W. Hock Hochheim's

Combat Centric

Talk Forum for Military, Police, Martial Artists and Aware Citizenry

Hock Hochheim's Combat Talk Forum

• July 20, 2018, 11:47:10 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Front Sight Firearms Institute  (Read 2679 times)

Ed Giglio

• Level 1
    • Invictus Solutions
Front Sight Firearms Institute
« on: August 27, 2007, 07:49:08 AM »

Stumbled upon www.frontsight.com and have seen a documentary on it also.

What a place! I must say, the most refreshing thing I've seen is the biography of the founder and director

Dr. Ignatius Piazza. Despite the fact that he is a controversial figure the fact that he does'nt allege or imply any

former special forces training blady bla like 99% of people out there is inspiring. He is just a dedicated citizen who

has had the inspiration, willingness and tenacity to get the training he aspired to.

Perhaps www.frontsight.com is commercial compared to Blackwater but I would cerainly love to have such

facilities anywhere in reach in Europe that's for sure.

The only thing I'm not keen on is the Martial Arts program they have...seems a lot of the typical punching the pads with

fists and sparring with plastic knives...and all for extortionate costs!!! It always amazes me how such programs can

command such high fees people are prepared to fork out. I mean...is it all to do with marketing or are people genuinely

ignorant. Not to kiss ass but if such martial arts programs cost a thousand dollars a day then by that same measure Hock's

material should be worth millions!!!

Ciao,

Ed

« Last Edit: August 27, 2007, 07:54:42 AM by Ed Giglio »

Hock

• Administrator
  • Level 4
    • www.HocksCQC.com
Re: Front Sight Firearms Institute
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2007, 08:36:38 AM »

I know Nash (Dr. Ignatius Piazza)
I have taught at Front Site.
I know several instructors out there (all part-time, contract labor) All feel a little-to-a-lot abused. Long story.

Nash...is an overbearing, CAREFULLY, carefully,  crafted facade...ego/nutter. He is rather unbrearable says all, and a his plans for Frontsite have really been a disaster. He dreamed a huge complex , a city, and in reality, he can't even build the bathrooms after ten years. He is not well liked, even by those who know hm and shoot there regularly. He is tolerated.

He has constructed a series of multi-colored, life-time membership programs that would confuse, well...even him, when you have to explain them. He still can scoop in the big bucks by the shovel froma  certain semi-weathly gun crowd type, a certain demographic, , yet he falls in and out of financial troubles and desparate pleas. To me, his campaigns resemble church ministries aproach with deadlines and well, common sales methods. There are always stories about his Scientology involvement and all that rot of which I have not followed.

The actual facilities are just fine and the instruction is organized and as good as you'll get AT ANY OTHER GOOD PLACE (important note).
The people that work there are good people.

A day or two at Front Site is just fine.
Just don't pull back the curtain.

(I personally just would not buy into any of their weird color-code membership programs, if even I could understand them.)

Hock

WTAC

• Aaron Warren
  • Level 2
    • WTAC Training
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2007, 01:47:26 PM »

I went to there two day rifle class (free) two years ago. Good instructors,well run class,very good at teaching the basics or for a refresher. Nothing earth shattering or revolutionary, but fun. For non LE folks with money its not a bad place.
Pahrump rocks lol  :D

Aaron Warren

Hock

• Administrator
  • Level 4
    • www.HocksCQC.com
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2007, 05:21:29 PM »

The only thing I'm not keen on is the Martial Arts program they have...seems a lot of the typical punching the pads with fists and sparring with plastic knives...and all for extortionate costs!!! It always amazes me how such programs can command such high fees people are prepared to fork out.

Here in the USA, Frontsite appeals to gun culture and that culture is use to handing out the big bucks, so overcharging for MA training is not a surprise. And it is typical, shallow, short and not good compared to what it could be. But what they offer is kind of what that culture kind of expects.

They had a knife course that was nothing more than dueling/fencing and Filipino material. Probably still run that course.

Hock

Joe Hubbard

• London, England
  • Level 4
  • Transforming the Esoteric with the Exoteric!
    • www.functionalfighting.com
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2007, 04:32:31 AM »

I recently saw Shooter with Mark Walberg- great movie!  Front Sight taught Walberg to shoot at 1000 yards accurately within two days.  They teamed him up with an ex- Force Recon guy 24-2 to get these results; I bet that would cost mega bucks for us ordinary folks.
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.  There's also a negative side"

Hunter S. Thompson

www.joehubbardstreetsurvival.com

Visit My Blog: http://joehubbard.wordpress.com

lakerssportsfan

• Level 2
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2007, 01:03:43 AM »

Front sight has a bad reputation in the gun training community for being overpriced and underquality.  If you don't have a first time certificate they charge double the going rate of training.  For someone who doesn't know much about guns or training it may seem impressive. 

You also get endless pitches for memberships.

Here is a link to the litigation.  It sounds like a modernday ponzi scheme.

http://www.frontsightlitigation.com/index.html

For a more pointed critique of Frontsight:

http://www.tacticalforums.com/cgi-bin/tacticalubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=001822

GTC-554

• Level 1
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2007, 10:43:45 AM »

I've been to Front Sight a few times.  I've never paid retail.  If you want a good basic firearms course, go on E-bay and buy a certificate for a $2,000.00 course, for around $100.00.  This is for first timers only.
"The world is a dangerous place to live not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."
Albert Einstein

"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."
Marcus Aurelius

Download