W. Hock Hochheim's

Combat Centric

Talk Forum for Military, Police, Martial Artists and Aware Citizenry

Hock Hochheim's Combat Talk Forum

• July 20, 2018, 12:48:39 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Teen fights off man with chainsaw  (Read 2777 times)

WTAC

• Aaron Warren
  • Level 2
    • WTAC Training
Teen fights off man with chainsaw
« on: September 12, 2007, 07:41:03 AM »

Teen fights off man with chainsaw
By Macollvie Jean-François

South Florida Sun-Sentinel

September 09, 2007

Original South Florida Sun-Sentinel article: Teen fights off man with saw 
Read 1 comment »
What a weekend 17-year-old Kenny Partanen had.

While waiting for wire cables to be delivered to his home Saturday morning, the longtime student of the martial art called Hapkido fought off a chain-saw-wielding neighbor who barged into his family's Lyons Park home.

'I'm happy I spent all that cash on Hapkido, because that saved us,' Kenny's mother, Peggy Partanen, 46, said Sunday.

Reached at her home, the neighbor's mother declined to comment about the disturbance. The South Florida Sun-Sentinel is not identifying the man or his mother because he was not arrested.

Spokespersons for the Broward Sheriff's Office and Pompano Beach Fire-Rescue said they responded to a disturbance at the home and took one person from there to Imperial Point Medical Center. Neither agency could provide further details Sunday.

The Partanens remembered the episode vividly.

Kenny, a senior at Atlantic Technical High School, said his friends had just picked up a compressor for a robotics competition at Stranahan High School. He said goodbye and went back inside the house to wait for the cables he would also need, leaving the front door open.

Moments later, Kenny said, the 6-foot, 300-pound neighbor walked in with a chain saw belonging to Ed Partanen, 56, the teen's father. Screaming and spewing obscenities, the neighbor tried, in vain, to rev up the tool.

Kenny managed to grab the 18-inch saw and ordered the intruder out. The man refused to go, screamed and wandered around the house. Kenny, at 5 feet 6 and 210 pounds, managed to push him to the door frame, where they grappled.

'I yelled to my dad, 'Bring something metal and hard!'' Kenny said.

Ed Partanen brought a frying pan and struck the man several times on the wrist.

'He kept shoving harder and harder, screaming louder and louder,' Kenny said.

Meanwhile, a frantic Peggy Partanen called 911, and Kenny's brother Donald, 11, ran to his bedroom. Desperate, Kenny said he shoved his index and middle fingers into the man's eye socket.

'His head went up, he lost his balance, and that gave me time to close the door,' he said.

Seconds after the man's mother drove up, about 10 deputies arrived and shocked the man with their Taser guns, Kenny said.

The Partanens declined to press charges after learning from the man's mother that he was taking medication, Peggy Partanen said.

'This kid did a hell of a job,' said Phil Barrett, Kenny's Hapkido instructor. 'Now I don't feel so bad I beat him so much.'

Macollvie Jean-Francois may be reached at mjfrancois@sun-sentinel.com or 954-385-7922.

Aaron Warren

Wardog

• Level 4
Re: Teen fights off man with chainsaw
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2007, 09:13:32 AM »

'This kid did a hell of a job,' said Phil Barrett, Kenny's Hapkido instructor. 'Now I don't feel so bad I beat him so much.'

Great story but I hate comments like this. It turns in to," but I am tougher."  One of those "me" comments. Look at me. He couldn't just say "The kid did a great job. I am proud of him."> Like a kid accomplishing something and the Dad having to say "I taught him everything he knows!" Look at me!

redcap

• "I've done dead, didn't like it" 22 June 2009
  • Level 4
    • Streetwise Philippines
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2007, 06:11:46 PM »

Good point Wardog.  I get the impression from the article that the chainsaw wasn't operating at the time, is that right?  I liked the "get something metal and hard" instruction.  Is it a trailer park thing where you have to be so specific when giving instructions like that? Hehehehehe  Redcap
“No man knows the hour of his ending, nor can he choose the place or the manner of his going. To each it is given to die proudly, to die well, and this is, indeed, the final measure of the man.” Louis L’Amour

Kentbob

• JOAT
  • Level 4
  • Sound the horn and call the cry
    • Antrim Self-Protection
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2007, 07:04:57 AM »

Great story but I hate comments like this. It turns in to," but I am tougher."  One of those "me" comments. Look at me. He couldn't just say "The kid did a great job. I am proud of him."> Like a kid accomplishing something and the Dad having to say "I taught him everything he knows!" Look at me!

Yeah, Wardog, I agree, that comment was unnecessary.  I more professional observation would have been something like, "I'm glad I push him so hard.", or any number of things along those lines.  Still, kudos to  the kid.  Even if the chainsaw wasn't running, that's still a big, heavy, sharp object capable of causing serious harm.  And it doesn't say if he was trying to start it, but if the kid had perhaps tried verbal tactics alone, the guy may have just taken it into his head to get it started.  What a very strange incident.

Kent
"Specialization is for insects."-Robert A. Heinlein

http://antrimmasp.blogspot.com/

arnold

• the king of cool
  • Level 4
  • oh that will get you killed
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2007, 05:19:52 AM »

"As he tried in vain to rev up the tool". Kentster, he was not talking about his manhood. And more than likely, this disturbance being in south Florida, it was in a trailer park as the assailant was over 300, and the kid was 5'6 and 210. He's either in incredible shape ( I doubt it) or a pile, as he couldn't shove the 300 pound lard ass out the door. Sounds like a lot of convenience store foods being consumed at this location, fried pork rinds and such.
I leave you idiots alone for 5 minutes and I come back and you're all dancing around like a bunch of Kansas City faggots
you're all a bunch of slack jawed faggots around here, this stuff will make you a sexual tyrannosaurus, just like me!

Naso Karas

• Level 1
  • Μολὠν Λαβἐ!
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2007, 08:19:51 PM »

With 510lbs in the door, I'm surprised the trailer's still upright....

Where has this thread gone?

Strength & Honor,

Naso Karas
American Freestyle Combatives
Scientific Fighting Congress

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum.

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2007, 10:32:34 PM »

Hello Naso-what do you mean where did the tread go? stay  safe whitewolf

Naso Karas

• Level 1
  • Μολὠν Λαβἐ!
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2007, 02:38:16 PM »

Went from a kid in Hapkido defending his family to a couple of chubs in a trailer park!

That's what I meant by that!
Strength & Honor,

Naso Karas
American Freestyle Combatives
Scientific Fighting Congress

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum.

Download