W. Hock Hochheim's

Combat Centric

Talk Forum for Military, Police, Martial Artists and Aware Citizenry

Hock Hochheim's Combat Talk Forum

• June 25, 2018, 09:57:07 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: tried something new  (Read 1382 times)

Bryant

• Kung Fu Genius
  • Level 3
  • To win in an instant is a superior achievement
    • moy yat ving tsun kung fu
tried something new
« on: March 06, 2008, 09:01:11 AM »

Tried a new drill/combat scenario last night. We took two folding  mats and stood them on their sides such that they took up about the same amount of space as two cars parked next to each other in a parking lot. The trainer has a focus mitt and a cane, the trainee must hit the focus mitt with either a hand strike (punch, finger jab, palm strike) or a front snap kick depending on how the trainer presents the focus mitt. The trainer also has a cane and the trainee must alternately dodge the cane and strike the focus mitt. Move in and hit when the focus mitt is presented, dodge and use the "cars" as obstacles when attacked with the cane. I have heard many stories of people being attacked by crowbar/club/baseball bat wielding assailants in parking lots. I figured this scenario/drill could give you an opportunity to develop a few of the skills you would need to handle that situation.
Proverbs 27:17 - Proverbs 24:3-4

Dawg

• Level 4
Re: tried something new
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2008, 09:08:06 AM »

I'm working on a similar drill, but using actual cars out in the parking lot behind the school where I teach.
I'd be interested to hear what you learned from your drill.
How would you improve it? What would help to make it more realistic, yet keep it safe?
What weaknesses (or strengths!) in your system were revealed to you while performing this drill.
Thanks!
"Whether you're paranoid or not, they're coming for you."  - Dawg

whitewolf

• Level 4
Re: tried something new
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2008, 05:23:50 PM »

Drills sound good-i think it is much  better to  do related drills than just say there are two cars and you are between them-anything that gets on to think helps-one drill i used was togo to parking lot and have the student be at the rear of the car and actually be opening the trunk and someone tries to come up and push them in it-also opening the car door and someone comes up and starts the assult with the victim back to the person or just starting to sit in the car-i imagine that some of Hocks training covers those sanarios-
whitewolf

Download