W. Hock Hochheim's

Combat Centric

Talk Forum for Military, Police, Martial Artists and Aware Citizenry

Hock Hochheim's Combat Talk Forum

• January 18, 2018, 09:28:30 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What is the amount of pressure, that breaks bones with a stick strike?  (Read 3384 times)

mickt

• Forum Member

If anyone can help.  I'm trying to find a list of the amount of pressure that it take to break major bones.  I've been practicing with sticks for a couple of years now and would love to know what impact really does to the body.

Thanks Mickt

Milldog1776

Re: What is the amount of pressure, that breaks bones with a stick strike?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2006, 12:17:34 PM »

arnold,

Sounds like you and Uncle Nicky need to send the Short Bus over to Mickt's house for some impact weapon training.

Milldog1776

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2006, 11:04:56 PM »

We should do a "Mythbusters" style study of this. Guys hitting skulls with sticks! Now that's good TV!

Kidding aside, I wonder if there has been an actual study done?

Professor

• In your house drinking your coffee
  • Level 4
  • The Warlord
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2006, 06:50:51 PM »

If anyone can help.  I'm trying to find a list of the amount of pressure that it take to break major bones.  I've been practicing with sticks for a couple of years now and would love to know what impact really does to the body.

Thanks Mickt

It's not the amount of pressure, its the juju and mojo that you put on the stick....

However...

For the most part, when playing with sticks I've seen very few major bones broken when working with rattan...even with bad intentions.

But, working with a good heavy rattan stick (fighting rattan), iron wood, bordark, oak, or other hard wood....I have seen bad thing happen even with care taken.

This is a it depends question, however, IM me your address.  I'll call Arnold and Uncle Nickbuster and we'll begin the experimentation.   

Remind me before a Dallas seminar and I'll bring a few different types of stick to play with.    An oval stick, rather than round can really put some hurt on the individul.

The (BatterUp) Prof
  'Advanced' is being able to do the basics, despite what else is happening. 

Our Country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't be any AMERICA because some foreign soldiery will invade us and take our women and breed a hardier race!"  --- Chesty Puller, USMC

redcap

• "I've done dead, didn't like it" 22 June 2009
  • Level 4
    • Streetwise Philippines

May I add some input to this debate?  Romy our Quack Doctor in Calape (not the mid-wife Quack but the old bloke who does the Anting Antings and killed seven Japanese in WW2 and probably a few tourists since then!) told me that rattan will not usually break bones, except those small bones of the hand, as it is too light and has the wrong frequency.

Bahi reed, kamagong and some other hardwoods will break major bones such as the femur, tib and fib, radius and ulna, clavicle, ribs etc.  It is not the weight according to him but the frequency!

He believes the bones are broken by soundwaves and that the more dense, solid make up of hard wood sticks compared to the fibrous makeup of rattan is what does it. Similar to a tuning fork, I guess.

I recall being told it takes just 10psi to dislocate a knee cap with a blow from the side.  Can;t recall who or where or whatever, just the "fact" sticks in my memory.  Cheers, Redcap.
“No man knows the hour of his ending, nor can he choose the place or the manner of his going. To each it is given to die proudly, to die well, and this is, indeed, the final measure of the man.” Louis L’Amour

arnold

• the king of cool
  • Level 4
  • oh that will get you killed

The wrong frequency? Time to re-tune your Buck Rogers blinder combination Helmet and Radio and get off of listening to Air America.
As we speak we are going to start a fund drive to gather enough cash to send the Short Bus Elite Society for a visit. please have enough victims, err, volunteers ready to partake in Uncle Nickys version of the Australian tap dance ( skull vs wood) Those who complete this first audition will then move on to the second class, lead by the Professor, which will be " Quantitative Analysis of the Destruction of Human Bone" Those who survive this course will be indoctrinated into the Short Bus Hall of Fame and will receive their rewards on the Second level of the Bus. Cocktails and medical attention will be provided. Entertainment will be "Kentbob and the Bobettes" with a special visit from "Rawhide and the Chapsters".
The evening will finish up with Roo shooting and our own version of Australian Idol. Contestants will do their best version of "Oklahoma", followed by a "Crockodile Dundee" look-a-like contest. Final taping will be sent to Hock for his final vote. Losers will be branded and launched by catapult into Perth Amvoy New Jersey
I leave you idiots alone for 5 minutes and I come back and you're all dancing around like a bunch of Kansas City faggots
you're all a bunch of slack jawed faggots around here, this stuff will make you a sexual tyrannosaurus, just like me!

redcap

• Level 4
    • Streetwise Philippines

Do you hate DuPont for giving you life, Arnold?  What's a Short Bus? Actually I know that one.  Can you name the Colonel Buck Rogers was knocking off in the 70's TV show?  I can.  I had her too a few times although she was not actually there at the time. 

hey, I didn;t say it was my theory, just the belief of an old Quack Hilot bloke in northern Cebu.  By the way, the seven Japs he killed?  He ran down drunk squaddies walking aong the road returning to camp in the local bus he drove.  Nothing heroic, just right place, right time.  Cheers, Redcap
“No man knows the hour of his ending, nor can he choose the place or the manner of his going. To each it is given to die proudly, to die well, and this is, indeed, the final measure of the man.” Louis L’Amour

arnold

• the king of cool
  • Level 4

Welcome to the dark side. What did DuPont do for me besides own Indian Motorcycles in the 30's and offer to paint your bike any color they offered? I also understand it wasn't yout theory, just throwing grenades around
I leave you idiots alone for 5 minutes and I come back and you're all dancing around like a bunch of Kansas City faggots
you're all a bunch of slack jawed faggots around here, this stuff will make you a sexual tyrannosaurus, just like me!

arnold

• the king of cool
  • Level 4

Hopefully you're speaking of Erin Gray who played Col. Wilma Deering. ( you lucky dog )

redcap

• Level 4
    • Streetwise Philippines

The one and the same!  Damn we had some fun, me and her (picture).  Gotta go, ...you know why.  Redcap

loyalonehk

• Level 3
  • W.A.R. = "We Are Ready"... R U ???
    • Kaju Dog Martial Arts and Fitness
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2007, 09:01:54 PM »

Thanks Mickt

OK, Dean you opened a can of worms with the whole picture deal.

To answere your question - it varies but it dont take much...  Also, with the adrenalin pumping during the fight...  He did not realize his ulna bone broke until later...  He finished the fight without backing off until choked out.   ::)

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u171/loyalonehk/DocBlade_386047.jpg
V/R
Sifu Dean "Kaju Dog"  Webster 
http://kajudog.webs.com
Fight the good fight, Win or Loose, TCB the best you can for the right reasons.

kajudog@ymail.com

tcm_jedi

• Forum Member

without reading thru each and every post on here... if my memory serves me correctly, I believe its something along the lines of 9lbs/sq. in.

follow thru makes little difference, just as long as teh acceleration of the "weapon" is maintained at impact, which is generally why "whipping" strikes seem to hurt more as their acceleration is increased dramatically just prior to impact

just to add, ask a physicist about follow thru, the example of a cue ball is generally the topic, because the cue ball is generally in motion almost instantly at contact

Download