W. Hock Hochheim's

Combat Centric

Talk Forum for Military, Police, Martial Artists and Aware Citizenry

Hock Hochheim's Combat Talk Forum

• April 25, 2018, 09:39:50 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Range to Transition from Point Shooting to Sights  (Read 1111 times)

rutleddc

• Level 3
Range to Transition from Point Shooting to Sights
« on: March 21, 2007, 01:40:48 PM »

At Hock's seminar in Romeoville IL last weekend he discussed the range to transition from point shooting to sights using a pistol. He said each person has his won distance that he will use, something that is learned through experience I gather. Later on I wondered whether the same concept applies to long guns and whether that range would be longer or shorter.

I also wondered whether there is an intermediate range where you start looking down the top of the barrel while focusing on the target, but not using the sights.

I guess I had a lot of time to think driving back to Minnesota Sunday night.
"Ruttles"
David Rutledge

threegun

• Level 3
Re: Range to Transition from Point Shooting to Sights
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2007, 10:11:08 AM »

Rut, I don't think its a range as much as what the situation requires. Read this article by Roger Phillips and it explains what I'm talking about

http://www.rogerphillips.oregonshooter.com/?p=4

Hock

• Administrator
  • Level 4
    • www.HocksCQC.com
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2007, 02:38:28 PM »

That article was interesting and he did manage to squeeze in all the cool, hip, catch phrases. We saw Hicks Law, KISS and even the OODA Loop! He even invented some new terms for himself, fluidly continueing....and...and... he even evoked the high spirit of Captain Kirk when he said that "one could boldly go where no shooters have gone before, if only"...and all sentences containing all those words that sounded intelligent. He said....well, what did he say? That point-shooting and/or aiming depends on the situation? Does the situation include range/distance issues?

But, what Rut is talking about was the question he raised...
"when do you start aiming?"

I said that generally you will naturally feel the need to take serious, classic aim the further away you are from the target. That point will be different for different people. Find it by experiment.

(one great way to really establish these points is to rehease these situations with sims guns. because what you think is successful, may not actually be successful when someone is really shooting at you. Great to experiment with.

In Force Science/Minn University, tests were done with totally inexperienced shooters in very scientic, filmed and dissected studies about the success of quick draws, instinct shooting and distance/ranges.

In amazing split-half-seconds, untrained people quick drew, made head shots, instinct shooting up to 5 and 7 feet. Like 90% success rates at 5 -ish feet. No sights.

At about 15 feet they instinctively aimed at the broader target, the chest

At 15 to 21 feet or more, they missed a lot. A lot! This general area might be that this is where they start training to access their sights to hit anything.

The speeds were scary. I saw an overview and slides of the testing. BUT, the pistols, to me, were barely tucked into their pockets or belt line. At least it seemed to me, from the footage I saw at a police symposium. If they were carried "deeper" by real criminals perhaps the quick draw rates wouldn't be so fast?

Anyway that was how the subject came up in the seminar. Generally, a person will "feel the need" to aim. Generally that is often based on a certain distance. And of course, distance is a part of the situation. I don't know if that is a big "Captain Kirk Moment" or not?

Is there anyone out there still teaching people to access their front and rear sights when a bad guy is fighting you at 2 feet distance, or so? I know there use to be.

Hock   

rutleddc

• Level 3
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2007, 07:17:20 AM »

I found some of my assumptions about how to shoot challenged by observations while off the range. I have a water pistol I use to "correct" my two cats when they are doing something bad, such as jumping on the dinner table or kitchen counter. Even though they are taking evasive action and I am pursuing them I manage to get good hits while shooting from the waist and other contorted positions. I never could reconcile why but it made me start shooting from a variety of positions, left hand and right hand grips, just in case that situation came up. I'm still pondering a lot of these things...
"Ruttles"
David Rutledge

Download