Combat Centric

Talk Forum for Military, Police, Martial Artists and Aware Citizenry

Hock Hochheim's Combat Talk Forum

• October 20, 2018, 11:27:29 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Removing my butt cheek with a Glock  (Read 10269 times)

seanross

• Level 3
    • Sean's Home Page
Removing my butt cheek with a Glock
« on: February 07, 2006, 07:37:17 PM »

I have been contemplating the purchase of a Glock 30 with a clipdraw for concealed carry.  I like the idea of no holster.  My concern is one of safety.  If I put a cocked and locked Glock (wow! poetic ;) ) on a clip with the muzzle pointing at my butt cheeks, what is the likelihood that the trigger safety will foul on some clothing or something and I will inadvertently become a half ass?  Even worse, If I decide on appendix carry, what is the chance the Glock's only safety - the trigger- will catch on something and I become a eunuch?
"Do not imitate the ancient masters.  Seek what they sought!"

threegun

• Level 3
Re: Removing my butt cheek with a Glock
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2006, 03:02:33 PM »

Seanross, I have carried inside the waist (without a clip just pressed between my pants and fat) for over 5 years now and have had no problems. Once in you are safe. I would suggest a modest amount of caution be used in putting it in just to make sure. I haven't even come close to snagging on anything. Once you start the worry will subside....mine did.

Professor

• In your house drinking your coffee
  • Level 4
  • The Warlord
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2006, 08:38:52 PM »

I have been contemplating the purchase of a Glock 30 with a clipdraw for concealed carry.  I like the idea of no holster.  My concern is one of safety.  If I put a cocked and locked Glock (wow! poetic ;) ) on a clip with the muzzle pointing at my butt cheeks, what is the likelihood that the trigger safety will foul on some clothing or something and I will inadvertently become a half ass?  Even worse, If I decide on appendix carry, what is the chance the Glock's only safety - the trigger- will catch on something and I become a eunuch?

Darwin has you on the watch list.   

Don't do this....get a proper holster that covers the trigger.   ::)
  'Advanced' is being able to do the basics, despite what else is happening. 

Our Country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't be any AMERICA because some foreign soldiery will invade us and take our women and breed a hardier race!"  --- Chesty Puller, USMC

Crazyguywithasword

• Level 1
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2006, 07:04:33 PM »

A friend of mine is a detective in montgomery county, MD and had the fortunate duty of responding to a guy who had pull a glock out of his "thunderwear" and having it go off upon drawing.....ridding him of his friendly parts.

threegun

• Level 3
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2006, 05:47:10 AM »

Try ON AN EMPTY CHAMBER to pull the trigger on the pistol while it is in your waist. I find it almost impossible to do with jeans on and difficult with most clothing.

Professor

• Level 4
  • The Warlord
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2006, 07:32:39 AM »

Try ON AN EMPTY CHAMBER to pull the trigger on the pistol while it is in your waist. I find it almost impossible to do with jeans on and difficult with most clothing.

The problem is not accidently engaging the trigger through your clothes....The problem is with indexing the trigger when you pull it out.

Holsters have been around a LONG time for a reason -- but then again, the gene pool is self-skimming.

Our Country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't be any AMERICA because some foreign soldiery will invade us and take our women and breed a hardier race!"  --- Chesty Puller, USMC

threegun

• Level 3
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2006, 07:52:22 AM »

Professor,

The problem is not accidently engaging the trigger through your clothes....The problem is with indexing the trigger when you pull it out.

Anyone with less than 100 percent trigger finger control souldn't own a Glock to begin with. Never had an AD in more than a decade of Glockin. I've carried, practiced, and competed with them with no problems. Gotta have trigger disciplin though.

cgonzales

• Level 3
  • NEMO ME IMPUNE LACESSIT
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2006, 08:22:34 AM »

its not if but when
"HE THAT HATH NO SWORD, LET HIM SELL HIS GARMENT AND BUY ONE."
Jesus Christ (Luke 22:36)

Professor

• Level 4
  • The Warlord
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2006, 09:06:37 AM »

Professor,

Anyone with less than 100 percent trigger finger control souldn't own a Glock to begin with. Never had an AD in more than a decade of Glockin. I've carried, practiced, and competed with them with no problems. Gotta have trigger disciplin though.

I personally don't like Glocks for a lot of reasons, but they have their place..  I prefer a 1991 -- much better triggers and a manual safety.   

I own and use a Glock.   They are as safe as a revolver.   

--- just to reiterate.....use a holster that covers the trigger.   

YMMV.

threegun

• Level 3
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2006, 06:24:55 PM »

Prof, Used to carry 1911's, combat commanders, ect. Once I found the Glock, it was all over. Now I stay with the same system and will not carry another handgun except as a backup. Nothing out there can do what the Glock can. Fastest second shot, 100percent reliability, low bore axis, toughest finish, more accuracy than I can extract and a consistent trigger from first to last shot.

seanross

• Level 3
    • Sean's Home Page
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2006, 07:24:35 PM »

Thanks for the lively debate over the fate of my 'nads should I choose to carry holsterless.  The www.clipdraw.com people make a little plastic insert that goes behind the trigger of a Glock.  I think I will check that out.

What I am looking for is a small frame .45 which I can put both a laser sight and a light and that can be clipped.  1911 commanders do 2 of the three, but you can't put a light on them.  Glock 30 does all three, but has a problem with trigger safety.

Anyone know of any other options.

threegun

• Level 3
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2006, 05:50:44 AM »

If you don't pull the trigger you don't have a problem with the 30. Its your jewels use the appropriate caution. I practice trigger finger discipline don't you. If the answer is yes, the the 30 is your gun.

Dude it takes 5.5 pounds of pull to pop a round off, if you are that incompetant with a handgun you ought not carry for the publics sake. I'm not knocking or attacking you, just making a point. One the plus side, it will outperform everything else out there.

Professor

• Level 4
  • The Warlord
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2006, 06:56:43 AM »

Nothing out there can do what the Glock can. Fastest second shot, 100percent reliability, low bore axis, toughest finish, more accuracy than I can extract and a consistent trigger from first to last shot.

You're nuts.   ::)   

This is a bold overly general declaration for tupperware with a bad trigger.

threegun

• Level 3
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2006, 08:09:13 AM »

Thats the beauty of it. The trigger is horrible compared to the 1911 yet it shoots better than you can even with the bad trigger.  There are guns that are close but none as as good in every aspect. We can just take bore axis. The glock sit lower in hand than any other gun. This alone gives the Glock a decided advantage in reduced muzzel rise since the lower bore axis causes recoil to push rearward as aposed to flipping upward. That means faster more accurate second shots (given the same ability). Now combine this with the faster resetting trigger meaning less milliseconds spent traveling foward with you finger to reset the trigger. Plus recoil that is absorbed by the polymere grip. Once you master the trigger (get used to it is more like it) you will be faster with the Glock than any other gun of like caliber.

I am slightly retarded but not nuts.

arnold

• the king of cool
  • Level 4
  • oh that will get you killed
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2006, 01:25:04 PM »

Professor, I like the glorified Tupperware comment. As for tall of the opinions on the glock on the parts of one of our writers, yes I agree that the Glock can do many things well, but as the do all, end all handgun? I don't think so. I have had the opportunity over the past 30 years to to be able to handle almost all of the new and old handguns that have come out to the general public. And what do I consistently carry, the same old 45 commander that i have had for more than 20 years. It has NEVER failed, not once, not ever, not jammed, zippo. Why, because I maintain my weapons. As for the recoil, low axis and everything else, along with the comment of faster followup, I just don't and haven't seen it. How can you shoot faster with a trigger you don't like in the first place, or that has been described as bad? Why do all elite US fighting units choose a 1911 style 45 if they can? The reason is cause it works. Not saying the Glock doesn't, but this is their choice for a reason. Yes and I use a holster all of the time, even though am getting old and fat.
I leave you idiots alone for 5 minutes and I come back and you're all dancing around like a bunch of Kansas City faggots
you're all a bunch of slack jawed faggots around here, this stuff will make you a sexual tyrannosaurus, just like me!

Nick Hughes

• Level 4
    • Fight Survival
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2006, 03:29:08 PM »

I'm waiting to see the new Springfield in .45 that holds 13+1...I may give up my Glock for that one.

N
Hard pressed on my right. My center is yielding. Impossible to maneuver. Situation excellent. I am attacking.
--Ferdinand Foch-- at the Battle of the Marne

threegun

• Level 3
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2006, 05:28:49 AM »

Ninor, I garauntee you that you will come back to the Glock. I have shot the Kimber polymere gold match and it shoots great. It just kicks harder, rises more, and is heavier than my Glock. I decided after much toying to stay with ugly (Glock).

Arnold, Fat is great for holding a gun without a holster in you waist believe me I know LOL. Now back to the Glock vs (all the other less adequate guns). The trigger on my 23 is a mere 3.5lbs all the time. It isn't super crisp like the 1911's can be but it is okay. I can shoot my Glock at combat distances 0-10 yards with no difference in group size between the two guns (glock vs 1911). The only accuracy advantage enjoyed by the 1911 is from 10 yards plus however it is very slight and will not change the outcome of any shooting. So if my tactical tuppaware shoots faster with the same accuracy, kicks and weights less, and is almost as accurate why not brag. I will shoot with anybody on this board with any handgun including raceguns in any combat styled tournament with my Glock and garauntee that no one will embarrass me, even if they are better skilled. The Glock and I are that good together.

Nick Hughes

• Level 4
    • Fight Survival
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2006, 08:30:11 AM »

Arnold,

The fat comment that three gun mentions brings up a great point.

I'm always very dubious about the big fat gun toting, cigar smoking, beer swilling slob who subscribes to gun mags and touts self defense and survival to anyone who'll listen.

If they were really concerned about survival they'd begin with being in superb physical condition, and dropping the smokes.  They seem to conveniently forget that strokes and heart attacks kill way more people than gun battles with bad guys. :)

N
Hard pressed on my right. My center is yielding. Impossible to maneuver. Situation excellent. I am attacking.

threegun

• Level 3
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2006, 07:28:54 PM »

Ninor, I ain't that fat dude. Plus I don't smoke or drink (much). Not to mention that survival mode is not needed yet and my fridge is full lol. I do have hundreds of gun magazines from years past but haven't subscribed in years.

Don't forget in survival mode the fat guy dies last when the food runs out ;D.

Nick Hughes

• Level 4
    • Fight Survival
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2006, 09:47:34 PM »

3gun, that wasn't aimed at you at all amigo...you mentioned the bit about fat and it reminded me of those clowns.  I run into them here at the gun show all the time...450 pounds with a cheek full of 'baccy' and a keg in the car worried about a speed draw holster in case they get in a shoot out.  They'd be funny if they weren't so sad.

Re guaranteeing I'll go back to the Glock...mate there are no guarantees in life except death and taxes.  The Springfield has only been released at the Shot show the other day so until I shoot it, there's no guarantee either way. 

Let's assume for a minute it was better than the Glock (you must have had another favorite before Gaston invented his super pistol :)) why would I switch back? You can't seriously tell me that there could never be a gun better than a Glock.

N

threegun

• Level 3
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2006, 05:56:00 AM »

Ninor,

You can't seriously tell me that there could never be a gun better than a Glock.

I would never say that. I will say that the 1911 system cannot be better than GG's little black wonder. The 1911 closest to the abilities of the Glock to date was that polymer Kimber I tried. While it held as much ammo, muzzle rise was more severe and it was heavier. The difference in accuracy was not enough to overide the other difficiencies. You will shoot you springfield well but after the newness wares off and reality settles in the Glock will rise again.

The future could produce an adequate competetor. Like the single action army, and 1911 dominated in their times....the Glock is the best combat pistol .........right now. When you run back to it be a big boy and tell us about it. I promise I won't rub it in. ;)

Professor

• Level 4
  • The Warlord
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2006, 09:22:03 AM »

3gun, that wasn't aimed at you at all amigo...you mentioned the bit about fat and it reminded me of those clowns.  I run into them here at the gun show all the time...450 pounds with a cheek full of 'baccy' and a keg in the car worried about a speed draw holster in case they get in a shoot out.  They'd be funny if they weren't so sad.

N

Yes,  as they compete in IDPA events....

"Let's watch fat fly"

(thanks for the line Arnold)

By the way,   Arnold only has a fat head -- don't let him fool you.

threegun

• Level 3
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2006, 09:51:16 AM »

Hey at my last threegun match it was required to slide thru a large black tube lying on the floor before grabbing your pistol to engage several steel targets. A fella with a huge beer style belly was on deck so I waited for his turn watching thinking to myself how he was getting out once stuck LOL. I was amazed as he shot (no pun intended) thru that tube faster than most half his size. He body did move like a waterbed. Fat boy shot well also.

arnold

• the king of cool
  • Level 4
  • oh that will get you killed
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2006, 10:54:19 AM »

professor,
I think the term is "thick headed" which comes with being highly opinionated!
I leave you idiots alone for 5 minutes and I come back and you're all dancing around like a bunch of Kansas City faggots
you're all a bunch of slack jawed faggots around here, this stuff will make you a sexual tyrannosaurus, just like me!

Hock

• Administrator
  • Level 4
    • www.HocksCQC.com
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2006, 11:10:22 AM »

Heeey "Arnold!"

I need your new "ratdog" email. can you email me?

Hock

seanross

• Level 3
    • Sean's Home Page
Differing apparatus for removing body parts
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2006, 06:53:42 PM »

Thank you all for your comments.  The debate over holsters and flab was truly .... :-\ .

The point is somewhat mute as I just put 1/2 down on a Paraordnance Lite Hawg.  I will probably go with an in-the-pants holster but may go with the clipdraw.  Haven't decided.  Also got one of the Insight X2 laser lites.

I decided to go with the Lite Hawg due to:

1) grip as well as mechanical safety
2) compact .45 with 10+1
3) something about the aesthetics of the exagerated beaver tail and the compact look just inspired me
4) The name is about as stupid a name for a gun as I can think of.  The parent model is the "Warthog", a version with night sites is called the "Night Hawg" and the one with picatinny rails is the "Lite Hawg".  If I ever have to use the thing and defend myself, the lawyers will just not be able to paint me as a violent maniac with a gun called a "Hawg".  A hick label might work, but not on me.

Only real drawback is the price.  $900.  I could have purchased two Glocks or two XD45's for that price, but I just didn't like any of the other railed small .45's as well.

threegun

• Level 3
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2006, 02:10:03 PM »

Lasers are garbage. In the time it takes your brain to register the red dots position then send the signal to your finger to fire, you could have fired two accurate shots using your sights. That combined with the laser giving away your position to your adversary make it (do do) if you know what I mean. Aesthetics should never be a serious consideration. How it points/feels in your hand, reliability,accuracy, safety, ect are the truely important considerations. Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. My ugly on the outside Glock is the most beautiful, precious combat handgun I have ever had the honor of shooting. I understand, as I hold my Glock, that I have the very best fighting handugn in my hand. They won't win any beauty contests but they will give me the very best chance of surviving a gunfight. That is beatiful to me.

Nick Hughes

• Level 4
    • Fight Survival
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2006, 09:52:46 PM »

Good God, I actually agree with 3 guns ;D  Lasers are bollocks.  The only reason I can see for them is psychological intimidation when used by a SWAT team and the bad guy looks down and sees them dancing all over his body and gives up.

N

seanross

• Level 3
    • Sean's Home Page
« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2006, 10:11:15 PM »

As a relatively new shooter, I do not have years invested in learning to use the sights.  The problem I see with shooting from the sights is that your focus is on the front sight of your pistol, not the guy who may be shooting at you.  The X2 has laser and light come on simultaneously with the same switch, so you aren't giving anything away that a light wouldn't.  A 5mW red dot laser isn't visible outside in normal daylight anyway - this is only for indoor shooting or low light conditions.  I can't see how it can hurt.  It seems like a laser is an ideal way to point shoot with greater accuracy.

No way to find out but to try it for myself.

Nick Hughes

• Level 4
    • Fight Survival
« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2006, 10:44:35 PM »

If your sight is on the guy then it's the same as if your laser is on the guy.  I.e. if you then jerk the trigger at that point, flinch or he moves for example you'll miss.  It doesn't take any more time to learn how to line up the sights than it does to learn to use the laser.

What will you do if you go to use the laser and it doesn't function?  Oops.  What if you're outside in bright sunlight?  Got to use the sites again anyway, only now you're trying to learn how in the middle of a shoot out.

People put all their faith in technology and then when it fails (which it will, guaranteed) they're buggered.

N
Pages: [1] 2 3

Download