Combat Centric

Talk Forum for Military, Police, Martial Artists and Aware Citizenry

Hock Hochheim's Combat Talk Forum

• January 20, 2018, 12:46:06 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Derringers - Like? Dislike?  (Read 3918 times)

Hock

• Administrator
  • Level 4
    • www.HocksCQC.com
Derringers - Like? Dislike?
« on: December 20, 2006, 08:06:36 AM »

Its Christmas time and presents are sought.

The topic of derringers come up.
I have never had a derringer. Because, as you will see on the prices, they are EXPENSIVE! And limited.

But I WANT ONE! As a kid I grew up on TV shows where the stars had them hidden away.
This of course has brainwashed me. Younger people want light sabers.
http://www.tvacres.com/weapons_derringer.htm

http://www.hgwt.com/hgwt4.htm

Anybody ever hear any stories of derrningers being used these days in self defense?

Here are some of the latest models. They look cool. Check the PRICES! Whew!
http://www.bondarms.com/ifirearms.htm

Hock

« Last Edit: December 20, 2006, 08:15:55 AM by HockHoch@aol.com »

Professor

• In your house drinking your coffee
  • Level 4
  • The Warlord
Re: Derringers - Like? Dislike?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2006, 09:22:17 AM »

I like them and have carried one from time-to-time, but they get dirty and nasty without a proper holster.    They also rub a patttern in your back pocket if not holstered.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2006, 09:27:13 AM by HockHoch@aol.com »
  'Advanced' is being able to do the basics, despite what else is happening. 

Our Country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't be any AMERICA because some foreign soldiery will invade us and take our women and breed a hardier race!"  --- Chesty Puller, USMC

spanky

• Level 3
  • PEACE through SUPERIOR FIREPOWER
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2006, 02:54:11 PM »

well hock get one, I got myself a lever action .30-30 just because I always wanted a cowboy gun, go ahead it won't hurt too much  :-*

410indashade

• Level 3
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2006, 06:06:44 PM »

Yeah, I grew up on "Yancy and Paladin" too I also read a book titled, "The Man From Andersonville" about two old enemies made while in the infamous Civil War prison.  One of them was from Texas and happened to be a knifefighter of some renown.  He carried a derringer as backup.  Something I noticed that the main character on The Unit did on last season's finale.  I have been known to carry either a .38 Special or .45 Long Colt derringer in a bellyband myself.  They make a good choice when you want a serious caliber but don't need the weight or bulge of a larger handgun.     
"Adapt and overcome"

cgonzales

• Level 3
  • NEMO ME IMPUNE LACESSIT
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2006, 08:09:22 PM »

they are better than a pocket full of rocks. My 8 year old son calls them little sissy guns.
but what does an 8 year old know any way? go ahead and get two just in case.
"HE THAT HATH NO SWORD, LET HIM SELL HIS GARMENT AND BUY ONE."
Jesus Christ (Luke 22:36)

Bryan Lee

• Level 4
  • Rogue Elephant
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2006, 07:08:00 AM »

The 22 magnum derringer is one of my favorite belly guns and very compact, The extra powder makes up for the short barrel. I wouldnt want to have to hit anything beyond 21 feet and 5 feet is about the right distance for A good shot. The newer style is flatter and fits real nicely into A wallet holster with A big trigger hole cut out.

If you dont like the 22 mag you may want to consider 32 mag.

JimH, "Bryan, have you seen the Elephant?"  Bryan Lee, "I Am The MotherFFFFing Elephant!"

Nick Hughes

• Level 4
    • Fight Survival
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2006, 03:38:21 PM »

The Prof is the googling fiend...perhaps he can find the story.  I heard years ago (can't remember where I read it) about a Texas ranger involved in a hostage.  He bargained with the crim to let him take the place of the hostage (a young girl I think).  He dropped his gun belt and got in the back seat and, when the bad guy's attention was diverted he dug his derringer out of his cowboy boot (knew those things were good for something ;)) and plugged the guy.

Nick
Hard pressed on my right. My center is yielding. Impossible to maneuver. Situation excellent. I am attacking.
--Ferdinand Foch-- at the Battle of the Marne

TwoGun

• Level 2
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2006, 06:01:54 PM »

I would suppose they have thier place, but I'd go with something else if I could.  My uncle used to have a cute little .38 Special derringer and I shot it a few times.  The darn thing felt like a firecracker going off in my hand.  But there is no doubt that they some of the most concealable guns around.  If that is you requirement, then it might be a good choice.  But in mid to large calibers you'll have to be tough as nails to practice with it.

Hock

• Administrator
  • Level 4
    • www.HocksCQC.com
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2006, 06:41:04 PM »

would suppose they have thier place, but I'd go with something else if I could.

And think about the cost of these things ($500 ?) and what you could buy otherwise!

It would be like a collector's piece when you think about the money involved.

Hock

arnold

• the king of cool
  • Level 4
  • oh that will get you killed
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2006, 08:05:38 PM »

Have two of the littel gems
One in 22 mag, the other in 45 long colt/410 shot shell. The 45 is like wacking yourself in the palm with a piece of 1/2 inch rebar. The 410 short shot shell is not quite as bad, but i imagine would make a real mess of the lucky guy on the receiving end at close range.
I leave you idiots alone for 5 minutes and I come back and you're all dancing around like a bunch of Kansas City faggots
you're all a bunch of slack jawed faggots around here, this stuff will make you a sexual tyrannosaurus, just like me!

Bryan Lee

• Level 4
  • Rogue Elephant
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2006, 10:35:09 AM »

Have two of the littel gems
One in 22 mag, the other in 45 long colt/410 shot shell. The 45 is like wacking yourself in the palm with a piece of 1/2 inch rebar. The 410 short shot shell is not quite as bad, but i imagine would make a real mess of the lucky guy on the receiving end at close range.

Which 22 mag and how do you like it? Any good or bad points to shooting it?
JimH, "Bryan, have you seen the Elephant?"  Bryan Lee, "I Am The MotherFFFFing Elephant!"

arnold

• the king of cool
  • Level 4
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2006, 05:06:50 AM »

North American Arms 5 shot single action. 1 finger on the grip, lite on the recoil and a loud bang with the 22 mags. Have shot it many times just for fun and carried it in the second compartmnet of the waist pack. No complaints. Well built, no problems ever.
Hope this answers your questions
I leave you idiots alone for 5 minutes and I come back and you're all dancing around like a bunch of Kansas City faggots
you're all a bunch of slack jawed faggots around here, this stuff will make you a sexual tyrannosaurus, just like me!

TwoGun

• Level 2
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2006, 07:23:09 PM »

As it so happens, I just read an article on the subject in a gun rag.  While I tend to take these things with a grain of salt, there were a few bits of useful info.  A company named Cobra Derringer has several modles and calibers.  Barrels go from 2.7" up to 3.5".  Calibers are in .22LR, .22Magnum, .25, .32, 9MM, and .38 special.  Prices run from $98 to $136 according to the writer.

He said one more thing of interest.  These guns are not beginner guns.  They are not for your wife, girlfriend or grandmother.  They are made for work close enough to leave powder burns on the target.

I suspect in that, he is correct.

Trainer

« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2006, 07:34:09 PM »

Bond Arms also has a .50 calliber less than lethal pussy pistol that fires rubber rounds.

TwoGun

• Level 2
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2006, 08:08:53 PM »

I believe that Bond Arms also makes a .45 Long Colt/.410 model with a 3" or 3.5"barrel.  That must be a joy to shoot!  Still if your requirement is for a deep concealment weapon it beats the heck out of a sharp stick.

arnold

• the king of cool
  • Level 4
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2006, 04:49:15 AM »

the 45 long colt/410 is a beast to shoot, unless you have hands like a catchers mitt, and putting both rounds on the target at more than 25 feet leaves you with one sore hand. Which for the memers of the duck and dog, leaves you with only one hand to drink with or lope the mule. And we know you won't put down your drink, so......

410indashade

• Level 3
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2006, 10:05:56 AM »

All you guys talking about practicing with or aiming a derringer I have to laugh.  These things are for hideouts only.  If packing a 45/410 two shot in Alaska of all places isn't funny enough along comes Paladin (arnold) and tries to shoot the heart out of a playing card at 25ft.  Besides I believe Hock isn't asking about practical utility.  Although they can be useful in a large enough caliber (i.e. centerfire) at arms length.  Hock if you're still interested there are some major gun shows in Texas that you probably ought to attend if you're looking for a shootable collector's piece.  Try www.americanderringer.com ;)   
"Adapt and overcome"

arnold

• the king of cool
  • Level 4
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2006, 02:51:01 PM »

Think it's easy playing Paladin, hocks favorite western character? And you should see the size of the playing card!

cgonzales

• Level 3
  • NEMO ME IMPUNE LACESSIT
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2006, 06:01:20 PM »

wasnt that the "Have gun will travel" guy? or am i just not old enough to remember?
and who is the cool guy with the sawed off winchester lever gun?
"HE THAT HATH NO SWORD, LET HIM SELL HIS GARMENT AND BUY ONE."
Jesus Christ (Luke 22:36)

Hock

• Administrator
  • Level 4
    • www.HocksCQC.com
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2006, 07:10:07 PM »

See said gun on the cover of the latest issue of
http://www.magazinecity.com/images/product-zoom.html?8218-6.jpg

Steve McQueen.
Wanted Dead or Alive.
http://www.tvdvdplanet.com/movie/western/Wanted:_Dead_Or_Alive.html?gclid=CKGgvvvEtokCFSBTPgodwlUIWg

Mcqueen, one of the cooler guys on early TV and in the movies. He became an INSTANT star when seen on TV.
One of the Magnificent Seven.

When I was a kid, I had a plastic Mare's Leg and swivel holster, and I killed many a bad guy in streets of metro area New York City...whist using the only tree for miles as cover!
http://www.jbcustom.com/new-mares.htm

Hock

usks1

• Level 4
  • Don't tell me.. show me..
    • U.S. Karate
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2006, 08:26:46 PM »

the 45 long colt/410 is a beast to shoot, unless you have hands like a catchers mitt, and putting both rounds on the target at more than 25 feet leaves you with one sore hand. Which for the memers of the duck and dog, leaves you with only one hand to drink with or lope the mule. And we know you won't put down your drink, so......

Mule in one hand.. Drink in the other...  :P
" I see people doing all kinds of crazy stuff.. Eatin razor blades and sh--t.. But I wanna know.. Can he fight?? "

Moses Powell ( RIP ) - The warrior within

arnold

• the king of cool
  • Level 4
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2006, 05:20:36 AM »

I knew you wouldn't let me down

threegun

• Level 3
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2006, 05:26:22 AM »

Guys please understand that rifle/shotgun calibers IE the 410 and 22 mag are not good choices in a handgun. The gunpowder is designed to burn slowly so as to take advantage of the longer rifle barrel. In a handgun the bullet leaves the barrel with much of the powder unburned and thus underpowered when compared to its rifle counterpart. In a NAA mini revolver the 22short out penetrated the 22magnum in my own cardboard test.

For me the derringer is crap. In a decent caliber they aren't much smaller than my Kel-Tec P-32.

Hock

• Administrator
  • Level 4
    • www.HocksCQC.com
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2006, 08:35:37 AM »

Kel- Tec info      http://www.answers.com/topic/kel-tec-p-32

...and cheaper than the $420 pricetag for the aforementioned Derringer?

Hock

(I carried . 32 off duty for years and still have that pistol laying around my house)

Hock

Nick Hughes

• Level 4
    • Fight Survival
« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2006, 02:08:22 PM »

I have a neck holster for my Kel-tec...you cannot see it, and I can get the thing out in just under a second.  Wicked piece of kit and, unlike the derringer, holds six shots.  The .380 Kel-tec by the way is only marginally bigger than the .32.  I'd buy that one.

Nick

PS:  I can conceal my Kel-tec between my hands (held as if praying)  great piece of kit.
Hard pressed on my right. My center is yielding. Impossible to maneuver. Situation excellent. I am attacking.
--Ferdinand Foch-- at the Battle of the Marne

arnold

• the king of cool
  • Level 4
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2006, 02:57:46 PM »

Nick's probably praying that I'll enlighten him!

Hock

• Administrator
  • Level 4
    • www.HocksCQC.com
« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2006, 02:58:38 PM »

PS:  I can conceal my Kel-tec between my hands (held as if praying)....

Before you all try this at home?
Nick's hands are the the size of two Volkswagons.

Hock

arnold

• the king of cool
  • Level 4
« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2006, 03:02:15 PM »

Yeah, Volkswagon buses!

Professor

• In your house drinking your coffee
  • Level 4
  • The Warlord
« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2006, 03:11:18 PM »

I have a neck holster for my Kel-tec...you cannot see it, and I can get the thing out in just under a second.  Wicked piece of kit and, unlike the derringer, holds six shots.  The .380 Kel-tec by the way is only marginally bigger than the .32.  I'd buy that one.

Nick

PS:  I can conceal my Kel-tec between my hands (held as if praying)  great piece of kit.

Kel-Tecs are a hit/miss proposition.....some are good, some are bad.....pick a card...
  'Advanced' is being able to do the basics, despite what else is happening. 

Our Country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't be any AMERICA because some foreign soldiery will invade us and take our women and breed a hardier race!"  --- Chesty Puller, USMC

TwoGun

• Level 2
« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2006, 03:33:32 PM »

I had a 9MM Keltec for a while.  The trigger was terrible and since I had bought it used I had little recourse when the magazine would fall out when you shot it. or so I thought.  I took it back to the gunshop where I purchased it and Keltec sent them a new mag catch/release for free.  Also I found a Keltec owner's group on line and followed the very detailed instructions for cleaning up the trigger and I replaced the orifinal 10 lb spring with an 8 lb spring.  To my 1911 tuned trigger finger the trigger was still very poor but it did go bang every time, (without the mag falling out) and at 10 yards I got to where I could finally place most of the ten rounds it held inside 3".  Just adaquate at best, but certainly within the limits of what a gun that I paid less than $200 should do.

I eventually sold it and the friend who has it travels within the state a great deal and takes it everywhere with him.  He claims he's had no problems with the gun and was quite satisfied with it.
Pages: [1] 2

Download