W. Hock Hochheim's

Combat Centric

Talk Forum for Military, Police, Martial Artists and Aware Citizenry

Hock Hochheim's Combat Talk Forum

• April 26, 2018, 07:08:30 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Tactical Shotgun DVD?  (Read 8688 times)

Joe Hubbard

• London, England
  • Level 4
  • Transforming the Esoteric with the Exoteric!
    • www.functionalfighting.com
Tactical Shotgun DVD?
« on: November 25, 2006, 04:52:53 AM »

Does anybody know of a good shotgun DVD?

Ciao

Joe
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.  There's also a negative side"

Hunter S. Thompson

www.joehubbardstreetsurvival.com

Visit My Blog: http://joehubbard.wordpress.com

Ed Giglio

• Level 1
    • Invictus Solutions
Re: Tactical Shotgun DVD?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2006, 07:36:36 AM »

Hi Joe,

have a look at this DVD (made by the LOTI GROUP which also distribute MArcinko's Red Cell documentary):

Tactical Shotgun For Self-defense with 2 FREE BONUS Features 

YOU CAN ORDER IT FROM http://www.usnavysealstore.com/index.asp?action=10&product=1765

This DVD includes 2 FREE BONUS Features: “Shooting Disciplines For The MP-5” & “Shotgun Speed Shooting Demo”

This film is features DVD quality picture and Dolby stereo sound. Easy to use menus let you play the film in its entirety or go directly to the lessons you want to review. This DVD is state of the art and will work with your home DVD player to play on your television, as well as on your computer.

Even in an era of heightened gun control, the shotgun remains politically correct. The tactical shotgun is one of the most powerful weapons an individual can wield. The wide variety of ammunition available makes it a versatile tool for self defense. When used with the proper sight system and ammo, the tactical shotgun can be shot accurately at ranges exceeding 100 meters. Because of it's many sport uses, the shotgun has become the nation's most common firearm. Many restrictions encountered with handguns and rifles are not applied to shotgun purchases.

"Tactical Shotgun For Self-defense" is an easy to understand introduction to the effective use of the shotgun. The DVD format allows you to watch the program in its entirety or go directly to just the lessons you want to review.

Produced at world famous Gunsite Training Center, this DVD contains the information that insures you can get the most out of your shotgun.

- See how target distance dictates the right ammo.
- Find out when you can use buckshot and when you'll need to rely on slugs
- Get the inside scoop on choosing the right sight systems, slings, light systems, ammo carriers and choke systems from Gunsite's master gunsmith
- Discover why patterning your weapon is the best insurance that your gun will be effective in a crisis situation
- Learn the drills that will help you quickly load, unload, or change ammo loads while keeping your eyes on target
- Watch the pros demonstrate the proper forms of carry, barricade positions, and how to use a shotgun in close quarters

This DVD explodes the myths that could get you killed. "Tactical Shotgun For Self-defense" teaches the training fundamentals that everyone needs to safely and effectively use a shotgun for personal defense. Don't wait until you are forced into a confrontation to find out what your gun will and won't do. This DVD is a must have for every shotgun owner.

Also available on VHS Videotape.

The DVD bonus features are a rare exhibition of personal shooting tips from John Shaw using the MP-5 Subgun, pump shotgun, and automatic shotgun.

- Learn the tricks of the trade that let you operate a pump shotgun faster than an automatic!
- Discover the secrets of perfect control for the MP-5 Sub machine gun
- Don't miss the chance to see one of the world's best shooters and America's premier shooting facility.

Mid-South owner, John Shaw has been winner or runner up in every major combat competition in the world including the IPSC Nationals, IPSC World, the Bianchi Cup, and the IPSC Canadian and European Championships. Shaw's honors include World Speed Shooting Champion Pistol and Shotgun; Nine Gold Medals in three World Championships; Captain and nine year member of the World Champion IPSC Team. Shaw has dedicated his talents to creating the most comprehensive combat firearms training program in the world. A must see for every serious shooter.

Ciao,

Ed

Hock

• Administrator
  • Level 4
    • www.HocksCQC.com
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2006, 10:02:34 AM »

The Loti Group
http://www.usnavysealstore.com/index.asp?action=10&product=1765

Is probably the best I have seen and the newer DVD set comes with a second disc of extras (I think? Could be wrong)

I have long sought to make a shotgun film with an expert, but I cannot get the perfect personality to step up and do it, so I was left with what is on the market.

I was going to sell the Loti Group DVD but it does not come in a universal format. I have many overseas customers and they could not play the DVD. This is becoming less and less a problem as overseas seas now are running USA formats. Naysayers who have grudges against Gunsite told me to never sell this films, but the film is not bad at all.

Hock

cgonzales

• Level 3
  • NEMO ME IMPUNE LACESSIT
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2006, 07:37:47 PM »

ive had that for a while now and the original on vhs. great vid on the ole smoke pole.
any vid on sub gun or carbine shooting can be used for the shotgun also, alot of the same tech. and ranges cover both. 2cnts.
"HE THAT HATH NO SWORD, LET HIM SELL HIS GARMENT AND BUY ONE."
Jesus Christ (Luke 22:36)

gumbey

• Level 3
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2006, 05:40:14 PM »

Thanks for the info. I just ordered the DVD tonight. About 8 days ago, I finally bought myself a pump shotgun, all blued. A great addition to my arsenal of 2 semiautomatic pistols (.40/.45). It's a 12-ga. Mossberg 590 Persuader. In addition to its magazine tube having 8-rd. capacity, it also contains shotshell holders (each holds 2 shells), 2 on each side. It also contains a bayonet lug and a heat shield on the barrel. It's a great feeling. As always with any new gun, you spend on other things as well. I bought 20 rounds of Federal Tactical slugs, a sling, shotshell pouch (13-rds.), locked shotgun case (too bad it didn't came with the the shotgun),misc. cleaning gear, portable long gun cleaning stand, 4 rds. of 12-ga. snapcaps, folding cleaning table, a long-gun safe (holds up to 9 long guns), and an accessory bag. Since then, all I did was dry-firing/loading drills at home. I can't wait to shoot it live-fire at an indoor range with my younger brother. We plan on firing 60 rds. of both 00 buck and Federal Tactical Slugs. As far as loading goes, I only load both the magazine tube and shotshell holders in the evening. Although I keep the chamber unloaded, I will chamber a round in it and then add an extra round in the magazine only once a week. The shotgun pouch will hold the remaining shells in place.  But during the day, I unload the shotgun, including the shotshell holders, and place most of the rounds back in the 13-rd. pouch, which is attached to the sling. And since I have a total of 20 shells, the remaining 7 rds. are placed on the shelf in the long gun safe ready for combat load in an emergency. The shotgun is then placed in the rack of the safe (safety on and the action racked back) and then, locked, when I'm not home. Why did I buy the DVD? I still have a lot to educate myself about the shotgun, especially the different kinds of loads of shotshells. I also wanna learn more specialized procedures rather than just the shotgun handling/loading/firing basics taught to me in military law enforcement/security. I also need to know more about ways of employing it rather than just using it when barricading myself in the safe room. Most of my DVDs/videos pertain to the handgun. This will be my first or my only one DVD on the shotgun.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2006, 05:45:52 PM by gumbey »

JimH

• Level 4
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2006, 06:57:35 PM »

Take it out and shoot it often.

I and a friend try to go out once or twice a month to a skeet range during the down hours of operation and we just load up and have the puller fire the skeet off at a good clip to let us get time to rapid fire on moving targets,we are not trying for points just getting weapon on target and firing.
(better than firing at stationary targets)

Great Luck with it,hope you never have to use it home defense,but always be prepared.

gumbey

• Level 3
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2006, 07:08:30 PM »

Spent some more today on an extra set of goggles, accessory box, and 2 dessicants (for my safe since my closet has humidity in warmer temperatures. Even got a 3/16" drift punch for removing the toggle pin that holds the magazine assembly, which has to be open for cleaning. Can't wait to shoot live-fire this Tuesday at the indoor range! 

gumbey

• Level 3
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2006, 03:50:07 PM »

Just received it last night. Viewed it today. As a result of this, I have learned a few pointers and have made some modifications or changes:
-I will either sling the shotgun on the left shoulder (muzzle down) or the right shoulder (muzzle up). Since I am right-handed-I feel this will work for me for faster transition from pistol to shotgun.
-Whether on the range or employing it for real as a secondary firearm for home protection, I will practice shooting my shotgun with my right elbow sticking out rather than tucked in, which I usually do with a rifle. That way, recoil will absorbed on the chest than the arms and shoulder. This should either eliminate or reduce some bruising or redness. It's also makes it easy to get the shotgun on target after holding it in a tactical ready stance and then back on target.
-I also learned, after forgetting, that I can clear the shotshell/slug off the chamber with my hand instead of using the extractor. It will be done like this from now on since this is much more easier on the ammunition and will not dent or deform it.

Other Things of Interest:
-Excellent live-fire demonstration by John Shaw (I think) at the range. Very fast! About 1-2 seconds to get on target and fire off 2 shots. Shoots the pump shotgun as if it was a semiauto! Impressive! Other sections include modifications/equipment, tactical clearing, readiness conditions, firearm safety (most imprtant even after all these years; can never be overemphasized), shot patterns (a,b, and c groupings), and shotgun myths. Excellent material and am looking forward to view it again in many years to come.     

Hock

• Administrator
  • Level 4
    • www.HocksCQC.com
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2006, 05:39:56 PM »

Lots of folks have zinged the video but I have to agree.
That is Shaw and with the DVD remake from the older video added the old Shaw shotgun video to it.

I think it is the best one I've seen out on the subject. I would buy bulk and sell it myself, but it only comes in NTSC (western hemsphere) format and I could not sell it overseas to PAL markets.

Hock

gumbey

• Level 3
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2006, 03:24:35 PM »

I might buy another video related on the shotgun. I've heard of one presented by ex. SEAL, tactical trainer, and fitness guru, C.J. Caracci, the one who did the SEAL "Burnout/Industrial Strength/Death Wish" PT videos. Has anyone seen it? If so, how was his shotgun video?

Hock

• Administrator
  • Level 4
    • www.HocksCQC.com
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2006, 07:47:06 PM »

Welllllll,

I was almost a co-host of a gladiator TV show with Caracci. We were contracted to do it but it was never made. He is highly motivated guy, super stract and I have not heard from or about him for some time. Years maybe? My guess he is contracting somewhere. But, the DVD? It is just not worth much. But you know, it is harmless to get and there is nothing wrong or dangerous in it. Caracci is a real-deal, SEAL vet and therefore deserves a special respect among mere mortals who walk on this planet.

Paladin has a shotgun dvd by SWAT Magazines s and Yavapai' s Louis Awerbuck. My friend Steve Matrkowski is also in it. You know, its not half bad.

Gunsite has a shotgun video that is not bad, but people with problems with Gunsite always zing it. Boring and by the numbers. but not dangerous to see and learn from.

Gun Video with Lenny MacGill tried to make a shotgun DVD set. He sent me a first draft copy, half-full of film techno difficulties, but I don't know if he ever made any final copies. It was but not bad if all the glitches was fixed. (he filmed an entire segment on a hillside and in a severe wind and the microphone only picked up the windbursts, not the dialouge. Lenny ALWAYS buries you with over-thorogh information, which is both good and bad.

I have tried to get my buddy Steve Krystek to do a shotgun video/DVD, but it seems he wants to teach it live or nothing. I have tried to get several of my talented friends to do one, but for one reason or another, we haven't. But, Steve is magic with a gun. Inhuman. I want to catch that lightning-in-a-jar, on film. Maybe someday....

I get the idea that there is not much you can do with the shotgun past a point. And the Lotus Group DVD pretty much does the job.

Hock
« Last Edit: December 26, 2006, 07:52:09 PM by HockHoch@aol.com »

gumbey

• Level 3
Re: Tactical Shotgun DVD:Range Session
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2006, 11:53:35 AM »

I just ordered the DVD featuring Louis Awerbuck from Paladin Press. I just want more info. regarding shotguns. I also shot 20 rds. of 2 3/4" 00 Buck and 2 3/4" Slugs w/ my Mossberg 590 12-ga. that Tuesday at the indoor range. Went great. Only problem was re-assembling the shotgun after cleaning. Glad I had help from a neighbor who was a retired Navy Gunner's Mate. He said that if I have any doubts re-assembling it, he just said it's okay just to open the action and clean the moving parts as long as I don't shoot more than 200 rds. in one session. I then went shooting again this time at the same indoor range with my brother who is a prospective gun owner. But here's the catch. Besides bringing about 20 rds. of 2 3/4" Slugs that were previously kept for home defense, I had no choice but to buy and shoot the 3" 00 Buck (27 pellets), which is all the shooting range has for that load. And prior to that, I've never shot 3" shells before. I shot the first 20 rds. Recoil was rough, nothing I've experienced in any shotgun before. I was also worried about how my brother, a first time shotgun shooter, would react.  The last 10 were a breeze, since they were just 2 3/4" Slugs. Despite that, I still hit the bullseye at 25 yds. When it was my brother's turn, I warned him that those first 20 rds. of 3 "ers are rough. I also re-assured him that the rough kick of those first 2 is not the shotgun but those 3" loads. I also re-assured him that the last 2 3/4" Slugs he will shoot later will be a breeze. I then said that if he can't hack it after the first 11 rds., I'll shoot the remaining ones. He then fired his first 11. And guess what? He didn't quit and finished his string of shotshells/slugs. Although he shot too high, the groups were tight and he had a lot of heart, which I gave him credit for. After I cleaned/oiled my shotgun in the house, I showed him a picture of what the correct shotgunning looked like. So he knows now what his mistake was and knows what to do when he shoots again. As for home defense rounds, I have now switched from my previously shot 2 3/4" Federal Rifled Slugs to 2 3/4" Federal Powershock 00 Buck, both low-recoil, of course. As for 3"ers, never again.       

gumbey

• Level 3
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2007, 11:17:39 AM »

Just received and watched Louis Awerbuck's "Combat Shotgun" DVD from Paladin Press. I think it is much more in depth than the latter. It also explains certain topics in an easier to understand format. It also opened my eyes to how each brand and type of shotgun operates differently. Glad I bought a Mossberg. Much more simple for me in terms of loading/unloading than the others. The location of the safety, as well as the action bar, on some of the other brands of shotguns are pretty scary! The DVD is also very clear on how each shotgun load operates a different pattern than the other and also shows other alternative firing positions. Gonna watch it again this weekend. Speaking of Lenny McGill, he already had a Shotgun video series in the works.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2007, 11:27:24 AM by gumbey »

Hock

• Administrator
  • Level 4
    • www.HocksCQC.com
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2007, 12:00:18 PM »

Gonna watch it again this weekend. Speaking of Lenny McGill, he already had a Shotgun video series in the works.

the works, as in...maybe two years now? Maybe more!

He sent me a sample of the process I guess baout 1 year and 1/2 ago and it had lots of problems. One whole day in the field and his sound didn't work!

One of the three set he was sitting in chair and holding up about 12 or so common shotguns one at a time and slowly explaining how each one operated, loaded, safeties, etc. This was rather tedious but I gues somebody has to do it, for beginners. One thing, ot was very, VERY thorough.

Hock

WTAC

• Aaron Warren
  • Level 2
    • WTAC Training
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2007, 04:04:15 PM »

I bought C.J. Caracci's Hand to hand combat for police officers video years ago and thought it had some useful information.
Aaron Warren

I might buy another video related on the shotgun. I've heard of one presented by ex. SEAL, tactical trainer, and fitness guru, C.J. Caracci, the one who did the SEAL "Burnout/Industrial Strength/Death Wish" PT videos. Has anyone seen it? If so, how was his shotgun video?

gumbey

• Level 3
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2007, 05:28:52 PM »

I think he was in some of the parts of the "Tactical Shotgun" DVD. He did mostly action and did not talk at all. I had his other SEAL PT videos (Burnout PT and Industrial Strength PT) and still use the exercise routines into my fitness program. Just like Hock, I think highly of him.

Hock

• Administrator
  • Level 4
    • www.HocksCQC.com
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2007, 07:09:43 AM »

So, here we are, July 2007.

Anybody seen a good tact shotgun DVD yet?

Hock

Hock

• Administrator
  • Level 4
    • www.HocksCQC.com
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2007, 05:11:26 PM »

So anyone?
Find a good combat shotgun DVD yet?

Hock

Milldog1776

« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2007, 05:31:27 PM »

Looks like you should make one, Boss.  ;D

Hock

• Administrator
  • Level 4
    • www.HocksCQC.com
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2007, 08:30:23 AM »

Just not good or cool enough with a shotgun.
I am a caveman with a shotgun, with police academy and only annuual police training and a little dove hunting.

Fred Hock Flintstone

Download