Combat Centric

Talk Forum for Military, Police, Martial Artists and Aware Citizenry

Hock Hochheim's Combat Talk Forum

• July 21, 2018, 07:44:18 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Quick KOs  (Read 7820 times)

whitewolf

• Level 4
Re: Quick KOs
« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2008, 10:47:50 PM »

Good MorningDawg-it took quite awhile to be able to send a reply as the region here is still expering inernet problems-anyhow-that response seems good-sense i dont have a partner ill try it with my punching bag-i do have a couple questins-1-when you practise is the attacker standing still in  front of the victim or is the attacker moving towards  him-
2-is the response basically the same when the attacker is movong towards you and then when about 5-6 feet away  he charges at you-
3-do you think the average victim would just throw  his hands up towards his own  face and try to  block and then get slashed whle attacker  moves in?
I try to dissect responses and see how i can over come them as a atttacker that way i can better understand  and respond-comments- and stay  safe-whitewolf..

Dawg

• Level 4
« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2008, 06:36:36 AM »

Good questions! I'll try to provide some decent answers.
1) From the scenario you described, the attacker is already in close range to use the reverse grip slash in a powerful upward motion from your 6-8 o'clock point of view.
2) For me, the answer would be "No". If someone charges me from that distance, I'm changing angles and would use techniques such as those in Hock's "Chain of the Knife" or others that would enable me to capture the weapon bearing limb rather than just blocking the initial strike.
3) Actually, no. If the attacker's initial attack comes from the lower clock angles, the intended victim should instinctively move his arms toward the incoming threat or try to move his entire body away from the threat (key word being should!).
Just to let you know; used your scenario in two different classes last night. Consistently impaled attacker with his own knife when attack came straight up from 6 o'clock.
Diagonal attacks from 7 and 8 o'clock didn't result in impalement's, but rear arm bar hammerlock was easily utilized to set up takedown and finish.
Hope this helps!
"Whether you're paranoid or not, they're coming for you."  - Dawg

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2008, 12:08:21 PM »

Dawg-thanks -good info-what i am doing now is reading newspapers in the crime sections and any crime that has to  do  with a knife as a weapon i look to see if it is mentioned  on the set up for the attack and the actual attack-as that is the weapon of  choice in this  area-hopefully the internet is about 100% so i can stay in touch with forum more-stay  safe-whitewolf

oz man

• Level 2
« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2008, 05:43:03 AM »

"EVEN THE BEST LAID PLANS DON'T SURVIVE FIRST CONTACT WITH THE ENEMY"
Put as many tricks up your sleeve as you can and have the muscle memory to throw em out. Sometimes they work and sometimes they don't, try and have something else up your sleeve when the time comes. thats the reality boys, black and white.

Dawg

• Level 4
« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2008, 10:04:06 PM »

oz man,
Change that to:
"Even the best laid plans don't always survive first contact with the enemy" and I'd agree with you.
I also agree with having as many tools in your little (or gigantic) combat toolbox as possible.
Reality, however, in this context or any other, is seldom black and white.

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2008, 06:28:58 AM »

Dawg-see my post on every art has a weakness-thoughts please=whitewolf

Dawg

• Level 4
« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2008, 01:44:07 PM »

Good stuff!