W. Hock Hochheim's

Combat Centric

Talk Forum for Military, Police, Martial Artists and Aware Citizenry

Hock Hochheim's Combat Talk Forum

• June 22, 2018, 10:58:55 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: BJJ at Gun Ranges...  (Read 1435 times)

Hock

• Administrator
  • Level 4
    • www.HocksCQC.com
BJJ at Gun Ranges...
« on: May 17, 2006, 08:00:32 AM »

I thought you would get a kick out of reading this. This is an ad at a gun range I know of...this when gun-guys with zero martial experience think they have  discovered the greatest thing...or have fallen for advertising....(this is a major USA gun range in a very large city)

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu:
Ever seen a scuffle between two people quickly go to the ground? We believe in being well rounded for self-defense, not only being able to strike at the punching range and the kicking range, but being able to defend yourself when attacked by an opponent that takes you off your feet! Anything less than this is ignoring reality and reality training. Based on the philosophy, ‘fights go to the ground or are won on the ground’, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu (BJJ) is essential for anybody wishing to learn self-defense. Possibly the premier ground-fighting martial art of all time, made famous by Royce Gracie in the early UFC's in the mid-1990's, BJJ is a ground-fighting art that specializes in obtaining positional dominance over an opponent while controlling them, then submitting them using chokes and joint locks. Since BJJ is a technical art, it allows a smaller and weaker opponent to take down a bigger and stronger opponent (if the fight doesn't already go to the ground) and submit them using technique rather than relying on strength.

gumbey

• Level 3
Re: BJJ at Gun Ranges...
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2006, 05:06:01 PM »

I have never seen an ad like that on any gun range. However, my local gym had that ad since they were doing BJJ courses which were ran by Linxx Academy, my old training center. I don't see what's the point in advertising that at a local gun range. It'll mislead the non-martial art type shooters into thinking BJJ is the sure thing for self-defense.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2006, 05:07:58 PM by gumbey »

Hock

• Administrator
  • Level 4
    • www.HocksCQC.com
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2006, 05:09:30 PM »

This same gun range also did Los Angeles Krav Maga, until the poor guy teaching it financially tanked (too much tithing to L.A.) He left the gun range and joined another, cheaper Krav style.

But it was a "fad" gun range. Looked expensive? Lots of ads? Must be real classy. Let's do that one!

Hock

Kentbob

• JOAT
  • Level 4
  • Sound the horn and call the cry
    • Antrim Self-Protection
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2006, 05:42:51 PM »

And of course, there are the 90% of people, who, even though they are at a gun range, don't understand the need for self-defense.  Then there are the 8 or 9 percent who fall for the add, and go sign up right away for BJJ, the greatest thing in self-defense since someone first hit someone else with a club.  The there is the one or two percent, and I may be greatly overstating this amount, who investigate into BJJ, to decide if it really is right for them.  People are so strange.  I guess ignorance is bliss.

Kent
"Specialization is for insects."-Robert A. Heinlein

http://antrimmasp.blogspot.com/

Irishtacticts

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2006, 01:28:57 PM »

the thing that gets me is that the common counter argument to martial arts is the use of the gun.

And I think that most figts whont go near the ground if you have a gun.

It almost an Oxy Moron.

johnykat

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2006, 03:27:35 PM »

Not sure if you are talking abou the range I am thinking of Hock. But the one about 2 blocks from where I work here in the Big D has big sign for BJJ.

Download