:56:46 AM by »

Nick Hughes

• Level 4
    • Fight Survival
Re: Eyes Fall Short
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2006, 08:59:25 AM »

Aye, there's the rub (no pun intended)

There's always wizards out there that can perform super-human feats but instructors need to be concerned with the 'average' person who doesn't have the eyes of a hawk and may wear correctional lenses (I remember in the FBI version of the Miami shoot-out the lead agent wore glasses and lost them during the fight.  Normally a superb shot he was as much use as an emergency brake in a kayak once he lost them)

One of the things that always gets me about a lot of the 'supermen' out there (and this in no way is designed to detract from what they can do) is that few of them are able to teach anyone else to be able to accomplish what they can.

Things like blurry eyes (just awoken at 0200 to a noise in the house anyone?) failing vision, blood or other foreign agents in the eyes all effect every day people.

That's why I like this forum...and Hock's stuff in general...because it's more about getting the average guy up to speed where he can survive, not churning out "one in a hundred" champions that are blessed with a lot of genetics to begin with.
Hard pressed on my right. My center is yielding. Impossible to maneuver. Situation excellent. I am attacking.
--Ferdinand Foch-- at the Battle of the Marne

Stephen A. Camp

• Forum Member
Re: Eyes Fall Short
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2006, 09:00:44 PM »

Hello, Hock, and welcome to the damned club!  I first experienced what you are describing a few years ago and wound up having some shooting glasses made that are pretty much doing the same thing your reading glasses are.

It is really sad, at least to me, that I cannot get the super sharp focus on the front sight that I once could.

I sincerely hope that the glasses thing helps.  Fortunately for me, I can see best w/o eyeglasses insofar as the front sight is concerned and plenty good out to 15 or twenty yards in terms of target identification, but at the range I prefer to wear some sort of eye protection; thus, the prescription glasses.

Went the bifocal route, but for me it didn't work too well.  I would wind up looking through the wrong part of the lens or wind up with reflections or something so that I had two sight pictures at the same time!!!!! (I'm surprised you didn't hear the cursing from wherever you were at the time!

Best and good luck.