W. Hock Hochheim's

Combat Centric

Talk Forum for Military, Police, Martial Artists and Aware Citizenry

Hock Hochheim's Combat Talk Forum

• September 19, 2018, 06:29:44 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Not Impressed Scott Sonnon  (Read 12504 times)

mleone

• Level 4
Not Impressed Scott Sonnon
« on: January 22, 2008, 07:32:17 AM »

I Just got through watching the grapplers toolbox that a friend loaned me.
While I think the exercises were functional but yet very unorthodox.

I couldnt stand to listen to this annoying "new wave explanation". It really derailed me from wanting to watch it in completion. Some how he was trying to sound more tech with his made up vocabulary. I have patients incredibly, but honestly. It some how annoyed me. Scott Sonnons explanation was not about making it easy and understandable. It was about chunking it up and making it more complex than it really is.

So I had to look at the excersizes and actually turn the audio off. I watched the footage then listen to what the goal of the excersize was intended to strengthen. Then turn off the audio. Dont we live in a world where instructionals were designed to make thing easier? Were we some how break down the difficult? Rather than chunk things up and make it sound more complex and scarier than it really is?

Ill tell you, I found it one word. Annoying....
Sorry Just needed to vent..

Honestly it was annoying...

He was not easy to follow and his "tech" made up vocabulary made it real hard to follow.
When I take interest in martial arts, it often has my undivided attention. This just totally annoyed me.

Makes me want to team up with Mccaan and do a (ground fighting drills) dvd that would make it easy as hell for people.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2008, 08:10:20 AM by mleone »

juszczec

• Level 3
Re: Not Impressed Scott Sonnon
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2008, 08:53:40 AM »

Some how he was trying to sound more tech with his made up vocabulary. I have patients incredibly, but honestly.

I've only had experience with Sonnon's exercise material  (which I like BTW), and I agree.  IMNSHO, his writing is worse.

Scott Sonnons explanation was not about making it easy and understandable. It was about chunking it up and making it more complex than it really is.

I think this is a marketing strategy.  I see it in IT all the time.

People would be utterly amazed at how dead simple some IT concepts are.  They'd also be amazed by the amount of $$$$ paid to other people to translate these concepts into English.

Makes me want to team up with Mccaan and do a (ground fighting drills) dvd that would make it easy as hell for people.

Heck, the whole MA industry needs to be made simpler.  This stuff is not THAT difficult.

Mark

mleone

• Level 4
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2008, 02:19:35 PM »

Mccaan and i and you. Believe in a Logical Progression.
I feel things should be taught in that manner. It makes sense and its outlined.
It allows people to push their envelope.
One thing Mccaan has  taught was always have an outline. I agree with this.

I just can not bear to wade  through "new wave" nonsense  In order to get to the meat and potatoes. Then you find out later on after the dvd. That the potatoes and meat wasnt really anything special.

It reminds of those anal retentive instructors who need to be wowed by complexity.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2008, 02:21:17 PM by mleone »

Milldog1776

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2008, 03:03:22 PM »

The shortest distance between two points is a straight line. Convoluted, esoteric ways to get from point A to B only to achieve the same results is...well...convoluted and esoteric. ;D

Some of these guys I see out there should be out on a street corner with a 3 card Monty game.

Bryan Lee

• Level 4
  • Rogue Elephant
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2008, 01:52:47 AM »

Sonnon, The guy who invented the Saddle and #1 Bullshito advertiser, the guy who gets his threads closed on Bullshito because he gives them money, that guy, Neal Fletcher and Scott must Sauna together from the way they protect him and his bullshit over there.

Heres what some Sambo people have to say after Sonnon tries to Bullshit them, A very good group of guys with the exception of Tom Kagan who is a member there but also a Bullshito Mod who does not know how to read, research, or digest facts and prefers fantasies where little Oriental men beat the hell out of Vikings because they have Chi which is far superior to size and pure violence.

This thread starts off nice with one of Scott's advertisements but goes 30 pages and is by far the most in depth information ever presented about Sonnon anywhere on the net.

http://www.worldwidegrappling.com/grappling/html/modules/vB/showthread.php?t=1435&page=1&pp=10
JimH, "Bryan, have you seen the Elephant?"  Bryan Lee, "I Am The MotherFFFFing Elephant!"

Bryan Lee

• Level 4
  • Rogue Elephant
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2008, 12:23:02 AM »

Actually, THAT is pretty interesting to read. One account called Scott out right to the point...

"What has stirred up the pot in the minds of many people is your ego. Your embellishment, bravado, chest pounding, spinning, and marketing which at time borders on outright lying. You have built such a grand picture of yourself. Anytime people hype themselves up to the dergee that you do, questions will be asked and inquiries will be made about the validity of such claims. We have seen this with you time and time again with each new group you affiliate or dis-affiliate with...and each new "revolutionary" move you make or product you "create". There is a reason there are so many critical threads and inquiries about you. There is a message in there for you but you clearly don't see it."

...other insiders challenge his ranks and coaching claims, etc...but after this entry on page 6 or so? Scott Sonnon then disappears from the forum forever as others smartly discuss the same subject for another 20 pages or so!

So many questions like, "exacty what world Sambo championship did you win?" and dozens of other really good questions and comments remain....unanswered. Not even a windbag answer?

Hock

As soon as anyone asked him relevant questions he "tendered his resignation" to the American Sambo Association aka tucked his tail between his legs and ran for cover. He has not been banned off the grappling forum, he just chose to leave and quickly. If you read through the thread you will see where Scott banned people off his and other websites, has screwed around with Wikipedia, and a few months ago he was running all over the net claiming he was a Doctor because he took some internet classes and got some kind of certificate. The man is athletic as all get out but he is no ass kicker, most of his coaching that is advertised as MMA coaching is actually where he was called in as a nutritionist, not asked to teach fighting. I think the man is a little confused, it seems he is another self promoter who everytime he masturbates, gets on the internet and tells everyone he got laid, not the same.

Nobody has ever came forward and said "Scott Sonnon beat the hell out of me!" I don't think they ever will either. The reality is being a skinny guy and grappling a sumo wrestler does not play out well on the street, alternative strategies, less technical, more violent, is much preferred over what he has to offer as a instructor. From what I know he would make a great high school wrestling coach but again, thats not the same as his claims, he now has no involvement in Sambo nor do any of his students currently compete in Sambo. His involvement is related to selling videos he refers to as "Sambo For MMA" which does not make any sense to me and has pissed off many of the people who are practicing Sambo and fighting in all categories including Combat Sambo and American Freestyle Sambo.

Disclaimer, I suck at Sambo, I'm enthusiastic about it but not qualified as a instructor nor make any claims to be. Do not buy any of my Sambo DVDs till further notice.
JimH, "Bryan, have you seen the Elephant?"  Bryan Lee, "I Am The MotherFFFFing Elephant!"

nightronin

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2008, 11:37:33 AM »

hello,

When i first heard of scott sonnon i read what i could on him. I found out what most have that he had some background in russian martial arts and sambo. Some of what i had seen video wise was ok but the movements seem different from what i had seen from everything else that is out there.

After reading some of the articles on his site i found myself a bit perplexed ???. At times i thought to myself what is this person saying. I see that he defitnely has his own language that seems to leave me lagging than making valid points.

It seems people now are very much questioning his background since some of it is sketchy and stretched. I forget who said it or on what forum that sonnon gets a bit too philosphical trying too hard to be the newest thing on the block.

sonnon has some talent......but it is wrapped up in alot of uncessary hype.
The answers are not in a system, but in you.

Bryan Lee

• Level 4
  • Rogue Elephant
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2008, 08:46:47 PM »

hello,

When i first heard of scott sonnon i read what i could on him. I found out what most have that he had some background in russian martial arts and sambo. Some of what i had seen video wise was ok but the movements seem different from what i had seen from everything else that is out there.

After reading some of the articles on his site i found myself a bit perplexed ???. At times i thought to myself what is this person saying. I see that he defitnely has his own language that seems to leave me lagging than making valid points.

It seems people now are very much questioning his background since some of it is sketchy and stretched. I forget who said it or on what forum that sonnon gets a bit too philosphical trying too hard to be the newest thing on the block.

sonnon has some talent......but it is wrapped up in alot of uncessary hype.

If your remotely interested in Sambo and speak English you should check out the Worldwidegrappling.com website forum. It is by a long mile the best Sambo forum on the web and has Judo and every other style of grappling there too. It is very straight forward and no BS.

Heres a little background, I am a member of the Bullshido forum but I do not bother posting there anymore for many reasons. Scott Sonnon paid for a pretty expensive advertisement on the Bullshido forum marketing his new vocabulary Sambo as "Sambo For MMA" as I suppose he has never heard of Fedor Emelianenko, it seems he would be the best choice as a subject matter expert on that, not a skinny yoga guru with a hyped up fight record. So he paid for the ad then tried to use the WWG forum for free advertisement which would be fine but he was caught red handed trying to Bullshit real Sambo people, not internet teens, and he ran off crying more or less.

I made a post on the Bullshido "Investigation" forum which pointed out the hypocrisy of having a "No BS Martial Arts" website that took money and advertised a "BS Martial Artist" like Sonnon the "Flow Coach." That thread was eventually closed after Sonnon was allowed to make some responses to his defense. Tom Kagan a moderator on the Bullshido forum has been busy trying to edit the thread up or whatever it is they are doing , in the end I think Tom Kagan and Neal Fletcher are bullshit artists themselves, there has never been any real investigative work completed over there and anyone who scratches the surface checking it out will see that. Yea they got up in the face of a couple people and started some big deal with Ashida Kim but trying to sort out who is and who ain't real Taekwando is borderline insanity.

VicMackey

• Level 4
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2009, 01:49:24 PM »

One time I asked him how is his Russian Martial Art different from Vladimir Vasiliev's as well as how did he got into Systema. He got real upset about it and I got hammered by his followers at some website long ago that no longer existed. Any martial artist that get upset by some questions is very questionable at best to say the least. Again, not knocking his abilities and talent.
"Fail to prepare, prepare to fail."
"A citizen is armed and free while a subject is disarmed and under control."
"An armed society is a polite society."
"Keep your friends close and your enemies closer"-Sun Tzu
"Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth"-Mike Tyson

Download