W. Hock Hochheim's

Combat Centric

Talk Forum for Military, Police, Martial Artists and Aware Citizenry

Hock Hochheim's Combat Talk Forum

• April 26, 2018, 06:55:47 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Cold Steels new Eskrima Sticks  (Read 3855 times)

kamagong

• Level 3
Cold Steels new Eskrima Sticks
« on: August 09, 2007, 01:05:04 PM »

Hey guys!!!  Just got in one of the new sticks from Cold Steel.  I will be trying it out in my workouts over the weekend.  It is a little heavy, but not overly so.  If any of you guys have tried them out already let me know what you think of them.  I'll be trying it on the war-post next week.

BTW, did any of you guys catch the Eskrima episode of "Human Weapon"??  What did ya think?
A life lived without a few scars is a wasted life.

Hock

• Administrator
  • Level 4
    • www.HocksCQC.com
Re: Cold Steels new Eskrima Sticks
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2007, 01:59:13 PM »

I like those sticks

I saw a bit of the show. It was like the two similar MA series/shows before this one (both British), except for the water buffalo wrestling!

Too bad they used that incorragable, strange Leo Gaje though. 

Hock

chfroehlich

• Level 2
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2007, 05:26:34 AM »

If any of you guys have tried them out already let me know what you think of them.

A little bit to long and to heavy for regular training.
For special conditiong good.

I have one in my car just in case  ;D

I prefer the Got-Stick MS02.30 from ATF1898 or a pair of Labsika for regular training.

Greets

Christof

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.

-- Sigmund Freud, General Introduction to Psychoanalysis

Kaliman33

• Level 2
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2007, 07:30:23 AM »

If you cut the short node of the stick (top) off it will be 30 inches, if you cut the longer one (bottom) it will be 28" they we made so you could cusomize them. just take a hack saw, it will not hurt the stick in any way, i did mine on a miter saw, i like them much better at 28 inches.

by the way, i am a cold steel distibuter and i can probably give you a better deal
:-)

Marc Halleck

kamagong

• Level 3
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2007, 09:01:23 AM »

I worked with mine yesterday and today, they are a bit heavy.  I have yet to cut mine off yet, I normally like training sticks 31 inches in length.  But, I agree, they are good for special training.  Pick up a lighter rattan and it feels like nothing.  My Assistant Instructor Karen will definately have to cut hers down.  The good thing is, this may save money on rattan sticks in that we are going through a lot of them.

I did like the show, and yes, Gaje made his usual showing.  LOL!!  I do admire the system, and do not wish to take anything away from his skills, but he is a little odd.

JoeBrandt

• Level 1
  • To Preserve Life, Freedom and Democracy.
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2007, 03:39:52 AM »

A little bit to long and to heavy for regular training.

You're a little and weak guy  ;)

kamagong

• Level 3
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2007, 09:39:02 AM »

We can't all be huge strong men like you Joe!!  LOL!!  Some of us just have to settle for being handsome, charismatic, and attractive to women.   ;D

chfroehlich

• Level 2
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2007, 03:35:21 AM »

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.

-- Sigmund Freud, General Introduction to Psychoanalysis

redcap

• "I've done dead, didn't like it" 22 June 2009
  • Level 4
    • Streetwise Philippines
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2007, 06:21:34 AM »

How much are these sticks?  I buy mine from a rattan importer who gets in a container load every few months (he repairs furniture and sells to craft people).  He will cut to size at no extra charge and a pair of 28inchX1inch cost me US$8 delievered.  I now buy them at 1mx25mm and cut to size using the excess for pocket sticks and daggers.  I also order 1mX20mm for Vigny La Canne's. I usually order 10 pair at a time.

For hard and heavy power work I use a hickory Hoe handle from the local hardware chain, Bunnings.  I buy them for US$6 and cut the last 12inches off (has a rounded end), drill a hole in the end for a thumb strap and a core hole at the tip to weight with lead or a bolt and make a C.O.S.H.  The long bit makes a Gamsby Walking Stick and being hickory I can whack the tyres as hard as I like and get a great upper body workout.

I like the Cold Steel product range although one of my students has the walking cane with the silver ball knob and I find that too heavy for Vigny-Lang la Canne style work and not the right balance for FMA style and too light at the skinny end for GWS method.  Shame, nice stick.  Cheers Redcap

“No man knows the hour of his ending, nor can he choose the place or the manner of his going. To each it is given to die proudly, to die well, and this is, indeed, the final measure of the man.” Louis L’Amour

kamagong

• Level 3
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2007, 07:56:13 AM »

I got mine through a local distributer, they cost me around 18.00.  But, I have purchased knives from this guy for years.  Talk to Marc, he is a Cold Steel distributer, like he said earlier, he may be able to get you a good price.  I get my rattan from bloodsport.com, their sticks have lasted me longer than anybody elses that I have found so far.  Prices are a little high, but if you tape them up, they last 3x as long.

JoeBrandt

• Level 1
  • To Preserve Life, Freedom and Democracy.
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2007, 07:25:46 AM »

We can't all be huge strong men like you Joe!!  LOL!!  Some of us just have to settle for being handsome, charismatic, and attractive to women.   ;D

I'm still living in my beautilful cave... So I don't need a woman - I need a mammoth.
But... Much to our regret I must inform you that the last mammoth is dead...

So'm looking for some raod-meat and some condensate on the flowers... That's my way of life...

kamagong

• Level 3
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2007, 08:15:06 AM »

LOL!!  Joe, I wish you all the best with your search for a new mammoth.  We all need companionship!  I tried living with a mammoth and searching for road meat, but when you have company over, they tend not to like the road meat unless you have a lot of ketchup!!  LOL!!  Take care Joe!!

Download