W. Hock Hochheim's

Combat Centric

Talk Forum for Military, Police, Martial Artists and Aware Citizenry

Hock Hochheim's Combat Talk Forum

• September 23, 2018, 08:33:52 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Saturday Night Specials  (Read 5275 times)

Hock

• Administrator
  • Level 4
    • www.HocksCQC.com
Saturday Night Specials
« on: January 16, 2005, 08:17:56 AM »

Calling all experts!

Where have all the Saturday Night Special guns gone?

Do the old timers remember when these little guns were the scurge of crime? Say, the 60s and 70s?

I know there was some serious import legislation back then, but does anyone know?

Hock
« Last Edit: January 16, 2005, 08:19:41 AM by HockHoch@aol.com »

Professor

• In your house drinking your coffee
  • Level 4
  • The Warlord
Re: Saturday Night Specials
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2005, 08:37:38 PM »

Calling all experts!

Where have all the Saturday Night Special guns gone?

Do the old timers remember when these little guns were the scurge of crime? Say, the 60s and 70s?

I know there was some serious import legislation back then, but does anyone know?

Hock

They have been taken overy by the compact and micro semi-autos.   I can carry a Kimber Ultra-carry with a better load, better sights, better trigger, more carry options (at a slightly higher price).    Glock has probably done more to kill the special than anyone else:

Caliber: 9x19mm
Length (slide)  6.29 in.            160 mm
Height 2)  4.17 in.            106 mm
Width  1.18 in.              30 mm
Length between sights  5.67 in.            144 mm
Barrel length: 3.46 in.             88 mm   
Magazine capacity    10 / 12
Full magazine:   ~6.35 oz.         ~180 g

Smith&Wesson Airweight:
Revolver
Model: 37
Caliber: .38 S&W Special +P
Barrel Length: 1-7/8"
Capacity: 5 Rounds
Front Sight: Serrated Ramp Finish: Black
Rear Sight: Fixed Notch Overall length: 6-5/16"
Firing System: N/A Weight: 15 ounces

I will choose the Glock 26 over the S&W airweight due to the option that I noted above the specs.   I love the Ruger sp101.   Great gun, love the .357 (started shooting pistols as a pre-teen with the caliber), very accurate, 6 shots, slow reload, speed loader are tough to carry.   At the most I'll have 12 shots - if I go to the trouble.   I can carry the Kimber, I have 9 shots of .45, and 16 tucked in a back pocket and quick reloads.

It's hard to argue about the death of the special when we have some many other choices. 

Jeff 

'Advanced' is being able to do the basics, despite what else is happening. 

Our Country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't be any AMERICA because some foreign soldiery will invade us and take our women and breed a hardier race!"  --- Chesty Puller, USMC

lakerssportsfan

• Level 2
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2005, 09:28:27 AM »

But Professor--the guns you mentioned may be small but they certainly are not cheap.  Saturday Night Specials were cheap as well as small.

I think some of these guns got hit by various import restrictions and some of the US companies went out of business due to consumer lawsuits.

Also rap music and popular culture makes reference to names like Glock so that any self respecting criminal needs to get one to be trendy.

Professor

• In your house drinking your coffee
  • Level 4
  • The Warlord
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2005, 02:19:01 PM »

But Professor--the guns you mentioned may be small but they certainly are not cheap. Saturday Night Specials were cheap as well as small.

I think some of these guns got hit by various import restrictions and some of the US companies went out of business due to consumer lawsuits.

Also rap music and popular culture makes reference to names like Glock so that any self respecting criminal needs to get one to be trendy.

Ah, the way of the switchblade and Balisong.   Hollywood gets rid of a lot of things (This was the fat lady's opening song for the SNS)

9mm handguns changed a lot of things for the Saturday night special.......the "pray and spray" came in our venacular for a reason....about the same time the SNS started disappearing (the fat ladys closing song).

Cheap is cheap.  I can get a hot .380 autos for the same price as a hot SNS.   The gun prices aren't the problem.....the Colt Trooper lasted longer the the SNS due to perception and trends.   No worries, the Snubbies are coming back....slowly...the are beginning to become "re-appreciated".

'Advanced' is being able to do the basics, despite what else is happening. 

Our Country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't be any AMERICA because some foreign soldiery will invade us and take our women and breed a hardier race!"  --- Chesty Puller, USMC

Milldog1776

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2005, 03:23:49 PM »

Professor,

I think it's because nobody listens to Lynard Skynard anymore. :D

Bujinkandas

• Bujinkandas
  • Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2005, 06:42:18 AM »

I am a federal agent and off duty I love a snubby to get the job done. However, as stated earlier, I think pop culture has changed peoples minds about wheel guns. They just are not cool anymore. We oldtimers know that they are great. They don't jam, and even if someone grabs my barrel blocking the cylinder, I can still get at least one shot off. By the way, I just bought the level one course and I really like it. I hope to be one of your instructors one day. ;)
« Last Edit: January 31, 2005, 06:44:11 AM by dasmith8952 »

pbowling

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2005, 05:00:15 PM »

In Maryland (Peoples Republic of) the Saturday night specials have been gone for a long time as well as some of the better derringers (which are still available).  Maryland has a "committee" to approve guns (or ban them) on the handgun roster and the only handguns that can be sold in MD must be on the roster.  The last "little" gun I had was an Ivers .25 cal (I think it was an Ivers) in a wallet holster.  I gave it to a friend working UC for Customs in Miami about 15 years ago.  My dad has a .22 mag derringer that I'd love to bring from Virginia but I'm afraid to because of Maryland's laws. 
Most of the criminals in this area use the "9".  However, most of the holes that I repair in people come from knives!!

Paul

Be alert, decisive, agressive, fast, cool, ruthless and keep the element of surprise on your side!

seanross

• Level 3
    • Sean's Home Page
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2005, 01:58:33 AM »

The pawn shops in Albuquerque are full of very small handguns - lots of small semi-auto .223's  These are the weapon of choice for the aspiring teen gang member since they are cheap and very concealable.  Of course, I think you might have to dump the entire clip into someone to kill them, but even one round would really mess up their day.  Probably enough firepower to enforce a drug deal.
"Do not imitate the ancient masters.  Seek what they sought!"

GTC-554

• Level 1
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2005, 09:53:03 PM »

I remember that back in the 70's Saturday Night Specials were described as, "unreliable, inaccurate, underpowered revolvers.  When the future Brady Bunch folks got them "banned", the criminals replaced them with reliable, accurate, higher powered semi-autos.  If all guns eventually get "banned" the criminals will probably start manufacturing full-auto stuff.
"The world is a dangerous place to live not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."
Albert Einstein

"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."
Marcus Aurelius

Download