W. Hock Hochheim's

Combat Centric

Talk Forum for Military, Police, Martial Artists and Aware Citizenry

Hock Hochheim's Combat Talk Forum

• April 22, 2018, 12:58:33 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 90 Guns for Every 100 People in the USA  (Read 3734 times)

Hock

• Administrator
  • Level 4
    • www.HocksCQC.com
90 Guns for Every 100 People in the USA
« on: August 28, 2007, 12:05:50 PM »

My main concern is...how are we gonna' get some guns to those last 10 people?  - Hock

||||||||||

GENEVA (Reuters) - The United States has 90 guns for every 100 citizens, making it the most heavily armed society in the world, a report released on Tuesday said.  U.S. citizens own 270 million of the world's 875 million known firearms, according to the Small Arms Survey 2007 by the Geneva-based Graduate Institute of International Studies.

About 4.5 million of the 8 million new guns manufactured worldwide each year are purchased in the United States, it said.

"There is roughly one firearm for every seven people worldwide. Without the United States, though, this drops to about one firearm per 10 people," it said.

India had the world's second-largest civilian gun arsenal, with an estimated 46 million firearms outside law enforcement and the military, though this represented just four guns per 100 people there. China, ranked third with 40 million privately held guns, had 3 firearms per 100 people.

Germany, France, Pakistan, Mexico, Brazil and Russia were next in the ranking of country's overall civilian gun arsenals.

On a per-capita basis, Yemen had the second most heavily armed citizenry behind the United States, with 61 guns per 100 people, followed by Finland with 56, Switzerland with 46, Iraq with 39 and Serbia with 38.

France, Canada, Sweden, Austria and Germany were next, each with about 30 guns per 100 people, while many poorer countries often associated with violence ranked much lower. Nigeria, for instance, had just one gun per 100 people.

"Firearms are very unevenly distributed around the world. The image we have of certain regions such as Africa or Latin America being awash with weapons -- these images are certainly misleading," Small Arms Survey director Keith Krause said.

"Weapons ownership may be correlated with rising levels of wealth, and that means we need to think about future demand in parts of the world where economic growth is giving people larger disposable income," he told a Geneva news conference.

The report, which relied on government data, surveys and media reports to estimate the size of world arsenals, estimated there were 650 million civilian firearms worldwide, and 225 million held by law enforcement and military forces.

Five years ago, the Small Arms Survey had estimated there were a total of just 640 million firearms globally.

"Civilian holdings of weapons worldwide are much larger than we previously believed," Krause said, attributing the increase largely to better research and more data on weapon distribution networks.

Only about 12 percent of civilian weapons are thought to be registered with authorities.

grlaun

• Rawhide
  • Level 4
  • Jeff 'Rawhide' Laun
Re: 90 Guns for Every 100 People in the USA
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2007, 09:03:39 PM »

Thats what the Short Bus is for!

Onward Professor - Arnold's got a delivery!
Cheat in Beginning - Cheat in the Middle - Cheat in the End
Official Evil Ninja - 2008
Texas Peace Officer 8/2009
"You're making the wrong assumption that a Marine by himself is outnumbered"
Gen Peter Pace, 28Jul06
"You tell that muthaf**ka, he owes me money!"

JoeBrandt

• Level 1
  • To Preserve Life, Freedom and Democracy.
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2007, 07:10:05 AM »

We would have the greatest difficulty in getting firearms... Also for german law enforcement and military...

Professor

• In your house drinking your coffee
  • Level 4
  • The Warlord
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2007, 10:06:58 AM »

Hired some cops from England and a trailer for the short bus.

First load has gone out to the masses.  The cops from england are still trying to figure out why we are handing out metal sticks to people.

::)

'Advanced' is being able to do the basics, despite what else is happening. 

Our Country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't be any AMERICA because some foreign soldiery will invade us and take our women and breed a hardier race!"  --- Chesty Puller, USMC

Bri Thai

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2007, 05:27:14 PM »

The British ex squaddies know what they are, as many of them had Americans shooting at them in Iraq.

arnold

• the king of cool
  • Level 4
  • oh that will get you killed
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2007, 06:09:43 PM »

I got mine! Glad the 30 or so that I have helped bring the average up
I leave you idiots alone for 5 minutes and I come back and you're all dancing around like a bunch of Kansas City faggots
you're all a bunch of slack jawed faggots around here, this stuff will make you a sexual tyrannosaurus, just like me!

william_badders

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2007, 12:33:39 PM »

but 90 out 100 don't have the guns in US. for example my dad has about 10 guns si that represents 10 people right there.

~William
"Tomorrow’s battles are won, by today’s practice."

rutleddc

• Level 3
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2007, 03:27:33 PM »

I only own seven firearms - I feel soooo inadequate.  :-[
"Ruttles"
David Rutledge

arnold

• the king of cool
  • Level 4
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2007, 06:54:21 PM »

Buck up brother! Go out tomorrow and buy another gun immediately!
I leave you idiots alone for 5 minutes and I come back and you're all dancing around like a bunch of Kansas City faggots
you're all a bunch of slack jawed faggots around here, this stuff will make you a sexual tyrannosaurus, just like me!

rutleddc

• Level 3
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2007, 10:33:54 AM »

Maybe another 1911 45 - now that's a classic that demands respect!  :)
"Ruttles"
David Rutledge

arnold

• the king of cool
  • Level 4
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2007, 07:04:46 PM »

One atta boy. Move up 2 rows on the bus immediately!

michael

• Level 3
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2007, 08:08:30 PM »

You mean there are folks who don't own guns? ??? ;D
**To be a warrior is not a simple matter of wishing to be one. It is rather an endless struggle that will go on to the very last moment of our lives. Nobody is born a warrior, in exactly the same way that nobody is born an average man. We make ourselves into one or the other.** Carlos Castaneda

arnold

• the king of cool
  • Level 4
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2007, 05:41:20 AM »

Isn't that like not owning a toothbrush? No wonder so many in Europe have green teeth!

Bri Thai

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2007, 07:38:47 AM »

They're yellow, actually.  They only look green because of the way the light shines off them because of the crooked angles.

However, they do seem to stay inside living heads longer than American teeth, as our spotty and troubled teenagers don't have a habit of shooting all their friends over here.

rutleddc

• Level 3
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2007, 10:25:09 AM »

Is that because they prefer the "disarming" use of samurai swords and sharp knives?  ???
"Ruttles"
David Rutledge

Bri Thai

« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2007, 10:00:15 AM »

Yes!

edude69

• Level 2
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2007, 05:43:54 PM »

I think it's time to buy another gun safe.  Mine is already full.
We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. 

George Orwell

Milldog1776

« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2007, 06:54:10 PM »

I think it's time to buy another gun safe.  Mine is already full.

You can keep a few in my safe. For a small fee. ;D

seanross

• Level 3
    • Sean's Home Page
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2007, 03:59:02 PM »

I only own seven firearms - I feel soooo inadequate.  :-[

I must be even less manly than you.  I only own four:  The riot gun, the range gun, the house gun and the carry gun.  Maybe, next I could get a bear gun.  Never know when I might be attacked by a bear.  Always have been attracted to .44 magnum.
"Do not imitate the ancient masters.  Seek what they sought!"

Download