W. Hock Hochheim's

Combat Centric

Talk Forum for Military, Police, Martial Artists and Aware Citizenry

Hock Hochheim's Combat Talk Forum

• March 24, 2018, 03:44:49 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Versitile cop flashlight-product review  (Read 1870 times)

• Level 4
Versitile cop flashlight-product review
« on: July 09, 2007, 08:13:08 PM »

Hock or anyone in law enforcement, what is your opinion on less than lethal weapons like stun guns and mace, etc? 

I saw the infomercial for the Cobra stun light and they make it sound like it is the end all for civilian self defense.  Check this thing out.  I do like the distance control, but the laser is kind of dorkey. What I do like is you can slam someone with it, thus the baton versatility.  And it is good for lighting the pilot light in the dark.

So, whatcha think?
An armed citizenry fly their colors, an unarmed citizenry wear their colors.

• Administrator
  • Level 4
Re: Versitile cop flashlight-product review
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2007, 08:35:08 PM »

Taser inc. is making a killing on the market. There weill be many knock-offs.

"Mace" is a bit out of date compared to the common acceptance of pepper spray. Used it on folks. liked it.

I was at a police training deal not long ago and was tased for the first time.  (They were not all that popular, and not in their current state before I retired.) Ouch. OUCH!  And of couse, I have been gassed, maced and pepped in training ceritifications (and in-the-field accidents). It all sucks.

• Level 2
    • DefenseQuest
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2007, 09:55:37 PM »

all companies market their product as the "be all end all" self defense products.  However, this product would be illegal for citizens to possess in Wisconsin, as OC sprayers have to be, by state statute, readily recognizable as OC spray distributors.  So all of the covert OC flashlights, keychains, rings, etc. are illegal.  as far as the bright light and impact weapon ability go, save yourself a hundred bucks and get a stinger or maglight flashlight.

I just have a concern about these types of products.  As a cop, if you are holding your flashlight and the s%$# hits the fan, are you going to remember which button to push to activate the OC and also remember which side of the light to point at the bad guy so you don't accidentally spray yourself, (which I've seen happen with regular OC spray canisters during actual encounters), or just swing the thing like a baton (assuming of course you are justified in using an impact weapon).  In my experience, less bells and whistles means less opportunity for Murphy's Law to intervene.

Just my $0.02

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

• Aaron Warren
  • Level 2
    • WTAC Training
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2007, 01:51:24 PM »

I'll just say it. I hate gimiky crap like this. and there lots of this crap out there. Get a good flashlight like a Surefire E2D and a quility pepper spray. As a Police officer I can't imagine carrying this thing.