W. Hock Hochheim's

Combat Centric

Talk Forum for Military, Police, Martial Artists and Aware Citizenry

Hock Hochheim's Combat Talk Forum

• July 18, 2018, 02:40:45 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Knife Culture in London- A Trendy Fashion  (Read 2109 times)

Joe Hubbard

• London, England
  • Level 4
  • Transforming the Esoteric with the Exoteric!
    • www.functionalfighting.com
Knife Culture in London- A Trendy Fashion
« on: January 27, 2005, 10:15:22 PM »

London Metropolitan Police commissioner Sir John Stevens warned today that knife culture in London is one of the worst crime problems and continues to rise daily.  It is becoming increasingly “trendy” for teenagers to carry locking folding knives that are easily concealed on the street. 

Statistics reveal an eighteen percent increase in knife crime since last year.  Knives were used in 6,600 crimes in London between 2003 to 2004.  Teenagers carried out over 80 percent of these violent crimes.

In the news today police are hunting for a knife-wielding maniac who randomly stabbed five people in Strathclyde.  A month ago a man was stabbed to death on his front doorstep in the salubrious area of Chelsea.  Prior to that another crazed knife attacker stabbed multiple victims in North London.

No longer are these incidents restricted to just the bad part of town.  They can happen anywhere, anytime and to anybody.  Train hard, stay safe and be aware of your surroundings wherever you are.  Remember fortune favours the prepared!

Cheers

Joe   
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.  There's also a negative side"

Hunter S. Thompson

www.joehubbardstreetsurvival.com

Visit My Blog: http://joehubbard.wordpress.com

johnk9

• Forum Member
Re: Knife Culture in London- A Trendy Fashion
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2005, 12:04:57 AM »

8)Hi Joe, this is my first reply and I'm happy to be here.
I live in Brighton, UK and I participated at Hock's very first seminar in London in 2002.
Anyway, now on the subject.You're absolutely right about that and will only get worse as time goes by.What can we do? What can the police do?I think that police officers here should be allowed to carry guns like they do in all other European countries and US.
I believe,that the gun is a good deterrent and a strong psychological factor against a criminal.It makes you give it a second thought before you proceed with any criminal activity.
Also, the current legislation doesn't help civilians defend themselves using any means necessary since they might find themselves in an awkward situation with a lawsuit against them in court, for damages.
can you beleive that? you're a victim and on top of that and you've been sued for assault.
It's so IRONIC!!

Joe Hubbard

• London, England
  • Level 4
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2005, 01:00:51 AM »

Hi John

Welcome!  I remember you- where have you been?  Hock returns to the UK in April.  Friday April 22 we are holding a Knife Instructor’s Workshop.  Perhaps you would be interested in this? 

I agree that more people should be educated in the UK in relation to their rights in such matters.  You need to go buy a book on criminal law in the UK and study all the ins and outs.  You have more rights than you think in these situations, but like most things perception is everything.  This is why we cover the pre-contact/contact/post contact phases of any violent confrontation.  The post contact phase deals with what you say and how you behave when the police show up.  I held a seminar in London that dealt largely with this issue and an “in-the-trenches” cop and a French Foreign Legion soldier both commented on how they thought the material I presented was the “best they had ever heard” on this subject.  I was only passing down what Hock has passed down to me. 

Come and see me soon!

Cheers

Joe
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.  There's also a negative side"

Hunter S. Thompson

silverfox_y2k

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2005, 07:53:44 AM »

Hi Joe! Its also my first post here and after lurking for awhile I thought I would finally post. I met you at the first Shredder seminar last Feb, and I also use to work in Workout world.
Your absolutely right about this sub-culture in London, when I was in Highschool (around 1997/98) everyone was into all sorts of funky looking knives, but the only thing that made veryone think twice was the fact that many police officers would likely to do a stop and search on you. Unfortunately, now though it seems that stopping and searching individuals is not as common as it once was, so this inables a greater number of people to be carrying knives. My friend who is a police man said that since the Steven Lawrence case in London, police are more wary (sp?) about stopping and searching people because more often than not people play the "race" card, furthermore it requires lots of paper work to be done.

Things in London dont seem to be getting any better, you just need to read the newspaper and there is always a new story about someone getting stabbed. I just cant see societ getting any better.

Have you got another knife seminar coming up soon? Unfortunately I couldnt make it to your last one, but hopefully can make you future seminars...do you have dates in adavnce for your seminars, so I can book time off work.

Regards

Mark G

Joe Hubbard

• London, England
  • Level 4
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2005, 10:48:11 AM »

Hi Mark

Nice to hear from you mate!  Welcome to the forum.  The next seminar I am doing is in March on “Survival Ground Fighting”, but Hock is here in April 23 & 24 for “The Worst Case Scenario” seminar.  You have got to make that one.  Also on the Friday we are doing a Knife Instructor’s Course.  Details are going up on my website next week, so stay tuned.  You can always give me a call to find out what’s happening.

Take care

Joe

Hunter S. Thompson

Download