W. Hock Hochheim's

Combat Centric

Talk Forum for Military, Police, Martial Artists and Aware Citizenry

Hock Hochheim's Combat Talk Forum

• October 16, 2018, 02:42:27 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: A Thanks  (Read 3764 times)

Hock

• Administrator
  • Level 4
    • www.HocksCQC.com
A Thanks
« on: October 11, 2007, 06:40:02 AM »

OK Brace Yourself!
This is a blatant kind of "ad" for me, but it was a such a nice note I decided to print it....

|||||||

Just wanted to give you another thank-you for a lot of things.  Years ago, I got screwed over by a knife instructor.  His material wasn't even very good and he charged a fortune for it.  I went to you thereafter and things have been great ever since.  You offer quality material with no strings attached.  You're all heart and I respect that.  Your system is highly adaptable and very applicable. I like your organization and teaching methods, and your videos are great. With most videos, I usually throw most of the techniques out the window, feeling lucky if I got a handful of usable techniques afterwards.  With your videos, it's quite a job trying to find a technique that I wouldn't or couldn't use. 95% quality. Tops the charts hands down.

People like you are few in the industry still, and I hope people give you the credit you deserve.  It means a lot to people like me, and I plan to stick with you and support your mission for as long as it goes on. As I said, you're all heart and I respect that.

Thanks again,
Dan Ashapa
Schools in Nevada and Colorado

mleone

• Level 4
Re: A Thanks
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2007, 07:33:59 AM »

Same here Hock, You have provided us with a worthy curriculum. I too delt with Knife systems that were dipping in the pocketts and having cultish mentalities.

When I saw one of your knife videos for the first time. It was like a mountain of gold to me. I cant possibly thank you enough. The relationships I have developed with Jim Mccaan over the years as well as others, are much appreciated.

I have come so far, and I got further to go. But thats the fun part.

The beauty of it all, is that we can add or subtract the curriculum and with out that "Martial arts stink" you always talk about. I have made some very good friends here.

All the meat and potatoes with out the whole title nonsense of Supreme Ultra grand master.
I also thank Mccaan too, for his patients as well his masterfull skill and hospitality.

Thanks for the 10 Levels, I have stuck with it and plan to keep going.
I also realized that there is alot of Nonsense material out there that leads to no where.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2007, 07:37:04 AM by mleone »

usks1

• Level 4
  • Don't tell me.. show me..
    • U.S. Karate
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2007, 08:39:43 AM »

I guess I just got lucky..

I found Hock on one of those old AOL FMA boards in the 90's about the time the Congress of American Knife fighters started up. I had just moved to Texas from California, and decided I needed some more knife skill in my game. I had a working knowledge of the blade, but knew I needed more.

I contacted him and he referred me to one of his students who was teaching in Kerrville Tx which was a little closer to me than Dallas... "Who was this long haired little killer"?

To be revealed later in the post...  :-*

That 1st day on the lawn of the national guard armory in Kerrville was my intro to Hock's material, and I have never looked back.

I play with other material to help flesh out my game, but for the most part I just train the level 1 - 10 knife material.

I still work the knife material he has shared over the years in our evolution from Presas style Arnis to Combat Arnis to Filipino Combatives to the PAC.. Some really good stuff in there, and I can't let it go. 

The last time Hock was down I showed him those old rank reference sheets we had back when he was teaching Arnis prior to Combat arnis. ( Pre- manual days ).... Good stuff... The panananstas drills, the lethal and non-lethal scenarios... The 6 reverse grip slash and stab drills that turned into the "Alley Cat" drills....

Unless you want to become a blade ballerina, you don't have to go any further than the 10 level knife course. But the beauty of it all is... Hock doesn't mind if you go play around in other playgrounds.. He shows you the material, but doesn't bind you to it. He let's it be the skeleton, and allows you to flesh out your training.

Go find some good stuff, and share it with him next time you see him.. If it is good he will tell you, and if it sucks he will tell you too....:D

He has probably the best B.S. filter in regards to martial arts material out there. And he is willing to let you know what he thinks. So just ask him..  ;)

What began as a search for knife material led to training in all areas of the SFC.... Hock is a major influence on how I train and teach today.

So that's it for my little plug. Big thanks to Hock, my blood brother Dan Lewis, and all the other Dallas guys... Professor, Arnold, Rawhide, Red 5, for giving us a place to call home.

Dean

« Last Edit: October 11, 2007, 08:59:09 AM by usks1 »
" I see people doing all kinds of crazy stuff.. Eatin razor blades and sh--t.. But I wanna know.. Can he fight?? "

Moses Powell ( RIP ) - The warrior within

Kentbob

• JOAT
  • Level 4
  • Sound the horn and call the cry
    • Antrim Self-Protection
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2007, 09:11:39 AM »

Hey, I remember Dan, he was at that military knife seminar last year.  Good guy.

Kent
"Specialization is for insects."-Robert A. Heinlein

http://antrimmasp.blogspot.com/

Dawg

• Level 4
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2007, 09:31:50 AM »

I'd like to jump on this little bandwagon:

Thanks for being a coach instead of a dictator.
Thanks for just being "Hock" and not "Grandmaster to-end-all-and-be-all Hockmeister".
Thanks for all the encouragement and constructive criticism.
Thanks for just wanting to make a living, not a killing, with your material.
It's been a great first year in the SFC for me and I'm looking forward to many more.
Thanks!

|||||||
"On the "make-a-killing thing...I am after-all...retired..."
                                                                                 Hock

« Last Edit: October 11, 2007, 10:11:00 AM by Hock »
"Whether you're paranoid or not, they're coming for you."  - Dawg

Hock

• Administrator
  • Level 4
    • www.HocksCQC.com
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2007, 10:12:54 AM »

Hey, I remember Dan, he was at that military knife seminar last year.  Good guy.
Kent

Actually, ol' Dan was not there at that one. He is only now popping back in to train with Dean every now and then.

Hock

edited later....YES it was that Dan! Sorry I thought Kentbob ws refering to DAN LEWIS...that Dean mentioned.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2007, 03:32:10 PM by Hock »

Dawg

• Level 4
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2007, 10:21:59 AM »

Wasn't he the one who won the "Royal Rumble with Knives" at the Unarmed Against the Knife Seminar in Dallas last December? I thought he was a great guy...even though he killed me  :'( !
"Whether you're paranoid or not, they're coming for you."  - Dawg

grlaun

• Rawhide
  • Level 4
  • Jeff 'Rawhide' Laun
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2007, 02:21:55 PM »

Sorry, I'm going to add my shameless plug.  I was reeling from the Grandmaster Poobah Syndrome - AKA martial arts master brainwashing when I phoned Hock.  I was sitting on my stairs laughing at at the comment "I'm just really a friendly drill instructor."  When I decided to give it a go - I'd earlier come across his flyer regarding arnis and desperately wanted to do it but couldn't find the time.  Finally I was able to break away and go to none other than Gold's Gym - wow!  Was that a life changer!  After learning the slap release (duh!) and how to smack someone in the face with their own stick while they're holding it I was HOOKED!  Of course then he moved to Lewisville to small gym closer to me and after two months he was off to friggin' Georgia!! Oh well, at least I got a private lesson with Professor and I think I hosted him in 1999 at our old place.  the lesson with the Prof was an eye opener and a basic beating (which was wonderful!) but gave a taset of what was to come.  Over the last (geez!) 8 years I've met like minded insane people who just want to train and get better and make better people who can kick a**... 

Thanks, Hock,  not only for the unrivaled and magnificent training but the network you've set up for us all.  Its completely priceless and no words can fully describe the gratefulness I have for the SFC!

Rawhide

Cheat in Beginning - Cheat in the Middle - Cheat in the End
Official Evil Ninja - 2008
Texas Peace Officer 8/2009
"You're making the wrong assumption that a Marine by himself is outnumbered"
Gen Peter Pace, 28Jul06
"You tell that muthaf**ka, he owes me money!"

usks1

• Level 4
  • Don't tell me.. show me..
    • U.S. Karate
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2007, 03:44:55 PM »

Thanks, Hock,  not only for the unrivaled and magnificent training but the network you've set up for us all.  Its completely priceless and no words can fully describe the gratefulness I have for the SFC!

Rawhide

Gotta agree with you Rawhide.. Met many good friends and made some great alliances over the years in the SFC... Here's to many more good years to come.

For you guys who know him.. Dan Lewis says hi. He comes over to the school most Saturdays now and we get in some good training sessions.

But you would not recognize him at first glance... The hair to the middle of the back and the ponytail is a thing of the past. He now is a shiny bald fella.

He has traded in his ponytail for a good corporate job. He still drives a little blue S10, but it is a 2007 and loaded... He is doing really well.

Take care

Dean
" I see people doing all kinds of crazy stuff.. Eatin razor blades and sh--t.. But I wanna know.. Can he fight?? "

Moses Powell ( RIP ) - The warrior within

Wouter

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2007, 11:40:13 AM »

OK, here's a new guy in town....

We recently met Hock at the Belgium seminar this year. A little time earlier we met Keith Ploeffe as our SFC instructor in Belgium/ Germany. Since then we adapted all off the SFC material. The material is great and the man behind all this is, in my eyes, one of the best teachers/ instructors in the world. A few weeks ago, at the frankfurt seminar, me and my friend became basic instructor in knife combatives module. Hock, thanks for that one...We will bring the SFC in our school in the Netherlands and maybe some day, if we are successfully, you are to!

See you all in December at the next Belgium seminar. Hosted by Chris Snoeck, my teacher and friend.

Greetz Wouter

Hock

• Administrator
  • Level 4
    • www.HocksCQC.com
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2007, 12:56:41 PM »

Thanks!
I mean to get you guys listed on the instructor page, BUT I cannot read the letters of your email address. An "h" and "u" ? Things like that. Can you email me both emails!
I guess I can use this the email attached to this entry.

Hock.Hochheim@sbcglobal.net

Hock

(These guys have worked with Keith and Chris Snoeck for years. Very talented guys.)

sifu007

• Forum Member
    • elite combatives europe
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2007, 01:30:31 AM »

Snoeck Chris here from Belgium with some words. Of course likwise in what the other people already mentioned. Hock is by far one of the best instructors in the world. I am glad to host him for the 2e time later this year in Belgium. Also thanks to my students from the Netherlands who support all events. I hope to see some of the other European guys in December here in Belgium. Greetings

Download