W. Hock Hochheim's

Combat Centric

Talk Forum for Military, Police, Martial Artists and Aware Citizenry

Hock Hochheim's Combat Talk Forum

• July 22, 2018, 04:55:24 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Gun Training  (Read 1653 times)

ee4uandme

• Level 1
Gun Training
« on: June 15, 2006, 09:15:58 PM »

Has anyone tried offering an intro to guns course for people who have never shot a gun before? Get them used to handling and shooting using the airsoft environment, without the noise, safety concerns, etc of the range. Then carry the training over to a range where they could rent different calliper guns etc.

Has anyone tried offering specialty classes/ seminars for the people who have a concealed carry permit but don't really know what its all about (like most of the people I know with a carry permit)?

Any comments?

Keith

Hock

• Administrator
  • Level 4
    • www.HocksCQC.com
Re: Gun Training
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2006, 06:39:56 AM »

Well Keith just about any Level 1 gun course is going to expect complete novices. AND these gun courses are popping up all over the USA.

How good the course will depend on the instructor. But any good, Gun 1 course is usually going to cover much of that beginning info.

Hock

Milldog1776

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2006, 12:27:46 PM »

I'm currently looking into completing the NRA Basic Instructor course. I can teach someone how to shoot now...but it doesn't hurt to have a great organization behind you like the NRA.

Anyone have any input on this course.

Hock

• Administrator
  • Level 4
    • www.HocksCQC.com
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2006, 12:52:20 PM »

Maximized safety.
Minimized combatives

But, they have insurnace you can purchase (providing you don't deviate your training classes and your studnet isn't hurt doing that deviation.)

It is harmless to do. No negatives, really.
Range safety/management is important and they certainly cover that.

Hock

ee4uandme

• Level 1
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2006, 09:30:49 AM »

I think being an NRA instructor adds a lot of clout with the general population. The NRA is an organization that almost everyone is familiar with. It doesnít mean youíre a good dynamic combat shooter but itís an accolade that will immediately be recognized by your potential customers.

I think introduction to firearms classes are an untapped market. I think a lot of women and new shooters would really be interested in learning about shooting and guns but without having the intimidation of live rounds, loud noise, away from the range and the range jockeys in an environment they feel comfortable in and feel secure enough to ask all the questions they want to. Once they learn the level 1 material with Air Soft, I think that opens the door for an NRA safety course and more advanced dynamic training. Before you know it you have a loyal student that wants to develop their skill through the scientific fighting congress of maintain some level of proficiency through a periodic seminar of private lesson. I also know a lot of range jockeys that are really interested in they air soft training. I opened their eyes to a completely new method, much more realistic, of training.

Milldog1776, how is your NRA progression going?

bbwolf

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2006, 12:58:22 AM »

I've seen NRA Basic Handgun classes offfered at many ranges, and if they don't offer them they usually can tell you who does. I've also seen Basic Handgun courses offered in various local "Adult Education" worksop catalogs, like the Learning Annex, Leasure Learning Unlimited, UT Informal classes. Frankly I find it harder to find people who teach more advanced courses. Mainly what I've seen is Basic Handgun or CHL classes, which is more about the legal do's and don'ts of packing heat with a shooting test at the end, just to prove you can adequately operate the gun (I've seen some extremely novice shooters pass that portion of the course). I don't have the time or money to go take a trip to Gunsite or some of the other big time Gun Combat schools. I often shoot at a private range with friends many of whom are LE or  ex-military spec op's, and one guy who's a firearms instuctor for a private security company and CHL instructor. The basics I got from my father and grandfather, and dad based my rifle training off of his own in the USMC. I shoot fairly welll, but I know there is a lot more I could be learning and the restictions we have at the private range do not allow us to practice in ways we would like to. There is a school in the Austin are called KR Training that offers Combat pistol, rifle, and shotgun courses. Anyone heard of them, and are they any good? Their classes are a couple hudred a pop, so they'd better be...
" Better a warrior in the garden , then a gardener at war"- Japanese Proverb

410indashade

• Level 3
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2006, 12:20:40 PM »

For the the first time this Spring I offered a one day course on close combat shooting at a local range here in the Springfield area. All that turned up is three students.  Judging by the amount of attendence at the NRA basic defensive pistol courses I have atttended there should have been more.  Oh well ??? 
"Adapt and overcome"

PFC Director

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2006, 01:22:54 AM »

We've received a lot of interest in entry level pistol courses this year.  As a result, we're offering PROTOCOM 100 at least 8 times and the 1-day Defensive Pistolcraft at least twice in 2007.

The thing to look for in any 'basic level' course of instruction would be a solid presentation of the fundamentals.  This must be taught in a logical sequence with a progressive approach.  ideally, these types of courses will compliment and dovetail into more advanced training.

Our 07 calendar will be up in a week or two.

Train hard.

Steve Krystek

www.PFCtraining.com

Chuck Burnett

• Level 1
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2006, 02:22:03 AM »

Front Sight's two or four-day Defensive Handgun course is very beginner friendly and there are a ton of first-timer course certificates floating around for next to nothing.

Chuck

WTAC

• Aaron Warren
  • Level 2
    • WTAC Training
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2006, 11:18:45 AM »

I went to their 2 day rifle course on a free certificate a few years back, and it was excellent basic marksmanship training. Even as a LEO with  rifle and subgun training it was a good refresher.
Aaron

Front Sight's two or four-day Defensive Handgun course is very beginner friendly and there are a ton of first-timer course certificates floating around for next to nothing.

Chuck

Download