W. Hock Hochheim's

Combat Centric

Talk Forum for Military, Police, Martial Artists and Aware Citizenry

Hock Hochheim's Combat Talk Forum

• January 18, 2018, 07:49:30 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: update on student I needed help with  (Read 2270 times)

juszczec

• Level 3
update on student I needed help with
« on: March 03, 2008, 09:16:34 AM »

Hi folks

Several months ago I posted about a student who underwent panic attacks when thrown into a ground fighting situation as a results of a previous assault.  I asked for help and advice here, got a bunch of good answers and want to give y'all an update.

I can't figure out how this person is wired mentally - I thought it would be a gradual progression and its been anything but gradual.  Its been more like sudden, unexpected leaps of improvement.  They'd have a good session and we'd both think its time to increase the intensity and then they'd wind up in the middle of a panic attack that left us both wondering why it happened.  Then, a week or 2 later, the same kind of training situation would arise and they'd have no problem whatsoever.

The best results we had were by sparring (the individual already has great skills standing up) and my telling them - "I'm going to work to get close and take you down.  Your job is to hit me and stop me or hit me and get back up"  If they wound up on the ground, I'd coach them as to how to get up and out.

Last week, I didn't run the training session we work on this because I was at Hock's Akron, Ohio seminar (which was an absolute blast).  The person who covered for me told me the individual I was working with started ground fighting volunteered to work with another person at the training session. 

This, IMNSHO, is a huge breakthru!  I don't know where it came from or how we got to it, but I don't understand my color tv either and that doesn't stop me from enjoying it  ;D

Anyway, now the individual is all about "How do I do this?"  "What do I do from here?"  "How do I make this happen?"

Curiously, the panic attack still happens - but it is much shorter in duration and (IIRC) they told me they recognize it for what it is, tell themselves it will be over soon and it ends.

Mark

Dawg

• Level 4
Re: update on student I needed help with
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2008, 11:37:20 AM »

Mark,
Congratulations are in order for both you and your student.

Congratulations to you for taking the time to help your student overcome a tremendous difficulty. Many instructors wouldn't have undertaken that challenge. I know it was time consuming, but I can tell from your post you gained a lot of knowledge and satisfaction from the experience.

Congratulations to your student for recognizing that he/she had a problem and decided to do whatever it took to resolve it, regardless of the effort required to do so (sometimes, there just aren't any shortcuts). Even if they continue to have problems with the panic attacks, learning to cope with this distraction while continuing to fight is a worthwhile achievement.

I've met some, supposedly, "fearless" people; I just wasn't as impressed with them as much as I've been impressed by those who have learned to overcome or suppress their fears and succeed at whatever endeavor they're undertaking.

BZ (Well done!) to you and your student; it's always great to read these success stories!
"Whether you're paranoid or not, they're coming for you."  - Dawg

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2008, 11:59:32 AM »

Mark  congradulations from me also-whitewolf

grlaun

• Rawhide
  • Level 4
  • Jeff 'Rawhide' Laun
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2008, 09:56:36 AM »

That is fantastic!  You've helped someone overcome something that may have taken decades or may have never happened - please bask in the glory of your success as will I - vicariously through you!

Congratulations, again.

Rawhide
Cheat in Beginning - Cheat in the Middle - Cheat in the End
Official Evil Ninja - 2008
Texas Peace Officer 8/2009
"You're making the wrong assumption that a Marine by himself is outnumbered"
Gen Peter Pace, 28Jul06
"You tell that muthaf**ka, he owes me money!"

arnold

• the king of cool
  • Level 4
  • oh that will get you killed
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2008, 01:53:55 PM »

Just think, you could have me as a student! Look at the pain I've put Rawhide thru!
I leave you idiots alone for 5 minutes and I come back and you're all dancing around like a bunch of Kansas City faggots
you're all a bunch of slack jawed faggots around here, this stuff will make you a sexual tyrannosaurus, just like me!

Milldog1776

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2008, 05:17:36 PM »

Just think, you could have me as a student! Look at the pain I've put Rawhide thru!

A chill just ran down my spine!

Dawg

• Level 4
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2008, 09:16:37 PM »

Every instructor's worst nightmare. Not too good for the insurance premiums either.
But, just think of all the snappy comebacks you'd learn! ::)
"Whether you're paranoid or not, they're coming for you."  - Dawg

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2008, 11:01:45 PM »

To add a  little  more-actually if she would like to she could accompany you if you give demos or seminars on self defense and tell her story-nothing like the real truth to assist in instructing=whitewolf

juszczec

• Level 3
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2008, 09:47:23 AM »

Hi folks

Thanks for the congratulations.  I'll pass them on.  The individual did the hard work themselves, though.  I provided ideas, equipment, technical know how and a warm body to abuse - they are the ones who faced down the scary stuff.

whitewolf - your idea about them demonstrating with me is a good one.  I'm not sure if they'd be comfortable telling the story of the attack etc to an audience, but we'll see if there's a way to make their comments anonymous.

arnold - if you want to travel to NE Ohio where I run my program, you are more than welcome.  The health club who's space I use pays the insurance so I'm not worried about having to take out any additional coverage.  The folks participating are a hardy lot and I don't have enough participants to turn people away

Besides - you can't have too many snappy comebacks. ;)

Mark

arnold

• the king of cool
  • Level 4
  • oh that will get you killed
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2008, 02:51:09 PM »

Exactly! I usually got sent to one side of the floor and all of the malcontents were sent along with me to branch out on our own and go where no man has gone before. Usually thru some kind of painful horrible situation. Then, for some dumb reason, I would let these people do this crap to me! What the hell was I thinking?!
But thanks for the invite. Hopefully someday, before I get any older or grayer, i'll make it up to your neck of the woods.
Stay safe
I leave you idiots alone for 5 minutes and I come back and you're all dancing around like a bunch of Kansas City faggots
you're all a bunch of slack jawed faggots around here, this stuff will make you a sexual tyrannosaurus, just like me!

grlaun

• Rawhide
  • Level 4
  • Jeff 'Rawhide' Laun
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2008, 02:59:52 PM »

Beware what you wish for...! :P
Cheat in Beginning - Cheat in the Middle - Cheat in the End
Official Evil Ninja - 2008
Texas Peace Officer 8/2009
"You're making the wrong assumption that a Marine by himself is outnumbered"
Gen Peter Pace, 28Jul06
"You tell that muthaf**ka, he owes me money!"

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2008, 07:16:01 PM »

Remember- the grass is always greener on the other side and then when you get there -they are using a big big lawn mower-whitewolf (el lobo blanco)

Download