Combat Centric

Talk Forum for Military, Police, Martial Artists and Aware Citizenry

Hock Hochheim's Combat Talk Forum

• April 22, 2018, 04:27:45 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: women's self defense  (Read 11753 times)

whitewolf

• Level 4
Re: women's self defense
« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2008, 08:49:08 AM »

Ghost Rider-here is another sanario-this gets a little more envolved and you  have to be careful= ask the students (take 2 if a female-dont go  alone)-see if they would like to take a ride in the crowded pat of the city/town that is not upscale-see if while you are driving they  can pick out problem people walking/areas to stay  away  from/groups of people who could cause a problem-show them how not to pull up right behind a car at a light/how to  look for exits to get around a car if need be/how to look a  block ahead and see if their is dangerous situation i.e. drunk in the road/sidewalk/homeless pan handling/
etc etc-i know this might sound like its a little over the edge but thats what happens in a moments notice-one second all is  ok and the next one is in the middle of it..I got this type training by working in 3  big cities as a security officer and getting tips from the guys who  had been there and done that (PO,s)
I personaly feel that the other part of studying and instructing martial arts is the part of the mental aspect (what  the  professionals here are always  talking and preaching)
I have seen the self defense student forget everything when we work on real attacks-even if we do it at half speed it takes a great deal of focus on their part which comes as they practise more and more-(me too-everyone learns as they go)
thanks for listening-i guess i  go on and on too much but what the hell-semper fi-whitewolf

bk

• Forum Member
    • Total Defense
« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2008, 02:09:27 PM »

Hi,

I have not read this entire thread, so forgive me if this has already been stated:

Training women to protect themselves should be no different than training men.

To learn personal protection skills one must train it several times a week for a long, long time. For some reason "women self-defense" has been packaged into clinics and seminars...these just don't work in the long run. Women need to train with men, larger opponents...etc.

Seminars and clinics are fine... to learn supplemental skills and knowledge but if you are offering "women self-defense classes"...then the training should be the same as if you were offering "men self-defense classes".

personal protection is about escape

personal protection is NOT ABOUT Duking it out. Meaning... fighting back
YES...but "sparring back and forth"...NO same the sparring for training and tournaments.

personal protection is prevention.

Personal protection means to stop the violence NOW! for both men and women.

But all the skills should be practice with progressive resistance...all ranges...using weapons...psychology...and running a fast 200 meters.

Good personal protection programs train Reality Based MMA...prevention, avoidance, striking, clinch, takedowns, ground, weapons...ETC.

Thanks and Hock's DVD's rule!
Brenda

Dawg

• Level 4
« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2008, 08:35:48 PM »

Hi,

I have not read this entire thread, so forgive me if this has already been stated:

Training women to protect themselves should be no different than training men.

Thanks and Hock's DVD's rule!
Brenda

Yep, it's already been stated.
Yep, you're forgiven.
Yep, Hock's DVD's rule!

Welcome to the forum!
"Whether you're paranoid or not, they're coming for you."  - Dawg

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2008, 11:44:12 PM »

2 parter= ist  Dawg-looks like ill be comming around the 8th of May unless murphys law interviens=send me your e  mail and a phone number before May to =whitewolfmc9999@yahoo.com==hope i  can jump on the pile (dont squish me )-semper fi richard

2nd=another true story for training women (men too)=few years ago a lady pulled into a gas station and asked to  have car filled up-when she was done she got out and went to give the attendent the card-he went inside and called her to  come in to the office=she said  no and he said the card failed there is a problem=she goes inside and he says "dont look but a man crawled into your  back  seat and i am calling the police=but the criminal had jumped out and ran before they  came-the police caught the man and found out he was new member of a  gang and the initiation was to kidnap and kill a driver=
lessons learned=keep doors locked-be alert at all times-(thats about how story  went)

ghostrider

• Level 3
« Reply #34 on: March 28, 2008, 03:30:18 PM »

Thanks brenda,

I always like to get a woman's point of view in these matters. Since I started the question I have had some very good help from dawg, whitewolf, and a few others  who were kind enough to help me out. Also I like to have the women I teach give me their input and experiences, as well. This way it gives me the kinds of things to work from...Real life! All teaching and training is a laboratory as such so there is much work and experimenting all the time.

The only difference I can see (tell me if I am wrong) in the training of women from men is in the area of strength and possibly size. But I suppose it would all boil down to tailoring the training to fit the person, much as in the wearing of clothing...one size does not fit all. And its true that women must train with whom they will be defending against...another man. Applying skills and testing the psychological, as well as, the physical methods of striking will be done against men.

Training is in reality a lifetime endeavor. It must be worked into the mind and then the body. This takes years. But if you can get someone in thinking about things and changing that thinking, with a little bit of striking in, then you are helping them.

Personal self-protection is about Avoidence and escape, not fighting. In fighting I mean back alley brawling. Fighting is not "squaring off", and you said brenda, NOT ABOUT Duking it out. There has been a major mistake in the whole idea of self-defense that you should spar to build self defense skill. Its in the area of sparring. There is a major difference between self defense of your life and "sparring back and forth"

personal self-protection is prevention. Don't be there if you can prevent it. This needs to be in training for men too. We are not as invincible as we think we are!!! Just remember the next you think you have an "S" on your chest, someone out there has either Krytonite fists or a Krytonite knife.

You said it well Brenda.."all  skills should practice with progressive resistance...all ranges...using weapons...psychology...and running a fast 200 meters".

"Good personal protection programs train Reality Based MMA...prevention, avoidance, striking, clinch, takedowns, ground, weapons...ETC".

Thanks for your input....and please add anything else.
A people should not be afraid of their government, a government should be afraid of their people- V

bk

• Forum Member
    • Total Defense
« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2008, 06:36:28 PM »

Hi Ghostrider,

Well, the size and strength factor is always an issue for smaller folks. I am not that big so I have to work on the strength factor all the time...but I find timing and good technique ( and a positive attitude ) really help.

If given the right instruction even a small person improves their chances of escape. I think thats all most people want...along with an enjoyable journey in their training.

The way is in the training and training takes time. You cannot learn this stuff in a month or two. It takes dedication.

If a small person wants to get good at stand-up, clinch, weapons, ground...they have to train it. No excuses... be it man or woman.

Thanks for reading..gotta go do my combat conditioning  :)

Brenda

Hock

• Administrator
  • Level 4
    • www.HocksCQC.com
« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2008, 06:45:17 PM »

Saaayy, Howdy Brenda!
Good to hear from you again.
Sure wish we could see in CA this year some time!
(Oakland in the Summer and Sacramento in January!)

Hock

bk

• Forum Member
    • Total Defense
« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2008, 11:21:48 PM »

Hi Hock,

I plan on FINALLY seeing you this summer  :) I am really looking forward to workingwith you.

I have started a JKD group here in Foster City CA. Hope to add your CQC curriculum sometime after training with you this summer.

Here is my website. I am not good at web design but here it is.

www.TotalDefense4u.com

Take care,
BK

Hock

• Administrator
  • Level 4
    • www.HocksCQC.com
« Reply #38 on: March 30, 2008, 05:58:35 AM »

Very cool.

Hock

Bryant

• Kung Fu Genius
  • Level 3
  • To win in an instant is a superior achievement
    • moy yat ving tsun kung fu
« Reply #39 on: April 10, 2008, 10:46:32 AM »

I may have a female student interested in private instruction in self defense
She has no martial arts background at all, she may be more interested in getting in shape
than learning how to fight. Any advice how I might structure her lessons and
present the material, I have not had many female students.
Also how do you address possible liability/sexual harassment issues
as a male instructor teaching female students in a private setting
there is a necessity for physical contact, especially when
teaching how to deal with things on the ground.
Some people may be traumatized by previous experiences
that make teaching this material somewhat difficult

B.

Proverbs 27:17 - Proverbs 24:3-4

ghostrider

• Level 3
« Reply #40 on: April 12, 2008, 05:37:39 PM »

Help me out here everyone. I find that you have to be careful these days when doing any private lessons with a female. It leaves a door for uncertainty for you, as a male. One of the best ways to teach would be to have someone else with you in the room, perhaps as a "dummy" to teach the strikes and self defense on, then letting her do that. That way you as the instructor can point out things from a "third person point of view." It also gives you the opportunity to see how see responds to such situations and evaluate her on continuing training.
A people should not be afraid of their government, a government should be afraid of their people- V

Benjamin Liu

• Level 4
« Reply #41 on: April 13, 2008, 06:25:01 PM »

I've never taught women in private lessons, or really done private lessons (unless only one student showing up for class counts as a private lesson. :D ) I have worked as an assistant instructor for women's self-defense classes for three semesters, but that was 14 years ago.

I've been researching the subject lately, following a business model that says to read up on as much as you can on the subject you are working on.  Thanks to Amazon, I've been able to buy several used books on women's self-defense for very low prices.  I pretty much ignored everything before the 1990s.  Some books are good, some are bad, and all are cheap.  I did this to see what is currently taught (you need to know what others are teaching if you want to say you are doing somehting different.  Most martial artists I know are clueless about everything outside of their dojo.) whether good or bad, and maybe get some good insights or information I don't already know.

While not specifically on self-defense, one useful book I bought was "Coaching Women in the Martial Arts" by Jennifer Lawler.  I covers various issues typical women face in training, many of them things I never thought of, and others being common sense like having women pair up with men as much as possible since in real life they will most likely be attacked by a man.  While I wouldn't base any classes on this or any book, there are things I'd take into consideration in setting up a class.

Benjamin Liu

• Level 4
« Reply #42 on: April 13, 2008, 06:43:42 PM »

What I would do for private lessons if I offered them is to have semi-private lessons with 2-3 people.  IMO that would work better anyway since it would be cheaper for the students and they'd learn the material better since they'd have a training partner while the instructor can watch both of them.

It might also be a good idea to have policies against giving students rides to or from class.  It might sound obvious, but too many people do this, and there is the potential for serious liabilities.

While I think the semi-private lesson is the best bet, another option is to record all private classes.  One of my psychology teachers told the class that he tapes all his client sessions, mainly to have a record in case anyone accuses him of anything.  He was talking about 8mm, and today DVDs are much cheaper and take up far less space.  You can also offer copies for sale (or make them part of the package, that could be a good selling point) to the student to study at home, obviously only selling the student DVDs of her own lessons.

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #43 on: April 15, 2008, 05:20:15 AM »

BK=going through the posts i  saw your web site -excellent - whitewolf (el lobo blanco)

bk

• Forum Member
    • Total Defense
« Reply #44 on: April 15, 2008, 10:31:30 PM »

Hi Whitewolf,

Thanks. I struggle with the "artistic" side of webdesign...its always a learning experience. There is always a  balance between having way to much information and overwhelming the audience vs. not having enough info which turns out to be  boring.

I hope your training is going well,
BK
www.TotalDefense4u.com

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #45 on: April 15, 2008, 10:42:29 PM »

BK=thanks for the response-actually these past few years i  have visited some schols in europe and taken some classes from ausome instructors i.e. krav Maga/ Body guarding/discussions with a Greek SF friend=going back to Athens in May for some more training=stay safe Whitewolf (el lobo blanco)
Pages: 1 [2]

Download