W. Hock Hochheim's

Combat Centric

Talk Forum for Military, Police, Martial Artists and Aware Citizenry

Hock Hochheim's Combat Talk Forum

• October 20, 2018, 11:54:53 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Officer Killed Stats  (Read 1024 times)

Hock

• Administrator
  • Level 4
    • www.HocksCQC.com
Officer Killed Stats
« on: March 16, 2007, 09:05:11 PM »

Between 1995 and 2004, of the 636 officers killed --

26% were in arrest situations
18% were in ambush situations
16% were on disturbance calls
16% were making traffic pursuits/stops
13% were investigating suspicious persons/circumstances
10% were in other situations

Of the 696 assailants identified in the killing of law enforcement officers from
1995-2004 --
- more than half had a prior conviction
- two-fifths were on probation or parole at the time.

Bri Thai

Re: Officer Killed Stats
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2007, 08:43:08 AM »

Any stats for UK officers?

Nick Hughes

• Level 4
    • Fight Survival
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2007, 02:15:51 PM »

Yes, there are stats for UK police officers...

In the line of duty: 55 officers killed since 1980
CHRISTOPHER MCLEAN

MORE than 50 police officers have been killed since 1980 as they battled against increasing violence on Britainís streets.

A spokesman for the National Police Federation said that between 1980 and 1989, a total of 30 officers were killed in the line of duty.

Between 1990 and 1999 a further 18 officers were killed and from 2000 to date, a total of seven officers have lost their lives.

Among the most infamous police murders was that of PC Keith Blakelock, who was hacked to death during the Broadwater Farm riots in London in 1985.

More recently, PC Alison Armitage, an officer from Manchester, became the fifth woman constable to be killed in the line of duty when a car thief in Oldham drove over her repeatedly as he tried to escape.

Her killer, a 19-year-old from Manchester, was jailed for eight years.

In February 1984, PC Yvonne Fletcher was shot dead outside the Libyan embassy while controlling a crowd of demonstrators.

Two months earlier, PC Jane Arbuthnot died in the IRA bombing of Harrods.

In December 2000, PC John Odell, of Kent Police, was hit by a car as he carried out roadside speed checks in Margate.

The other officers killed in the line of duty include a trainee police constable, Philip Walters, 28, who died after being shot in the heart as he made an arrest over a domestic incident in Ilford, north-east London, in April 1995.

PC Lewis Fulton, 28, died after being knifed as he responded to an emergency call in the Gorbals area of Glasgow in June 1994.

Sergeant Derek Robertson, 39, was stabbed to death at New Addington, south London, as he investigated a robbery at a sub-post office in February of the same year.

Beat constable Patrick Dunne, 44, died in a hail of bullets in October 1993 while checking out reports of a shooting incident in Clapham, south-west London.

In March 1993, Sergeant Bill Forth, 34, was stabbed to death on Tyneside after being set upon while answering a routine call to deal with youths who had allegedly smashed a window.

In June 1992, special constable Glen Goodman, 37, was killed, and his colleague PC Alexander Kelly, 32, was seriously wounded when they were shot on the A64 near Tadcaster after they questioned the occupants of a car, who turned out to be IRA terrorists.

Off-duty detective constable Jim Morrison, 26, a Scot, was stabbed in Aldwych, central London, after approaching a suspected thief in December 1991.

In November 1991, Sergeant Alan King, a father of four, died after being stabbed in Higham Hill, east London.

In March 1991, PC Duncan Clift, 27, was killed when he was run over as he tried to prevent the theft of a high performance car in Northumberland.

In December 1990, PC Robert Gladwell, 35, was battered in a brawl at a west London hotel, and in August 1990, PC Laurence Brown, 27, was shot in Hackney, east London

Given that the UK is tiny in comparison to the US (about one sixth of the size) and that you have no guns I'd say that puts you on par with over here...if not a tad worse.  Of course you guys don't wear bullet resistant vests as par for the course so that may have something to do with it.

Nick

PS:  I'd also give your guys the edge on wrongful shootings (only between the UK and the US...South of the border, all bets are off ;D)...I remember one guy shot for carrying a table leg, a brazilian shot (mistaken as an Arab terrorist), the guy outside shepherds bush in the mini minor (back in the seventies) and the only SAS instructor to ever die in "the Killing House" during training was shot (accidentally) during a training exercise.  (he did try and kill himself immediately afterwards but I'm not sure, had he succeeded, whether he'd have made the roll of fallen officers)...if memory serves it's a grand total of about thirty wrongful deaths by shootings at the hands of the police over there.  (No police officer has ever been charged with wrongful killing which may explain why that number is so high)

Hard pressed on my right. My center is yielding. Impossible to maneuver. Situation excellent. I am attacking.
--Ferdinand Foch-- at the Battle of the Marne

philw

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2007, 06:32:51 PM »

Nick,

I was surprised by your comments with regard to the comparative danger/shooting incidents.  You've normally struck me as someone who wouldn't make judgements without knowing the full story, and who can be counted on to have an insight into the realities of such things.  I tend to make a point of reading your posts on forums as they have a habit, for me anyway, of illuminating discussions and cutting through some of the more fallacious comments.  But I have to say, your conclusions seem questionable.  Just by the figures you posted, a police officer is 5.5 times more likely to be killed in the US than in the UK.  In London, all frontline repsonse officers wear stab and bullet resistant vests. 

As for wrongful shootings, you've given 3 examples stretching over 22 years.  The first -Steven Waldorf - was, from what I've read about it, a cock-up, in that detectives wrongly identified him as being a suspect wanted for the attempted murder of a police officer.  They stood trial for attempted murder but were found not guilty.  As far as the second goes, the two officers involved were suspended from firearms duties for over 6 years.  They were subjected to an internal investigation, two investigations by outside forces, their file going to the top CPS lawyer in the country twice, two inquests and two judicial reviews, all overseen by the PCA.  They were also, 5 years after the event, arrested for murder.  After all that, they were judged to have acted lawfully in self defence.  With regard to the De Menezes shooting, again, the officers were investigated both internally and by the IPCC - which is both independednt of the police and has its own investigators.  Again, they were found to have acted lawfully.  I suspect the wider enquiry into all the circumstances surrounding the operation will point out mistakes, but the interim one has said that no individual officer should be disciplined or prosecuted for his or her involvement.  As for the SAS, they're not police officers

Since 1985 in the UK, the police have shot dead 51 people - roughly 2.3 a year.  The first statistic I could find about the US was that the NYPD shot dead 9 people in 2005.  By 'wrongful', do you mean that the officer acted illegally, or that they ultimately, in hindsight, were not a threat?  The two, as I'm sure you're aware, are not the same thing.  I could probably come up with several examples of the latter for the States - the Diallo and Sean Bell incidents off the top of my head - but, as I don't know the full circumstances, it wouldn't justify me making a judgement about the actions of officers in the US. For that matter, I could come up with several for the UK.

Ultimately, I realise that your thread was not started as an attempt to compare the two countries.  I think it's of great value to analyse the circumstances of officer killings in order that our training can be adapted to try to reduce them.  I also realise the 'Bri Thai' effect on threads.  Personally, I don't spend my time comparing my country with others, or the police here with others.  And neither, I suspect, do you.  Most of the cops in both countries, I imagine, are decent people trying to do a sometimes tricky, sometimes dangerous job.  Some of them are exemplary, some are heroes, some are time-servers and some are incompetent.  Where the full details are known, a discussion of the rights and wrongs of an incident is important and useful.  If they're not, then I think we should leave it to the journalists to sit in judgement.

I could, of course, be entirely wrong.

Phil

Bri Thai

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2007, 08:43:48 AM »

I don't think so.

The numbers are probably correct of course, but the devil is in the detail.  Even in the examples quoted we end up mentioning officers in hte UK killed by being run over in traffic stops.

Download