W. Hock Hochheim's

Combat Centric

Talk Forum for Military, Police, Martial Artists and Aware Citizenry

Hock Hochheim's Combat Talk Forum

• September 24, 2018, 06:53:50 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Your opinion about fixed blade and their sheaths?  (Read 4664 times)

Blade

• Level 1
Your opinion about fixed blade and their sheaths?
« on: March 05, 2008, 02:52:48 AM »

Hi,

i would like to hear your opinion of  which fixed blades with their sheaths that are offered these days at the market are very good for quick draw?

bye

chfroehlich

• Level 2
Re: Your opinion about fixed blade and their sheaths?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2008, 05:35:35 AM »

Hey Blade,

sounds like you are located in Germany  ;D

Every Knife with a good Kydex-Sheat is suitable for quickdraw.
For those knives who don't come with a Kydex you can make one yourself or have one made.

Try Werner @ www.kytac.de

But be aware!!
Everyone tries to beat the system by looking for a new way to carry a Knife for Selfdefense legally.

It won't take long and even what is allowed after April, 1 will be forbidden because of more incidents with "still-legal" knifes

Don't try to beat the system, walk inside the boundaries.

Best to you

Christof
A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.

-- Sigmund Freud, General Introduction to Psychoanalysis

Blade

• Level 1
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2008, 06:41:03 AM »

;) Christof ...maybe i am from germany and maybe from somewhere else.

So you think the law in germany will forbidden some knives or long blades(fixed and folding) ?

I now a guy in germany that got into a raid one week ago (razzia) in a pub, and they find the TRANCE knife from Böker (Chad los Banos) in his frontpocket. The officer messured the blade inside his hand (as y know 2,68 inch) and asked him why he's carrying it? So he told him because he works as a cable guy for the TV and he might needs a knife!The officer gave it back to him. The blade wasn`t so long!! The law isn't so clear yet regarding knifes...but i think if someone carry a blade until 3 inch then he would be on the save side...right?
From other side it is sad to have or to deal with just GIZMO knifes  :-[

bye and take care

Vrkah

• Level 2
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2008, 07:06:05 AM »

come to austria! here you can carry (nearly) everyknife.all the time (except public meetings or public buildings) :)

regards, vrkah
Si vis pacem, para bellum

chfroehlich

• Level 2
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2008, 07:14:17 AM »

The Law is crystalclear!!

But not every officer knows the exact details.
That's fact.

German law explicitly forbids a few types of knives and regards other types of knives as weapons. All other knives can be owned and carried without infringing on the law.

The law defines a weapon to be any item that is intended to reduce or eliminate the ability of a person to attack another person or to defend themselves. Example: A bayonet is intended to injure or kill people, hence it is regarded as a weapon by the law, while a machete is regarded as a tool to clear dense vegetation. A knife with a two-sided blade and a switchblade which is not illegal as described below is always regarded as a weapon. A Sabre and similar items are regarded as weapons.

The law explicitly lists the following knives as being illegal to manufacture, import, sell or possess:

* butterfly knives
    * gravity knives
    * push daggers
    * switchblade knives are the only knives where the law makes restrictions to the length of
       the knife:
          o all OTF switchblade knives are regarded as illegal to possess, and
          o all side-opening switchblade knives are illegal, except when the blade
                + is no longer than 8.5 cm and
                + is at least 20% as thick in its middle,
                + has a continuous back.

The law makes an exception for push daggers: These knives may be owned and used by owners of a hunting permit, or by members of the fur industry.

All weapons are subject to restrictions, including a minimum age of the owner, they have to be stored properly and may not be carried on certain public events. All knives that are not illegal or regarded as weapons can be purchased, owned and carried by anyone.

After April, 1 new law outlaws the carry of certain types of knives: all switchblades, even those formerly allowed for carry; all one-handed lock mechanism folders, all fixed blades over 12 cm.

Best to you

Christof

Blade

• Level 1
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2008, 10:35:00 AM »

Christof...i know the German law regarding weapons very good and perhaps better than some cops  ;D !
The things that i meant or asked about are changes that will come after the 01.04.2008!Like you said in germany are more incidents (just 2 days ago a bus driver in Berlin got stabbed in his back because he try ed to help a woman that got pestered from 2 guys!!!) I hope the law in germany regarding knifes will not be changed like it is in the UK !?
In some German knife magazines (Messer Magazine 1/2008) you can give your signature and send it to your local ministry for saying "I am against forbidding carrying a knife"
Thats all....
So by now you are nearly sure that i am from germany...well see you then on hocks Seminar this month  :o

greetings

chfroehlich

• Level 2
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2008, 10:51:11 AM »

I know about the petition from the Messermagazine, but it's to late, believe me.

The Laws won't get as strict as in the UK, but nearly as.

I don't believe that there are more incidents (in Frankfurt you can read every day about a knife-incident and I following that for years!!), there is only more media-attention to it.

Normal People get more aware of these Incidents, that's it.

Goverment uses this media-attention to get more people supporting the new law.

For years people were asking me "Why do you carry a knife??" or "Is that knife legal??".

These people (and they are the majority) support the new law.

BUT: I believe it will change nothing. Oh well, it will change something.

Knife-making and selling is a big industry. It will cost some jobs, because the people won't buy knives they are not allowed to carry.

The young punks (those how make trouble using knives) don't buy expensive knives built in Germany or the US. They buy the cheap knock-offs from China or India. Mostly law-abbiding Citizens buy the expensive knives

But nobody (exept Big Joe  ;D) is thinking about this point.

We'll see...

Make the best out of it

See you at the LEO or the Civilian Seminar??

Christof

shastana

• Level 4
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2008, 01:19:33 AM »

Tom Kier, knife guy, showed me a metal pen that was slightly longer than a regular pen, but was solid stainless and tapered at both ends. If I couldn't carry a knife of any kind, I would have one of those. And yes, it worked as a writing pen as well.  Very cool, and penetrated thin metal and some older kevlar as well.

Or for you street walking folks, carry a couple of No 2 pencils in your shirt pocket.  No questions asked, but in the right hands (or shoe laces), very effective.  LEOs beware of the No 2 pencil in the shoe laces, kicks with a real bight to them!

JC
An armed citizenry fly their colors, an unarmed citizenry wear their colors.

Martin25

• Level 1
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2008, 12:11:52 PM »

Hi Guys
Could someone please enlighten me about the law on knives in Great Britan.
thanks
Martin

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2008, 11:07:34 PM »

Here is a weapon that no  one thinks of and you can carry it on A/C no questions asked-
Chop sticks -come in pairs-i have a set with a top that looks like a top of a screw-pointed at the bottom-made of  wood.
you can put both in one hand-use as you would with any instrument for self defense-
really hurts putting pressure on back of  hand-under chin-stab to  eyes-stick up  nose -etc etc
used in case of emergancy quickly when allready in  hand
Now i know you guys are saying -Chop sticks?????? try in your  class-these are not end of the fight weapons but give you an opportunity to stab and continue the fight-expediant weapons like sheath  knifes/bottles/bottle opener/small lamp/and yes chop sticks may let you come home safe and sound
I cant wait to  see some responses to  this-stay safe-whitewolf (el  lobo blanco)

oz man

• Level 2
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2008, 01:29:57 AM »

As you know wwlf, improvised weapons can be a life saver.
Anything that you can use as an extention of the body and has the potential to diminish/injure/kill should never be ignored or written off.

Just look around your immediate area at work or home and use some imagination.
At work and travelling in my car i am surrounded by hammers, wrenches, metal pipes and bars, quite easy to grab something if i had to. Some of this stuff is even better than anything i could carry on my person(excluding firearms of course).

Good impact weapon training can be used with any of these improvised objects.

Martin25, sorry i cant help you with the pommy laws on knives but it shouldn't be too hard to find out on here, joe hubbard would be a good man to ask.

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2008, 06:46:49 AM »

Oz-thanks you make a good point=whitewolf (el  lobo Blanco)

Bryan Lee

• Level 4
  • Rogue Elephant
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2008, 10:14:06 AM »

Sounds like you guys want to beat the system. One guy a while back was making titanium chopsticks and another some carbon fiber stakes but all thats hifalutin answers for everyday problems and the hifalutin thinking will have you in one hell of a bind if you ever use some fancy exotic over thought out weapon and some nice prosecutor locates the USN or one of the other stupid tactical websites and quotes them about how smart the weapon is. Maybe you should try this out, get yourself a nice long skinny Phillips head screwdriver with a good old fashioned leather sheath, learn how to take the cover off a computer and change the hard drive and you now have an excuse to carry a weapon similar to a ice pick 24/7.

You can get fancy with aviation tools, EMT medical equipment, or even a Dale #3 Snap On model Phillips but truth be told, off the shelf with a hand stitched sheath will run less than 10 bucks if your at all handy. Most days my carry blade is a Vietnam Era Clyde Machete but thats because we have Cobras and I live on the edge of civilization, not because I'm Ninjar.

JimH, "Bryan, have you seen the Elephant?"  Bryan Lee, "I Am The MotherFFFFing Elephant!"

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2008, 11:47:28 PM »

Bryan lee-sorry partner but I carry chop sticks on my  sun visor-why? Ill tell u  Y-
Because their are a  lot of chinese resturants where I  work and I use my  own-heheheh
also I think they work when shit hits the fan and i  need something quick- I dont want to  carry a lap  top in my  car so I can carry a screw driver-with a custom made sheath to carry it  in-and lastly kemosabe-chop sticks are in and phillip head screw drivers are  not-not wanting to  offend you-but can you stab a cobra with a screw driver in a emergancy-i  dont think  so-cobra too fast screw driver to  small-BUT-with chop sticks you  can grab  his head throw him around and then kill and eat  him- just  kidding about grabbing the cobra--whitewolf (el  lobo blanco)

Karl

• Level 2
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2008, 03:46:14 PM »

About Knives,
What do i want it for? Self defense-Kill somebody.
How big is it?
How easy or hard is it to carry concealed.
How easy or hard is it to bring it into play.
Fixed Sheat, how open can i carry it, how much attention do i get from LEO.
Folder, how big? how easy is it to carry, does it fit in my Pocket without leaving a Telltale sign.

Just remember.
O.O.D.A.
If you don't see the other guy pulling a knife on you,
than the question about the size of the knife is mute.

It's not about the size of the Knife as about the Person trying to USE in on YOU.

Just my 3 Cents.

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2008, 11:31:33 PM »

Karl- go  get um-Ill add 1 denar (about $2.76 or there abouts-)-sheaths-folders-gravity-push button-razors-damm like you  said  O>O>D>A> or say a prayer. whitewolf (el  lobo blanco)

Download