W. Hock Hochheim's

Combat Centric

Talk Forum for Military, Police, Martial Artists and Aware Citizenry

Hock Hochheim's Combat Talk Forum

• July 19, 2018, 05:51:18 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Beware the self-inflicted stab  (Read 1798 times)

fabbe

• Level 2
Beware the self-inflicted stab
« on: April 04, 2006, 05:08:42 AM »

Police arrest knife-wielding psychotic woman (who gets tackled to the ground and falls on her knife):

http://www.theync.com/vbfatlady.shtml

It's a bit difficult to see if she actually falls on her knife or if she intentionally stabs herself just before/after the takedown - but, in any case, I think it's always good to keep these words in mind when you train with the knife in reverse grip:

"Beware the self-inflicted stab! History is replete with stories of people, once tackled, thrown-down or pushed against a wall while holding a knife in reverse grip, stab themselves. It is one of the major, unknown problems with the reverse grip of which the inexperienced and naive exponents of that grip are completely unaware. Many of these proponents have fallen in love with the look of a grip before they fell in love with tactical science" -- Hock Hochheim (from the book Training Mission Three).

Not only is this important in order to avoid self-inflicted injuries - you can also use it against a knife-wielding attacker (e.g. using walls, ground, yourself, other people etc. to "power assist" the knife back into him). It works pretty well - not only with the knife in reverse grip, but also in forward/sabre grip. And - at least here in Sweden - I think the legal repercussions would be less severe for you, if it turns out that your attacker actually fell on his own blade (instead of having been stabbed by you).

/F
« Last Edit: April 04, 2006, 05:27:24 AM by fabbe »

TAC

• Level 3
Re: Beware the self-inflicted stab
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2006, 05:55:54 AM »

When i was in school one 'tough guy' carried a kitchen knife in his inside pocket (live blade, no sheath) and fell on it during a play-fight. Just flesh wound, not great penetration. But i'm sure he never made that mistake again.

As a side note, i was really impressed by the coolness of the cops in that clip.

Sharif

fabbe

• Level 2
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2006, 06:42:43 AM »

When i was in school one 'tough guy' carried a kitchen knife in his inside pocket (live blade, no sheath) and fell on it during a play-fight. Just flesh wound, not great penetration. But i'm sure he never made that mistake again.

That reminds me of a classic Darwin Awards story - but that guy did definitely NOT make the same mistake again...

"FEBRUARY 2003, EAST TIMOR. A man was found lying facedown, covered in mud and blood, the apparent the victim of a street crime in Dili, the capital of East Timor. It was not until a post mortem examination was conducted that U.N. police were able to reconstruct his last moments. This up-and-coming young man decided that it was cool to shove his weapons, two long knives, down the waistband of his trousers. Unsheathed. The hapless fellow jumped over a small fence and landed in a large puddle of mud. He slipped, which sent the blade of his 'trouser knife' into his leg, severing his femoral artery. He bled to death before he could stagger ten feet from the puddle." 2003 Darwin Award Nominee, http://www.darwinawards.com

I've also seen and heard of similar cases where knives have penetrated through bad sheaths, e.g. where the tip of the knife has gone through the bottom of the sheath and into the leg. Sometimes it's definitely worth the extra money to get high-quality gear...

/F

TwoGun

• Level 2
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2006, 08:23:32 AM »

Have these guys not heard of "fighting folders"?

There is no end to dumb crook stories I guess.  I admit I'm assuming that anyone who carries a fixed blade knife in such a manor is not a law abiding type.

Bri Thai

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2006, 09:31:39 AM »

Do people still shove pistols down the front of their pants? -  :o

TAC

• Level 3
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2006, 01:56:14 PM »

That's called the castration carry site

Download