W. Hock Hochheim's

Combat Centric

Talk Forum for Military, Police, Martial Artists and Aware Citizenry

Hock Hochheim's Combat Talk Forum

• March 23, 2018, 04:57:50 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Went Shooting Yesterday  (Read 1136 times)

• Level 4
Went Shooting Yesterday
« on: January 06, 2008, 01:46:30 PM »

However, this one was different since it took place at an outdoor range in Danville, VA. 8)
Unlike previous indoor ranges, I had no constraints on what techniques I can practice and I could shoot from the holster. I didn't waste my time shooting from long distances, which I usually do. I did mainly close-quarters shooting techniques, kneeling, and lying prone/sideways techniques. It was my first experience of my life shooting CQ using live fire. Prior then, all I did was dry-firing. And, the groups were tight too despite limited experience doing them live fire. Most of the techniques I did were dissected from the books/videos of firearms pioneers Chuck Taylor, Hock Hochheim, Ralph Mroz, and Benny Cooley. I fired 240 rds. of .40 S&W and 220 rds. of .45 ACP. For each technique, I fired rapidly about 2-3 shots at a time per technique, mostly from the draw and then I reholstered. When I did 3 shots, it usually began with double taps to the chest and then the last shot to the head. It was great but I had to pay a price, which is a learning experience. When I did the elbow technique, my 6-yr. old worn out leather coat ( got in the way and I ended up shooting some parts of my jacket with my .45. At least it wasn't my bodypart. I had to buy a similar replacement with my credit card, for $98 though. Here was an outline of the techinques I did live/rapid-fire at the range.

CQC Shooting:
speed rock (2 shots to the chest/body)*
weak hand speed rock (")
elbow technique (")*
drive forward techique (")*
shove and shoot (2 shots to the chest/body, 1 to the head)
angle forward (")*
retention drill, including weak-hand (")
fall back to the ground, including weak hand (2 shots to the chest/body)*
" except with legs flat on the ground and feet crossed, including weak hand (")
sweep and shoot (")*

Other Unconventional Techiques:
lying prone on belly, including weak hand (2 shots to the chest/body)*
side prone, left and right side (")*
kneeling, including weak-hand (")*
kneeling w/ both knees on the ground, including weak hand (")
turning drills w/ 2-hand shoot, left/right/to the rear (3 shots to the body/chest, if most preferred, 3rd shot to the head)

-Note that the ones marked with an * indicated that it was done from the draw, using a strong side holster concealed under a leather coat. Its far from IDPA but it's a hell of a good start to reality combat shooting. I didn't shoot any further than 10 feet during the session.  Looking forward to doing it again, this time using other carry methods! Too bad no one else was there to see me doing them right with economy and accuracy. ;D

« Last Edit: January 06, 2008, 01:50:08 PM by VicMackey »
"Fail to prepare, prepare to fail."
"A citizen is armed and free while a subject is disarmed and under control."
"An armed society is a polite society."
"Keep your friends close and your enemies closer"-Sun Tzu
"Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth"-Mike Tyson

Nick Hughes

• Level 4
    • Fight Survival
Re: Went Shooting Yesterday
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2008, 07:15:57 PM »

I'd give the speed rock a swerve mate.  It's junk.  Ever since simunitions and the ability to practice for real what had often been theory we're finding that people attempting the rock are being knocked on their arses again and again and again.

The paper target doesn't care that you've rocked your body weight dangerously backwards and tilted your upper body in the same direction and over you go.

The one that is holding up under real pressure is the draw up to the pec with the body weight canted forward and the weapon aiming down into the pelvic area.

Now, a lot of people who have a lot of training time invested in the speed rock will no doubt chime in here saying that's not'll find most of them have never ever pressure tested the technique with someone rushing them intent on killing they'll sit in their armchairs and pontificate at length.

Don't believe me, and don't believe them.  Instead, buy an airsoft, holster it, and have mates run in on you from close range and try it.  By about the eighth time you've been sat on your butt you'll have your answer.

Hard pressed on my right. My center is yielding. Impossible to maneuver. Situation excellent. I am attacking.
--Ferdinand Foch-- at the Battle of the Marne

• Level 4
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2008, 06:24:21 PM »

Good insight, Nick. Something for me to reconsider. Although I tried it, it is my least favorite and less likely used technique for a real situation. That's what the range is for, to see what works for me and what is crap. The only thing it's useful for is if you are being pushed backwards against the hood of a car and the dirtbag is very close to you. Even the groupings are not lethal shots. It's better to assess it's weakness at the range or simunitions scenarios than in a real situation. Again, thanks for the advice.
"Fail to prepare, prepare to fail."
"A citizen is armed and free while a subject is disarmed and under control."
"An armed society is a polite society."
"Keep your friends close and your enemies closer"-Sun Tzu
"Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth"-Mike Tyson

• Administrator
  • Level 4
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2008, 06:28:37 PM »

Remember I said we lost this topic, well I found it in the general page and put it back here. There is more on this two topics away...