W. Hock Hochheim's

Combat Centric

Talk Forum for Military, Police, Martial Artists and Aware Citizenry

Hock Hochheim's Combat Talk Forum

• January 20, 2018, 07:07:37 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Warpost question  (Read 10739 times)

Hawkeye

• Level 1
Warpost question
« on: August 18, 2006, 12:33:45 PM »

I'm finally building a warpost. I think I have everything I need but I wasn't sure how much cement to use.
In the Command & Mastery video, Hock recommends using 1 bag but doesn't say how much that bag weighs.

I'm guessing 25 pounds but don't want to make it too light. Any opinions? (About how much cement, that is  :) )

Dan

Milldog1776

Re: Warpost question
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2006, 02:06:41 PM »

One 10lb. bag of quick crete should be fine. You won't knock it over.

Lone Wolf

• Level 1
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2006, 04:35:26 PM »

Hey folks, I have not built a war post yet, (yes it's on the list!),  but I have bought alot of bags of concrete, and they usually come in 60 lbs. or 80lbs. bags.  I would guess the 60 lbs. size would be what you need.  Let us know.  What yoy do.

Loy

Professor

• In your house drinking your coffee
  • Level 4
  • The Warlord
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2006, 10:26:43 AM »

Hey folks, I have not built a war post yet, (yes it's on the list!),  but I have bought alot of bags of concrete, and they usually come in 60 lbs. or 80lbs. bags.  I would guess the 60 lbs. size would be what you need.  Let us know.  What yoy do.

Loy

Warpost on the cheap: 

Tie/secure a tire at 90 degrees to a tree or fence post.   It'll last for a LONG TIME. 

'Advanced' is being able to do the basics, despite what else is happening. 

Our Country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't be any AMERICA because some foreign soldiery will invade us and take our women and breed a hardier race!"  --- Chesty Puller, USMC

Kevin

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2006, 10:39:46 AM »

I Have had my war post for about 3 years know and I have moved many times in those 3 years I would listen to Milldog about the 10 pounds if you're ever planning on moving.

Hock once tould me to wrap it all in rope this will help with noise if you have neighbors, and it will help not having to buy more sticks.  Unless you plan on using it for the knife then you know not to wrap it in rope.

I hope that helps

Kevin E.

Hawkeye

• Level 1
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2006, 11:38:00 AM »

Thanks for the replies. I'll be starting it this weekend.

Dan

Shane

• Level 3
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2006, 12:53:27 PM »

Thanks for the replies. I'll be starting it this weekend.

Dan

So did you build your warpost yet?
Scar tissue is stronger than regular tissue. Realize the strength, move on.    -Henry Rollins

Hawkeye

• Level 1
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2006, 10:56:30 PM »

My days off rotate so I did just build the basic knife warpost today. I wanted to see how that one went first before trying the one with two posts.

It's basic but looks okay. I did use the 25 lb bag of cement I had for it. I agree it's going to be kind of heavy but I used the big metal bucket and cinder block like Hock did in the video and I just don't think a 10 lb bag would have been enough. I don't mean weight but it wouldn't have been enough to hold everything.

I'm letting it dry in the garage overnight. Probably cost about $30. The big feed bucket (or whatever it is) I got from Farm & Fleet for $12.00, the cement was $7.00, cinder block probably $3 or $4  and the fence post I don't remember but probably around $4.00-$6.00.

I cut the fence post down to 6 foot. I don't have a stairway to prop it up against to steady it while it dries, so I put up a ladder next to it and tied to post to it.

I already have most of the material for the double post, so if this one works out I'll probably start the other next week. That's a little more work with tying on arms and such.

Dan

Hepcat

• Level 3
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2009, 04:05:35 PM »

Finishing my Warpost today.  Build a 10' by 10' portable shelter to house it in to keep the rain and wind off me during winter training.
Available for Cabinet level positions, consultation on matters of foreign policy, weddings and bar-mitzvahs. Will work for poutine.
----------------------------------------------
"I am a very disciplined student of tai chi but I am currently hooked on nitrous oxide and scotch and my practice has suffered" - Eddie Pepitone

Milldog1776

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2009, 05:09:01 PM »

pictures?

Hepcat

• Level 3
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2009, 05:46:51 PM »

Will post some if you like.
Available for Cabinet level positions, consultation on matters of foreign policy, weddings and bar-mitzvahs. Will work for poutine.
"I am a very disciplined student of tai chi but I am currently hooked on nitrous oxide and scotch and my practice has suffered" - Eddie Pepitone

juszczec

• Level 3
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2009, 08:03:13 AM »

I've got a warpost question.

I use my heavy bag instead of a warpost.

I've had to reinforce parts of it with duct tape, but other than that no harm done.

Any advantages/disadvantages to using a heavy bag instead of a warpost?

Hock

• Administrator
  • Level 4
    • www.HocksCQC.com
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2009, 08:07:29 AM »

Can't train with a real knife (the whole real purpose for a wooden warpost)
Consistent, real stick stikes will destroy a heavy bag.
Plus the wooden war post allows for the solid, application of wooden "arms" to extend from it. Vital in stick and knife training.

Hock
« Last Edit: November 21, 2009, 08:38:19 AM by Hock »

Hepcat

• Level 3
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2009, 12:08:45 PM »

I am spending about an hour a day on the warpost, At this rate I will be needing to construct a new one sooner than I thought. 

Has anyone tried a base that has a tube/PVC pipe with a tail cap on the bottom to keep the cement out that would act as a sleeve for the fence post, perhaps with the addition of a couple shims to keep it solid.  I will attempt this on my next post as it may be a labour saver and give me a few less buckets of concete to dispose of after the fact.

As my knife post gets chipped away I may wrap it with rope and use it for stick training when I build my new one.

Any thoughts?

PS current blades I am enjoying making wood chips with are:

Becker Combat Bowie

Cold Steel Master Tanto XII
Kabar Combat Utility 8"
and Cold Steel Recon Tanto

The combat bowie and the Kabar thus far are the most comfortable and easiest to maintain when striking the warpost with force.

redhawk44357

• Level 3
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2010, 09:13:59 AM »

I've seen hanging tires from beams etc. Is this as good as tied to a tree?  My warpost is still evolving. As i use it i find flaws in my design, so i re-build it and whack at it some more.  How big of a bucket do you use with the cement"?   4x4 or 6x6 post?  any other hints?

Hock

• Administrator
  • Level 4
    • www.HocksCQC.com
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2010, 09:59:32 AM »

Put some cement in the bucket and you'll se a medium sized will do.

Look here
http://www.hockscqc.com/cqcdispatches/cqcdispatches.htm
The bottom, right issue. Inside that issue is an article on making a warpost.
All the magaznes are free there.

Hock

redhawk44357

• Level 3
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2010, 01:03:09 PM »

Outstanding!!   " a picture is worth a thousand words"   thanks again Hoch, for the heads up.

sarguy

• Level 4
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2011, 11:32:13 PM »

I finally got around to making my "Hock Jong" w/ arms on my last day off. Until now I'd been using a knife on a plain war post in the garden, but I gotta say I love having the arms to work with. For the time being I have them secured w/ a bungee cord which is allowing for a small amount of spring to them.

By the way, is anyone else using smallish fixed blades on their warposts? I have a couple of Spyderco Mule blades that are 3.5 inches or so. They're doing stellar. Not quite as hefty as my Hossom Forager, but seeing as how I carry 3.5 inch folders, it seemed like a good thing to incorporate.

...and yes, I already bled on it.  ;D

Kentbob

• JOAT
  • Level 4
  • Sound the horn and call the cry
    • Antrim Self-Protection
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2011, 11:35:02 PM »

I have used my Benchmade Griptilian on my warpost, only at half speed though.  Wanted to see how the grip was without really testing it too much.  I think I've also used my CRKT M-16.  It's interesting to see how the hand slips and grip needs to be adjusted after I start sweating.

Kent
"Specialization is for insects."-Robert A. Heinlein

http://antrimmasp.blogspot.com/

redhawk44357

• Level 3
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2011, 04:51:55 PM »

i am wondering if there is another way to attach "arms" to a post besides with rope. I never was a boy scout and cant seem to make the knots tight enough.  wouldnt mounting them with screws, etc. work?  And  does rope work to deaden the sound? How about that rubber matting they sell for yoga (10 bucks at wally world) wrapped around and duck taped in place?   My ATV tire dummy is still in my shed and its way to hot to go out there and train.  Since the heavy bags are deemed subject to crap out with heavy use, i need to come up with something to put in my garage for stick work.  Any helpful ideas will be appreciated.   Red.

sarguy

• Level 4
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2011, 09:18:08 PM »

I've been considering drilling holes and placing them that way, not unlike a Mook Jong.

seldomseen

• Level 2
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2011, 09:41:17 AM »

I'm getting ready to add arms to mine, and was wondering if there's an "advantage" to tying them to the post vs. nailing them?

Jason

Hock

• Administrator
  • Level 4
    • www.HocksCQC.com
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2011, 09:43:52 AM »

I tied the arms on. It supported the wood much better.

Hock

Download