Combat Centric

Talk Forum for Military, Police, Martial Artists and Aware Citizenry

Hock Hochheim's Combat Talk Forum

• January 18, 2018, 11:59:45 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Angry, Sad, Fearful RBSD People  (Read 24323 times)

mleone

Angry, Sad, Fearful RBSD People
« on: February 08, 2006, 11:14:29 AM »

Here is an article from a well known Martial Artist who heads a system!
Lets hear some feelings about this article!

One would think that by training in "street" orientated martial arts, or combatives that emphasize the self defense aspects of martial arts, to the exclusion of what they deem to be "sports" training, that these types of individuals would gain more confidence, more peace, more happiness, and become more comfortable within them as their skills at 'self-defense' grew. Unfortunately, it has been my experience that the opposite seems to be true. Individuals that come to strictly "street" orientated martial arts, that were already prone to feelings of inadequacy, shame, physiological fear, and paranoia tend to have those qualities magnified by such training, rather then eased.

I wouldn't ask anyone to take my word for it with that assessment. Instead I would suggest one visit the nearest "mercenary" convention, combatives or "street" martial arts forums, or speak with these individuals in person. This sadness, anger, and immense fear is palpable when you are forced to spend anytime around these types of individuals. Try reading the posts at the "street" forums. Many tend to read like angry notes from disgruntled 13-year-old boys. There is talk of "tearing out the mo-fo's eyes", biting, and various vicious things that can be done to the attackers. The posts speak to an intense anger and fear in the writers, and sadly, the Instructors of such curriculums cater to this need by exploiting their target audiences obvious weakness, and emotional frailty. – MT
« Last Edit: February 08, 2006, 03:04:58 PM by HockHoch@aol.com »

Crazyguywithasword

• Level 1
Re: Article
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2006, 11:43:33 AM »

The sad part is, he's got a point (I know who wrote it but I wont mention names.) A lot of "self defense" people dont train athletically and rest on theory and compliant training and don't pressure test. Also, if you compare the average "street" guy versus the average sport guy, you're gonna find that the average sport fighter is in much better shape. So, what does this mean? As self-protection practictioners we should work against resistance and work on conditioning just as hard as the sport guy, so we're well rounded and get the benefits that "sport" training has to offer.

mleone

Re: Angry, Sad, Fearful RBSD People
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2006, 03:21:39 PM »

Well some of his guys feel we train "Dead Patterns". Matt Strongly feels there is no need for dead patterns even for the novice.

mleone

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2006, 04:20:33 PM »

Matt Thornton Interview 5/22/03 (Sitting here & looking back.)
Once and for all Matt, would you please state where you started or who
you're main influences have been in the martial arts / self-defense and
combative sport?
I have had many coaches and influences. In boxing I was coached by the
late Jesse Sandavol, to name but one. I have had many boxing coaches as
I began boxing long before taking up Martial Arts. It was no doubt my
boxing background that helped keep my off the "goofy" path many people
become lost in within the Martial Arts world.
Lately, when I look for inspiration and new direction with my stand up
training, I look to my own people, like Rodney King. I feel Rodney is
probably the best stand up Coach I have ever worked with.
Where then did JKD come in? With whom did you train that called what
they did JKD?
I began training JKD with one of Paul Vunak’s first Instructors by the
name of Mike Patke in the late 80's. I was attracted to JKD because it
used boxing hands, and Mike was not asking me to change that structure.
I worked with Mike for about two Years, and then had to transfer jobs to
Portland. I was encouraged by him to teach at that time, but had little
to no interest doing that. I was interested in finding another
Instructor and continuing training. I met up with some of Steve Golden’s
people here, but was not interested in that as they were not placing any
emphasis on boxing skills. A short time later I met an Inosanto
Instructor. We trained together for about a Year, and then opened up a
school together (the old Portland Martial Arts academy). I began
teaching JKD at this Inosanto affiliated school in Portland Oregon where
I had a partnership with this Inosanto Associate. During that time I
taught about 70% of the classes, and the curriculum was basic Kali, Muay
Thai, and Jun Fan. (Although when left to my own devices it was mostly
boxing).
Around the same time I taught at that Inosanto affiliated school I also
worked out with a PFS Instructor named Tom Cruse, who lived in Eugene
Oregon. I picked up the rest of the PFS curriculum from Tom, and we
became pretty good friends.
I received a Full Instructors certificate from Vunak, through my
training with Tom.
I parted company with that Inosanto Affiliated School after about three
Years due to major philosophical differences. That was over ten Years
ago now.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Were you then affiliated with PFS ?

No. My PFS training was primarily through Cruse, and Patke. I have met
Paul Vunak three times in my life, once when he attended a tournament I
was competing in, and twice at seminars. Though I was listed as a full
Instructor in his Probe magazine, I never ran a PFS gym and ever since
that time (ten years ago) we went and have gone in very different
directions. The SBG is not related to PFS in any form. I do consider
Paul a friend, and he seems to feel the same way. Because of this
relationship, some people seem to mistakenly label the SBG as a PFS type
school, but our methods are very, very different. Many of the SBG
Coaches are still currently recognized as Full Instructors under Vu and
can attest better than I as to the differences between the two methods
today. I have not trained in that curriculum for many Years
Did you train with any other JKD(c) Instructors?
Yes, During that time, I also had the privilege of meeting and training
with just about every JKDC Instructor out there, from Dan Inosanto (who
taught about four or five seminars at our school while I was there), to
Richard Bustillo, Ted Lucay Lucay, Chai, Steve Plinck, Paul De Thouras,
Chris Kent, Burton Richardson, etc.
Dan Inosanto attended the grand opening of our newer Portland Gym about
six Years later. Although we have very different training methods I
respect the man greatly, and he has given the Gym, my seminars, and our
products, many unsolicited recommendations.
Burton Richardson is probably my closest friend when it comes to people
that are widely acknowledged as JKD. Our weapons curriculum comes from
Burt, and he is a great guy! Burt and I have trained many times with
each other. Most recently when I filmed a video set for his company,
High Performance videos, and taught a seminar at his club. I can
honestly say we train in a very similar manner. And he is one of the
only JKD Instructors I have run across that I can honestly say that
about. Burt is an excellent Coach.
_____---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 08:11:26 AM by Hock »

JimH

• Level 4
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2006, 04:30:03 PM »

Matt deals in sport,Matt sells sport,do I have to spend years kicking with intent,punching with intent, grappling(stand up and Ground)with intent and stick Fighting with intent to learn to defend myself on the street?

Do I have to pretend I am fighting a UFC,K1 or some other sports super star in order to be able to quickly defeat an attacker on the street?

Must I train 2-3 hours perday to fight a MMA type fight on the street?

Train aliveness,yes I agree.
Train with realism,yes I agree.
Train Scenarios that provide different aspects to attacks and defenses that stay in the memory bank,yes I agree(Mattt disagrees with scenarios).

Matt is a JKD guy selling sport over Self Defense,although I like his materials he believes sport and self defense are the same,I do not sorry.

To say that people who train solely for the street are inadequate,or paranoid is a leap,when we think that many of his followers train for hours for a sport that only a handful will become good at.

I do not believe that one must be an athletic physical speciman to be able to go home from a street encounter.
Look at the founder and assistant of Sayoc,they are not the picture of Arnold Schwarzenegger or of a trained athlete, but I would bet my money on one of those guys in a street encounter.

I do believe that there are no rules,as in MMA sport,yes I would attack the eyes,the throat,the face ,the ears,from the collar bone up is the computer which runs the whole system,cause a stutter in the connection and you have an opportunity to act or get away,to not use these points of advantage in a fight is a joke and if Matt or his followers were in a stret fight going for a pin over attacking the computer they would be up craps creek.

Again I like much of Matts writtings and concepts,but Matt is not into scenarios as he is selling to a sports base,not a street defense base,not everyone wants sport,not everyone wants health aspects,not everyone wants an art,many who participate in those aspects do not want street,some want street only,street and devlepoing a rapid attack sequence to attack scenarios can be quickly taught and quickly learned and this does not fit an art or sport mentality or sport environment.

Are scenarios dead drills? No
Aliveness is not a dead drill,of course not it is alive,lol.
Some aspects of training in patterns and drills may seem like dead drills ,but they are tool development drills and become alive when they are introduced into scenarios.

One could say that shadow boxing is a dead drill,although since it is done by MMA trainers it is said to be changable,and not stagnant so it is really alive,but is it?

It is the training of tools,but it is not done against pressure,it is not done against an opponent,it is done solo,it becomes alive when the tools trained are used under pressure against an opponent.

Aliveness training is pressure testing,is actual combat, is actual fighting in sport ,is actual usage of scenarios,is reality,they are all the same meaning under different terminology,if we employ any training under realistic conditions for usage to find what truly works we are using aliveness and we are using pressure testing.

Everyone coins terms to be a standout ,to be different,but the truth is it all means the same thing,everyone wants to be teaching something new  when nothing is new it is just revisited .

In 1969-1970 when I started you trained everything for real,TMA's were real,there was no distinction between street and sport it was all contact,pressure and pain,because of insurance,lawsuits and injuries schools moved away from realism and now people want it back so they look to Reality arts to street arts,because most TMA,MMA,arts and styles all show you self dfense many without pressure ,some as sport contact within rules,most without realism of street.

Matts articles and views are for the sake of his people to allow them to believe they are safe in what they do and that they are on the right track and not to doubt they could use their training as Self Defense because they use the net and they are seeing what Reality and street people do and they are doubting their ability for true self defense,most could not use their MMA on the street,maybe Matt and a few others can but not the majority.

My opinion anyway

JimH

• Level 4
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2006, 04:57:06 PM »

Matt always says he is not JKD,he is not PFS ,yet isnt SBG (straight blast gym )and isn't Straight Blast a JKD term and use for constant attack and pressure,through punching mainly as in wing chun and as in Paul Vunaks Rapid Assault Training.

Didn't Matt also make functional JKD videos and do seminars on those topics?

Matt says he is not JKD yet he says he is the only one who has truly captured what Bruce Lee was attempting to get across.

Matt is a salesman and he is selling his view and getting interest in what he teaches

JKD was not supposed to be defined as an art ,yet all the followers have turned it into an art or a style made of of individual speciality arts,SBGI included.

My view

Kentbob

• JOAT
  • Level 4
  • Sound the horn and call the cry
    • Antrim Self-Protection
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2006, 05:04:17 PM »

Must I train 2-3 hours perday to fight a MMA type fight on the street?

Uh-oh, Jim, you said the magic words.  I'm expecting Wardog any moment now...

Kent
"Specialization is for insects."-Robert A. Heinlein

http://antrimmasp.blogspot.com/

Nick Hughes

• Level 4
    • Fight Survival
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2006, 08:24:19 PM »

He did a drive by over on Geoff's Thompson's forum to try and pick up a few converts but I think he lost them when he implied we're (RBSD folk) are all fat overweight afraid etc.  Dennis Martin and his crew are some of the most in-shape fookers I've seen...I have one of his DVD's of a seminar and there isn't one person on it carrying a spare five pounds.  Lee Morrison is another fella in great shape as is Mick Coup et al.

Most of my crew have six packs so I don't know who exactly he's referring to when he lumps us all in one big group...Two of my guys are nationaly rated competitors in the world's strongest man competition and the oldest one won a local comp and gained a slot in the Nationals should he want it.

The thing I found really odd was he talked about their (RBSD) people's insecurity...I went to his web site and he had at least six - yep, six - articles about MMA being superior to RBSD and how good they are in the street etc.  My question was doesn't that seem a little bit insecure?  Couldn't he make the point with just one article?

He replied and said there were actually more than six due to his having to respond constantly to allegations that MMA is not the best thing if you're concerned with self defense.  I still think you could answer it with just one but hey, that's just me.

As for live training and no drills...same old tired argument...no you shouldn't stay in drill mode forever but the whole idea of throwing someone in the deep end from the get go is just plain ig'nant.  If someone comes to me to learn to swim they start on a bench on the side of the pool...then they go in the shallow end and hold on to the side while they drill in the correct method to kick and breathe...then they tie the strokes from the bench in with the kicking and breathing and it's a process.  Following his method I should do what?...toss them in the deep end?

Everything I've ever done...whether it was high speed driving courses, skydiving, scuba diving, shooting, flying a plane...it was all a systematic process and I was never thrown in the deep end without loads of drilling on dry land so to speak.  Paul Howe (ex-Delta) who wrote "Leadership and Training to Fight" told Marcus Wynne that most shooting ability comes from fifteen minutes of DRY FIRE practise that he (and others) performs religously every day.

N
Hard pressed on my right. My center is yielding. Impossible to maneuver. Situation excellent. I am attacking.
--Ferdinand Foch-- at the Battle of the Marne

bsp98st

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2006, 02:10:12 PM »

There're angry, sad and fearful people everywhere.  Anyone making that kind of generalization needs to get over himself.  Are all MMA people positive, happy, and courageous?  Come on!  There're enough thugs and wannabe's in the sport to fill a whole universe (not all of course).  Does all their trash talking WWF style inform the masses what martial arts is all about?  If so, they're also angry, sad, and fearful.

ST

Bri Thai

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2006, 05:19:15 PM »

Now be fair.

As long as guys like Phil Elmore are about, the RBSD people are going to be labelled as fat, lazy, wannabe knobs.

No offence Phil -  ;)

tlouis

• Level 3
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2006, 06:12:11 PM »

I want to know whats wrong with biting?

bsp98st

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2006, 07:22:37 PM »

BT,

That was a bloody low blow, my friend.

ST

Bri Thai

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2006, 02:53:20 AM »

I guess it is.  But it sure is a valid point.

No hard training.  No real world experience.  No tolerance of the views of others.  No understanding of all the issues involved.  No open mind.  No credibility.

But lots of "expert" articles.

Benjamin Liu

• Level 4
Re: Article
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2006, 04:32:56 PM »

Matt Thorton might be suffering from extremist prejudice?  Amateur Psych Doc Thorton takes a magic look into the ALL the heads of all and "deems' these folks immensely sad and angry and afraid.

Or trying to take a business stand in mixed market place?

IMO the real motive here is money.  He's selling his product and services.  Even if people don't live close enough to train with him, as long as his faction of the martial arts field is promoted and other factions condemned, it helps his business indirectly.  In any given city no one school can handle all interested students, so if grappling is made out to be the "ulimate style" that the bulk of the consumers want to train in, it helps all the grappling schools.  I the dominant type of system in people's minds is RBSD, then it helps all RBSD schools in the area.

I don't agree with the hostility between styles, but that is the way many people market their schools.  The Gracies and other UFC types promoted themselves in the early 1990s by bad-mouthing all other styles and some RBSD guys (especially people like Jerry Peterson) do the same thing in their ads.The negativity attracts a certain type of student, and I guess the guys that do it want those types as students/customers.   

Benjamin Liu

• Level 4
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2006, 04:42:52 PM »

It's been a while since I've read any of Phil's posts but IIRC he never said he was an expert and even stated that he wasn't.  He does/did train in traditional styles and unless we train with him neither of us really knows how he trains.

bsp98st

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2006, 09:58:15 PM »

Whether I feel Phil's work is completely helpful to me or not, Phil has always been pretty nice to me personally.  I'm not sure where his intolerance comes from.  Not from my experience. Having said that, I also find BT a very nice person as well.

ST

Bri Thai

« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2006, 12:29:03 AM »

Perhaps I'm being unfair having a go without him answering.  But I do find that he only tends to debate when he has the control of the moderating facilities.

bsp98st

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2006, 10:49:55 AM »

BT,

I have seen you two having heated debates in the Senshido forum.  In all fairness, I have learned something from your exchange.  You're just wired differently and have different preferences.  That was what I came away with.  I really did not feel that I respect either of you less, but that's just me.

ST

Bri Thai

« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2006, 02:19:49 PM »

No worries bud.

I just like people who train hard and have experience, if they want to tell us all how it is. 

As I remember, the big debate with Porker Elmore was about Wing Chun.  His Sifu was the bees knees and knew everything....  But not any more.  He no longer trains with Sifu, as the training got hard.

Phil is the embodiment of what anti Combatives guys are getting at. 
« Last Edit: February 13, 2006, 02:22:36 PM by Bri Thai »

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2009, 11:12:57 AM »

All-I have read the posts on this subject- I see their a  lot of varied opinions here.
Sense I use this forum as a training tool I would ask the following question.
"What in your opinion is the optimum way to approach training"

In addition  talking about  "Shadow boxing" - I trained in the same gym as a 5th Group
SSgt who every time he came to train in the gym he shadow boxed first by him self-
and told me the following:

You need a plan---1-Primary   2-altenate  3-emergancy==in order to win......

As far as the angry the sad  and the fearful= IMHO only-the student who exibits those type problems have had them long before they got on the mat-for what eve reason they still have them-if you are a instructor you should assist in attempting to get them to overcome them not let them fester.
As  having those problems will in most cases hurt you in the heat of battle.

thought  i would just throw thise comments out here- all stay  safe-Whitewolf (el lobo blanco)

Benjamin Liu

• Level 4
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2009, 01:41:49 PM »

As far as the angry the sad  and the fearful= IMHO only-the student who exibits those type problems have had them long before they got on the mat-

IMO that really isn't the problem.  By the tone of the original article that was more of an insult than an observation, and the comment about forum members acting like "disgrunted 13 year old boys" applies even more to MMA forums than RBSD forums.  Basically it is just a verbal attack.

I've spent a little time on Krav Maga forums, just lurking to find out a little about KM, and most people seemed positive aside from KM politics.

I've never attended an actual RBSD class, so I don't know what the instructors and students are really like. 

I know some MMA people, and the ones I know are mostly normal people who act nothing like the guys on certain forums.  The only one who acts like a nut (not a violent nut) does so for totally unrelated reasons.

I'm not sure if women's self defense classes are classified as RBSD or not if they are not otherwise part of a RBSD organization like KM.  I've helped teach a few and there was only one paranoid student that I recall.

I've met a few nuts in traditional martial arts, but that is also where I spent the most time, so the probability of running into a nut was much higher.  There were less nuts than I met outside the dojo, however, and most don't last long in a dojo.  I don't go to TMA forums since it is pretty much politics and conformity.

Then there is the question of who is a RBSD instructor or student.  What is a guy who does traditional martial arts, MMA, and also RBSD?  I've known a few who do them all, though most only train in one or two.

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2009, 11:32:32 PM »

Ben-good thoughts-i am still looking for thoughts on best way to approach training?
WW (ELB)

arnold

• the king of cool
  • Level 4
  • oh that will get you killed
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2009, 05:08:13 AM »

If I were you I would approach it with a Black Label in one hand a Cuban cigar in the other! ;D

This just now explains everything to me as to why I'm angry, sad, psychotic, fearful of vinyl, etc. If I'd of only known, I would have never had to spend so much time these last 40 years. I could have just listened to show tunes and eaten little Debbie cakes. So this Mt or whoever he is now tells me that the 65,000 pounds of weight I moved in the gym the other day was a was of time. Or the countless hours and stitches along with broken bones was just for naught?! Or that the medication I have to take which contains enough steroids to choke a roo makes me sad and overweight?! Just what the world needs is another fucking genius.
After these 40 years I have found one approach that has always rung true, train long and hard, but in the end, just go in there and beat the living hell out of them.
The solider of fortune convention was probably 15 years ago and I figured out that "SOF" meant "searching out food" as there were so many fat guys in camo wandering around. The real nut jobs were in 3 button polo shirts, except for the guy that was next to use with the 20mm anti tank rifle. He was in a league by himself ( pipe in "Twilight Zone" theme) But I did get to meet Rex Applegate in person as he came up to both Hock and I and did strike up a conversation. Had my pic taken with him and have an autographed copy of his book "Kill or be Killed". Someone remarked we looked alot alike! Probably Hock as we stood in line with the fat guys trying to get a Hot dog
I leave you idiots alone for 5 minutes and I come back and you're all dancing around like a bunch of Kansas City faggots
you're all a bunch of slack jawed faggots around here, this stuff will make you a sexual tyrannosaurus, just like me!

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2009, 10:07:36 AM »

Arnold- yes- Black Label is the only way to approach it-glad you reminded me-as far as the overweight guys in camos-screw them and the horse they rode in on.

A couple years ago I went to a seminar in Nashville (not Hocks)- and as i looked around and saw some of the participants i said to my self- Self, learn what you can and go home as some of these guys are off the wall..... ::) ::)

I am a firm believer in working out, training hard, studying all i can on H2H  tactics and always be a listener because when you listen you f---g learn and thats my feeling for today.

stay safe- WW (ELB)

JimH

• Level 4
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2009, 04:45:27 PM »

Over the years I have trained in and with over a dozen Reality Based/Street Based Instructors in seminars and in classes and in NONE have I found the out of shape, Overly military clad,student.
The majority paid good money to spend a DAY or More training ,doing and learning,Fat bodies seem to stay away from day long physical activities,lol.

Then we come to Military conventions,Gun Shows and other such gatherings and when open to outsiders,(the general paying public), we find the Wanna Be Fat bodies or the I used to be in the military and now I do nothing type people.
These people tend to love the camo dress up or polo shirts and tee shirts with unit insignia.Most of these types (Wanna Be over Doers) might have an interest in Fire arms and Dream of training but they have no intention of being or going physical
Maybe as physical as drawing a weapon if they had to and didn't crap their trousers first.They can talk a lot about various fire arms and shooting though ,like human manuals.(lol)

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2009, 11:06:46 PM »

JimH- i see we are on the same page-(as usual)- stay  safe  WW

Phil Elmore

• Forum Member
    • The Martialist
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2009, 07:36:05 AM »

If people like Matt Thornton and Brian Sheeran spent even ten percent of the time they spend constructing elaborate and intellectually bankrupt straw men on productively training for realistic self-defense, they'd be a lot better off.  These sports-oriented "fighters" are mired in a mindset in which self-defense, for them, is about winning a duel and (supposedly) proving their manhood, rather than simply dealing with the realities of a violent world.  The people they rail against simply don't exist, at least not as they have described them.

One of the best examples is found in Richard Ryan's book on knife fighting, which features an elaborately illustrated fat, fictional, charlatan knife fighter who apparently embodies everything Ryan believes is wrong with segments of the "knife fighting" industry.  The problem is that such a person does not exist and never has -- not as described.  It's the same every time these gym-fighters start using "RBSD" as a pejorative.

gematriot

• Level 4
    • Systema training adapted to YOUR contemporary needs and goals
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2009, 10:44:18 AM »

If people like Matt Thornton and Brian Sheeran spent even ten percent of the time they spend constructing elaborate and intellectually bankrupt straw men on productively training for realistic self-defense, they'd be a lot better off

Me thinks they do in fact spend more time training than broadcasting their opinions. As regards being "a lot better off", you must ask who has consistently contributed more positively to the martial arts in general, I really don't see how "The Martialist" is more effective in this area, when compared directly to the SBGi.
"Any experiment of interest in life will be carried out at your own expense. Mark it well. "

Benjamin Liu

• Level 4
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2009, 12:09:51 PM »

I read the original article again, and there is some good information along with bad information.  His "positive" awareness ideas are the same ones the people he is against talk about on the "bad" forums, but I guess the ideas are "good" when he discusses them.

Based on his attitude I wouldn't by any of his products, I'd suspect that I'd have to weed through a bunch of nonsense to get to anything good and I've already done enough of that with lame books such as "The Gift of Fear."

I'd also really like to know where I can find a local "mercenary convention" so I can follow his advice and see if the people are sad, paranoid, fearful, and angry or not.  I assume non-mercenaries would be allowed to attend since if this were not the case he'd be advocating becoming a mercenary just to attend a convention and see if he is telling the truth, and that would be a bit much.  I suspect these conventions are a product of his imagination.

Brian S

« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2009, 03:48:27 PM »

Not too sure where I have recommended sport training.  I train lots thanks, and I'm pretty sure Matt Thornton does too.  And I have certainly never been put in the same category as him before, nor have I trained with his organisation.  I agree with the "dead paterns" viewpoint also.  People should train to get good at reality.  But they get good at the training instead - there is a difference.

I am pretty sure there is a lot we can learn from sports, as long as we are careful to avoid the traps that sportsmen can fall into.

If they are full contact and/or all out grappling, they learn how to apply techniques against a resisting opponent.  They also see what doesn't work (within a limit of rules of course), hence no Chi Sao, No Touch KOs or catching punchers wrists in the ring etc.  They also learn the value of physical fitness, instead of the cop out "but the fight will only last a few seconds" nonsense.

Judo, Boxing, Thai Boxing, BJJ.... they all have lots to offer us.  Lots of traps to fall into of course.  The trick is to research enough, and have enough experience, to tell the difference.

But being out of shape, trainnig without breaking a sweat, and then praying that all your problems can be solved with a weapon, a torch and camoflague pants isn't the way to go. 

There are some greats in what we call the "RBSD" world.  But there are some incredible wannabe chumps. 

Long time no see Phil.  Do note that the "Bri Thai" posts are 3 years old.  Not sure there is an actual need to open old wounds.  You stick around here and put your views.  It will be interesting to see where we are both at all these years on.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2009, 04:02:23 PM by Brian S »
Pages: [1] 2

Download