W. Hock Hochheim's

Combat Centric

Talk Forum for Military, Police, Martial Artists and Aware Citizenry

Hock Hochheim's Combat Talk Forum

• January 21, 2018, 04:07:48 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Forgive me if this has been done before...  (Read 2747 times)

Robert Robbins

• Level 1
Forgive me if this has been done before...
« on: January 15, 2008, 07:48:50 PM »

I'm interested in "indestructable sticks". I read mixed reviews about Cold Steel products,
I love the rattan but am tired of constantly replacing them.  Has anyone used Jeff Finders (stickman's)  polypropelene sticks?

Thanks,
Rob
"You may not be intersted in war, but war is interested in you."

Leon Trotsky

Milldog1776

Re: Forgive me if this has been done before...
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2008, 07:59:05 PM »

Well...the problem I have with these "indestructable" sticks is that if your partner is not using them, you'll destroy his sticks. That makes you a dick.

Hock

• Administrator
  • Level 4
    • www.HocksCQC.com
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2008, 10:14:47 PM »

If you all plan on using them? I think they are fine.
I have handled them and I like the feel of them. I think they look pretty cool too.

Hock

mickt

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2008, 09:32:29 AM »

I thought about ordering those cold steel sticks, aren't they to thick at 1".  The length is 36" has anyone cut them down.  I also heard that white wax wood is pretty durable.

MickT

Robert Robbins

• Level 1
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2008, 12:31:04 PM »

How about the "Durarattan sticks?" Is there a  website that does product reviews of products like these?

Thanks,

Rob " I'm a dick, but I'm a big dick" Robbins
sorry Hock, edit away.

Leon Trotsky

kamagong

• Level 3
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2008, 12:34:23 PM »

Hey guys!  I have a Cold Steel stick.  Yes, it is nice, it is flexible and gives a similar action like rattan when you hit, but your buddy has to have one too.  If the entire class has em they are great.  But, they are heavy and not quite as forgiving on knuckles as rattan, which is bad enough.  I DON'T recommend white waxwood.  They are okay, but, like all wood, breaks at a point. Bad Stuff, since you can poke or cut your buddy, plus when the end flies off, can go in someones face.  Saw a waxwood staff do that once at a demo, broke and flew into the crowd.  Yes, using wood or indestructible sticks against rattan DOES make you a Dick!  LOL!!  That is why when I go to a seminar or a student goes, I always tell em to take at least one wooden stick.  There will inevitably be someone there using em.

The best Rattan sticks I have used have come from Bloodsport.com.  They hold up well and you can get them custom lengths and widths.  I like 30 inch long stick 7/8 inch diameter.  I started in Lameco, so it fits a lot of those movements well.  But, the Cold Steel sticks are a worthwhile investment.  You won't have to replace em for a couple of years probably.
A life lived without a few scars is a wasted life.

Robert Robbins

• Level 1
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2008, 06:09:30 PM »

Nick's Bloodsport.com  rattan sticks are the best I've used (he's also got some great T-shirts).  I'm leaning towards Jeff Finders sticks unless I hear otherwise.  We are all moving beyond FMA and into Baton combatives type orientation and I don't see a reason to continue to use the rattan when we are all thinking more along the lines of a baton.

Leon Trotsky

Joe Hubbard

• London, England
  • Level 4
  • Transforming the Esoteric with the Exoteric!
    • www.functionalfighting.com
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2008, 08:37:05 AM »

I have a pair of Finder's HITS.  They are real god and impossible to break, but guess the news- I just don't like using them!  They are too synthetic and feel...well they feel like plastic sticks. 

For all my stick training I use Nick P's rattan sticks; they are the best IMO.  If you want to train with a training expandable baton, check out Century products as they do a nice one just for training.  Ray Dianaldo turned me on to these and they are cool.

Out

Joe

PS  I forgot to add that I love the smell of burning rattan!
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.  There's also a negative side"

Hunter S. Thompson

www.joehubbardstreetsurvival.com

Visit My Blog: http://joehubbard.wordpress.com

Download