W. Hock Hochheim's

Combat Centric

Talk Forum for Military, Police, Martial Artists and Aware Citizenry

Hock Hochheim's Combat Talk Forum

• October 20, 2018, 01:49:56 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Defence against a "Figure of 8 Attack" Using Empty Hand ?  (Read 3765 times)

Curran

• Forum Member
  • Basic Instructor Level
Defence against a "Figure of 8 Attack" Using Empty Hand ?
« on: January 13, 2005, 11:56:30 PM »

If someone came at you with a blade slashing in a figure of 8 and you had no option of retreating how would you defend ?.

The only option we could come up with (a friend I was training with)  is to move foreward and then grapple with the guys arms and lock them. Then hit him with anything and everything. Any thoughts ?
« Last Edit: January 14, 2005, 12:00:08 AM by Curran »

jkdman

• Forum Member
Re: Defence against a "Figure of 8 Attack" Using Empty Hand ?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2005, 02:28:36 AM »

as the hock would say...use something that is avail..hey stun the bastard with your feet...spit anything check his timing of the attack..then boldly go in capture the knive...beat the shit out of the sunofabitch

Hock

• Administrator
  • Level 4
    • www.HocksCQC.com
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2005, 02:48:31 AM »

The five worst case knife scenarios

1- The Tight X Slasher ( Figure 8 pattern)

2-The Prison Pumper (advancing stabber with empty hand forward)

3- The 10 and 2 o'clock ice pick stabber

4- Hell! Being on the botton-side, unarmed on the ground

5- knife to throat hostage taker

In the Surviving Worst Case Scenarios seminars we try to problem solve these as best we can.

But never forget the eye attack as soon as possible. When he comes in slashing in that X or figure eight? Dodge! Sure! But as you dodge, try to stick your fingers in his eyes. This sets the stage for all the follow-ups. What once seemed impossibe?Might be possible against a blind man in pain.

Also read the 3 Myths on this forum.

Hock

cjorden

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2005, 05:01:08 AM »

If you look at the attackers arm you'll notice that the hand and wrist are covering a lot of area with a lot of speed. But you'll notice that their elbow is not covering a lot of area and is moving a lot slower. With the x or figure 8 slashing the attacker is crossing his arm over his body. Not only after the initial slash but during the recovery to slash again. I go for the elbow. Not to grab it, but to pin it and drive it down thru their waist knocking them and pinning them to the ground. Be committed to driving the person back and down at the same time. If they back peddle to catch their balance, get your feet behind theirs and trip them. Start slow, use some kind of really thick mats or a mattress to keep from getting hurt. Watch that you don't knock the wind out of each other. Aim the elbow pin into the belt line, drive back and down at a 45' angle. Let me know what you find.

Professor

• In your house drinking your coffee
  • Level 4
  • The Warlord
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2005, 08:07:37 AM »

If someone came at you with a blade slashing in a figure of 8 and you had no option of retreating how would you defend ?.

The only option we could come up with (a friend I was training with) is to move foreward and then grapple with the guys arms and lock them. Then hit him with anything and everything. Any thoughts ?

If you watch deadly people with a knife, you will find very little movement...they will be very, very still (think of a spring or trap).    Once your knife is positioned in "your" best position , there is very little reason to move the knife -- your instigation of an attack or the goblins movement.   Reposition, and try again.

In my humble opinion, I would much rather fight a person with a figure 8 attack, etc. than a person with the knife perfectly still -- 90% of the time they are out of position.

YMMV
  'Advanced' is being able to do the basics, despite what else is happening. 

Our Country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't be any AMERICA because some foreign soldiery will invade us and take our women and breed a hardier race!"  --- Chesty Puller, USMC

MantasDaga

• MantasDaga
  • Forum Member
  • "There's nothing more lethal than my balisong..."
    • MantasDaga Filipino Knife Tactics
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2005, 01:05:25 PM »

The five worst case knife scenarios

1- The Tight X Slasher ( Figure 8 pattern)

2-The Prison Pumper (advancing stabber with empty hand forward)

3- The 10 and 2 o'clock ice pick stabber

4- Hell! Being on the botton-side, unarmed on the ground

5- knife to throat hostage taker

In the Surviving Worst Case Scenarios seminars we try to problem solve these as best we can.

But never forget the eye attack as soon as possible. When he comes in slashing in that X or figure eight? Dodge! Sure! But as you dodge, try to stick your fingers in his eyes. This sets the stage for all the follow-ups. What once seemed impossibe?Might be possible against a blind man in pain.

Also read the 3 Myths on this forum.

Hock

That's what I say survival, poke that Son of a Bitch eye out,then try to manipulate something to distroy him without compromice.
" Don't care about there intentions,as long you've got your lethal option."

Rawhide

• Level 3
  • Nothing more dangerous than a Marine & His rifle
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2005, 10:16:49 PM »

Us the old Jet Li reponse and take off your belts (sans jumping in the air like a gymnast) and smack 'em in the eyes with it.  Unless you're from Texas where miost of us can use our belt buckles the way the Spartans used the Phalanx!

I also like the spitting part the best!
Cheat in the beginning, cheat in the end, cheat in middle...

www.dallascqc.com

Joe Hubbard

• London, England
  • Level 4
  • Transforming the Esoteric with the Exoteric!
    • www.functionalfighting.com
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2005, 12:00:03 PM »

When I was in college in inner city Boston, a friend of mine (Ed Polliotta- I am sure he was related to Tony Soprano somehow) thwarted a meat clever attack by throwing a hot cup of coffee in the guy’s face.  He used to carry a fish bat with him and followed up by beating the sh+t out of him with the bat.  I like to implement this in training by substituting the coffee with cold water.  It’s not quite the same, but still opens numerous possibilities.

Cheers

Joe
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.  There's also a negative side"

Hunter S. Thompson

www.joehubbardstreetsurvival.com

Visit My Blog: http://joehubbard.wordpress.com

Professor

• In your house drinking your coffee
  • Level 4
  • The Warlord
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2005, 08:39:34 PM »

When I was in college in inner city Boston, a friend of mine (Ed Polliotta- I am sure he was related to Tony Soprano somehow) thwarted a meat clever attack by throwing a hot cup of coffee in the guys face. He used to carry a fish bat with him and followed up by beating the sh+t out of him with the bat. I like to implement this in training by substituting the coffee with cold water. Its not quite the same, but still opens numerous possibilities.

Cheers

Joe

Good guy to buy a beer....might want to edit out the last name for him....
  'Advanced' is being able to do the basics, despite what else is happening. 

Our Country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't be any AMERICA because some foreign soldiery will invade us and take our women and breed a hardier race!"  --- Chesty Puller, USMC

Curran

• Forum Member
  • Basic Instructor Level
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2005, 05:33:50 AM »

Ah yes the hot coffee thing, I remember you telling me about this one Joe.

My mother makes a very potent Indian curry powder. Its more 10 X more potent then madras or vindaloo curry powder.

If you get this stuff in the face its worse then pepper spray.

Hence the reason why my dad who is in his 60s now carries a some of this stuff in his pocket, when he goes on his early morning walks. Any mugger who gets this stuff in the face will be whimpering.

What out you muggers, dont mess with us indians..

C

kamagong

• Level 3
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2005, 12:25:33 PM »

MMMMMMMMMMM...Curry ;D
A life lived without a few scars is a wasted life.

Hock

• Administrator
  • Level 4
    • www.HocksCQC.com
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2009, 08:11:45 AM »

Pepper spray is not a bad dlivery system.

Hock

Download