Combat Centric

Talk Forum for Military, Police, Martial Artists and Aware Citizenry

Hock Hochheim's Combat Talk Forum

• January 23, 2018, 07:51:23 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Angry, Sad, Fearful RBSD People  (Read 24376 times)

shastana

• Level 4
Re: Angry, Sad, Fearful RBSD People
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2009, 11:49:28 PM »

Here is an article from a well known Martial Artist who heads a system!
Lets hear some feelings about this article!

One would think that by training in "street" orientated martial arts, or combatives that emphasize the self defense aspects of martial arts, to the exclusion of what they deem to be "sports" training, that these types of individuals would gain more confidence, more peace, more happiness, and become more comfortable within them as their skills at 'self-defense' grew. Unfortunately, it has been my experience that the opposite seems to be true. Individuals that come to strictly "street" orientated martial arts, that were already prone to feelings of inadequacy, shame, physiological fear, and paranoia tend to have those qualities magnified by such training, rather then eased.

I wouldn't ask anyone to take my word for it with that assessment. – MT

Who is this referring to?  Military, law enforcement, contractors, and civilians NOT training in MTs program?  Strange observation...the opposite is infact true.

Any system that has good techniques that the practitioner KNOWS will work in the street either by using them or training correctly in them will be LESS fearful.  Confidence and awareness is what I have always seen as a byproduct with women training in RBSD programs...that is a good baseline with which to get a reality check on this subject.
An armed citizenry fly their colors, an unarmed citizenry wear their colors.

JKDish

• Level 1
« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2009, 12:58:00 AM »

^5 Shastana...right on. Well put.

Brian S

« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2009, 10:26:30 AM »

Any system that has good techniques that the practitioner KNOWS will work in the street either by using them or training correctly in them will be LESS fearful.  Confidence and awareness is what I have always seen as a byproduct with women training in RBSD programs...that is a good baseline with which to get a reality check on this subject.

I disagree.  The devil is in the detail.  Everyone in the figting arts "knows" that their techniques will work, and they all think htye train correctly. 

Only the minority seem to be right.

Edgedweapons

• Forum Member
    • Self Defense Knives
« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2009, 09:09:45 PM »

Um in Hawaii the Burton Richardson's jkd guys kinda join both of the concepts of street fighting and mma sports with a phrase "MMA FOR THE STREETS" lol i took 1 of their classes and most wer very humble people and nice and outgoing. but i kinda feel what that articale says. like on youtube thiers alot of jkd trapping guys trying too hard to prove that trapping does work on the streets and and seems to over explain them selves.

shastana

• Level 4
« Reply #34 on: March 08, 2009, 10:21:58 PM »

I disagree.  The devil is in the detail.  Everyone in the figting arts "knows" that their techniques will work, and they all think htye train correctly. 

Only the minority seem to be right.

I love when Hock shows us something that he's used, something that looked kinda like something he learned in martial arts, he says something like  "I like that because I know it works...nobody can tell me that that doesn't work"! 

If it works it works, doesn't matter where you learned it or what they call it, keep practicing it.  And if I focus on every "detail" I miss the point of training! 

"Two types of skilled, trained and untrained, but only one type of expert, the experienced."

Brian S

« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2009, 08:01:48 AM »

If it works, it works..... But you're talking about people who "know" it works.  And, as you say, that can only really come with experience, of which I have lots.

But, to get back to the point.... "knowing" is in the eye of the beholder.  Many people "know" that No Touch Knockouts "work."  So your actual point initially is meaningless.

Benjamin Liu

• Level 4
« Reply #36 on: March 09, 2009, 09:02:26 AM »

I seriously doubt many people believe in no-touch knockouts unless some sort of ranged weapon was used.

There might be a few that get lots of publicity due to their strange beliefs, but I cannot accept that any significant number of people outside of New Age groups really believe they can use telekinesis, especially in combat.

In most cases I've seen of some very strange MA/SD/CQC belief being portrayed as widespread, the reality was that there were only a few or even one example and posters generalized them to representing a significant number of people.  In some cases it was even one person posting as a joke.

gematriot

• Level 4
    • Systema training adapted to YOUR contemporary needs and goals
« Reply #37 on: March 09, 2009, 09:51:41 AM »

« Last Edit: March 09, 2009, 09:58:26 AM by gematriot »
"Any experiment of interest in life will be carried out at your own expense. Mark it well. "

gematriot

• Level 4
« Reply #38 on: March 09, 2009, 09:56:42 AM »

I seriously doubt many people believe in no-touch knockouts unless some sort of ranged weapon was used.
Yellow Bamboo (http://www.yellowbamboo.net) is a group that includes no-touch knock outs in itīs teachings...
"Yellow Bamboo is a personal development, healing and white magic association founded in Singaraja Bali with over 33000 members world wide".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EArRdY3p1ig&feature=related
http://skepdic.com/yellowbamboo.html
"Any experiment of interest in life will be carried out at your own expense. Mark it well. "

Benjamin Liu

• Level 4
« Reply #39 on: March 09, 2009, 11:05:27 AM »

I did say "outside of New Age groups."

Yellow Bamboo is not representative of martial arts in general and certainly not RBSD specifically.  It would fall under the classification of a religion or cult more than a martial art or RBSD system.

gematriot

• Level 4
« Reply #40 on: March 09, 2009, 11:49:15 AM »

I did say "outside of New Age groups."

Indeed you did, and I should have qualified my response.

However the nebulous idea of ki pervades almost every martial art. Movements such as RBSD and MMA are also movements away from the "mystical elements" of many arts. While it is difficult to say whether their numbers are significant, I have met many practitioners who accept (or hope for), the unlikely in the name of ki.

Benjamin Liu

• Level 4
« Reply #41 on: March 09, 2009, 12:14:10 PM »

I've trained with lots of people in different arts and met very few who really believe in that kind of thing, and none who told me they believed in using telekinesis.  The only ones I've met who had very strange ideas were those into New Age groups and one guy who IMO was insane.  The insane guy believed that "Lord of the Rings" was actual history, and he also did not last beyond a few months in martial arts training.  The New Age types were one guy I had a discussion with who got mad at me when I mentioned I did FMA.  He angrily said that I should just project love and positive energy to an attacker and the attacker would become friendly.  He did not do a good job of demonstrating his "positive energy" himself. :D  Since he was more into New Age beliefs than martial arts, I'd classify his nuttiness as New Age rather than martial arts.  Then there are the cult guys who were into martial arts and RBSD (do a search for "Prather.) but I'd still classify them as a cult.  They did not bring up their more nutty ideas in martial arts seminars, they reserve that for when they try to recruit new members.

I also know people who demonstrate "chi tricks" which are just simple physics, and they'll tell you that.  They'll only say it is real power when the person they demonstrate for is an idiot and asks stupid questions so they can see how far they can go and still be believed.

I occasionally meet people who think chi/ki is real and can be used, but it is usually the belief that someone out there can do it, not themselves, and therefore really irrelevant to their own training unless they waste lots of time trying to do it.

Others define chi/ki as focus, and "using ki" as simply focusing and following through on a strike rather than just hitting the surface without penetration.  I had a discussion with a Japanese martial artist on the subject years ago, and he said that "ki" is the Japanese word for "energy."  So I asked him is saying to "put your ki into a punch" was the same as saying "focus your energy into a punch" was the same thing, and he told me it was.

Still, none of this has to do with RBSD.

Actual martial artists with legitimate rank who do not have psychological or substance abuse problems who really believe that they can use telekinesis are probably as rare as firearms people carrying around a "canned AR-15" and using an armored wheelbarrow.  Anyone who's spent any time on gun forums has heard about "canned AR-15s" and armored wheelbarrows, but that was just one guy who was into that who got talked about all over the internet.  Another poster was the "Mall Ninja," Gecko45.  He was a regular member of a gun forum who made a series of insane posts to mess with other posters, things like not being able to afford a Class 4 vest so he wanted to know if he could duck tape ceramic plates to his regular vest.  It was a joke but to this day many think that they were serious posts.  Gunkid was real though, but he was arrested.

Typical gunowners don't go around with armored wheelbarrows and tape ceramic plates to their vests.  I'd go as far as to say no one does this, yet these two are "popular" on almost all gun forums.

Brian S

« Reply #42 on: March 09, 2009, 02:30:41 PM »

Ok, anyone believeing in telekenisis here?  Raise my hand.

rasdj

• Dillon R.
  • Level 2
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #43 on: March 09, 2009, 02:46:32 PM »

ooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmm.... how's that Bri, is it working?
I exhort you also to take part in the great combat,  which is the combat of life, and greater than every other earthly combat.
--Plato (427 BC - 347 BC)

Milldog1776

« Reply #44 on: March 09, 2009, 02:47:44 PM »

How many fingers am I holding up?  ;D

shastana

• Level 4
« Reply #45 on: March 09, 2009, 04:39:52 PM »

ahhh, right hand middle finger :D

Brian S

« Reply #46 on: March 09, 2009, 05:12:27 PM »

How many fingers am I holding up?  ;D

But just where are you holding them up?  Do wash your hands.......

Back to topc.

No Touch KOs are merely an example of the rubbish that people "know" is true.  Excepting full contact and wrestling types of Combat Sports, the martial arts are approximately 90% crap in either tecynique or training method - or both.  But all the exponents "know" it will work.
Pages: 1 [2]

Download