W. Hock Hochheim's

Combat Centric

Talk Forum for Military, Police, Martial Artists and Aware Citizenry

Hock Hochheim's Combat Talk Forum

• January 19, 2018, 07:20:47 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: elbow destruction or destroyed elbow  (Read 4212 times)

Bryant

• Kung Fu Genius
  • Level 3
  • To win in an instant is a superior achievement
    • moy yat ving tsun kung fu
elbow destruction or destroyed elbow
« on: January 30, 2008, 03:13:33 PM »

In viewing some of Marc Hallecks material and also some Paul Vunak
I have been introduced to the concept of "Elbow Destruntions", guiding your opponents
incoming fist into your bent elbow. This seems like a risky tactic to me , has anyone out there had any success with it?
Proverbs 27:17 - Proverbs 24:3-4

Jason

• Forum Member
Re: elbow destruction or destroyed elbow
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2008, 05:54:03 PM »

In theory it should be a great technique. My group has trained this technique from just slow drills up to probably about 70 percent contact (with boxing gloves on the attacker). The problem that we found is the same with a lot of techniques. Works good if the attacker is unskilled, or a traditional martial artist. Against a boxer who throws fast punches ( and retracts the punches fast as well ), you can't execute the defense before the punch lands many times. That, and it takes decent coordination on the part of the defender to properly block the attack. I've never attempted to try it in an actual street defense, as I believe that it's just too risky, as it leaves you exposed in many other areas, and it blocks your vision to some extent.

Jason

Jason

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2008, 08:01:20 PM »

Yes, I like it much more as a defensive tactic when your on your back on the ground as you absolutely know that the hand technique is going to be coming down towards your face.

Jason

Joe Hubbard

• London, England
  • Level 4
  • Transforming the Esoteric with the Exoteric!
    • www.functionalfighting.com
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2008, 07:25:38 AM »

This is one of my "bread & butter" moves.  With that said, I have practiced this for years in order to be consistant with it.  It doesn't work with hooks, but is great for straight lefts or rights.  I have honed this skill and can apply it against skilled boxers; the trick is in the range manipulation, if you try to do this in "boxing" range it simply won't work.

Out

Joe
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.  There's also a negative side"

Hunter S. Thompson

www.joehubbardstreetsurvival.com

Visit My Blog: http://joehubbard.wordpress.com

Ashblaster

• Level 1
  • No Heaven. No Hell. Just Science.
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2008, 06:13:20 PM »

The guy is punching at your face. If you just put your elbow up in the general direction of his incoming fist, it is possible he will punch your elbow. It is not like you have catch a speeding bullet. This happens sometimes just by acident

Back before I had any real training in Filipino styles I would instinctively do this during sparring in Krav Maga, the Krav instructor never actually taught me to do it, but I found it would just naturally happen, especially if I over-parried and the opponent was a faster puncher then me.

It's nice to see drills on Marc's dvd's that train this skill. I have to say, the first three dvd's in Marc's course (what he refers to as the "beginner" portion on the third dvd) are fantastic. I find the material to be very useable in free sparring after only a couple weeks of training, I may not always look "pretty" doing the moves but that will come with time and isn't really the reason I train anyway. The key is the way Marc teaches the material, he isn't just asking you to mimic his technique, he is trying to instill the principles behind the technique, and I think that's why it's been so easy for myself and my training partners to use the material in sparring and scenario training.
The empires of the future are the empires of the mind.

Kaliman33

• Level 2
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2008, 01:03:43 PM »

Hey Guys,
At my academy we will periodicly put on the gloves and spar with only elbow destructions.
I have to say they work alot of the time, especially the vertical elbow because you just raise it up in the path.
I also insert elbow destructions in my vertical punch hubud drills. If you practice them you will land them often. And yes, they still hurt through gloves.
Put on thai shin guards and do elbow destructions on kicks! that hurts like hell.

I am glad you are enjoying the DVD's. I am in the process of working on level 10. which will focus on clinch and hubud range. Also building on the kali weapons DVD's.

I will be hosting a seminar with myself and nick hughes to take place in March. We will each teach during the day. keep a look out and let me know what you think

Marc Halleck

Bryant

• Kung Fu Genius
  • Level 3
  • To win in an instant is a superior achievement
    • moy yat ving tsun kung fu
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2008, 05:20:28 PM »

Marc I am definitely enjoying your dvds
I have a group a guys studying them along with me
we plan on covering one level per month
Proverbs 27:17 - Proverbs 24:3-4