W. Hock Hochheim's

Combat Centric

Talk Forum for Military, Police, Martial Artists and Aware Citizenry

Hock Hochheim's Combat Talk Forum

• October 22, 2018, 04:28:44 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Slowed reaction from Eye Blinks while fighting?  (Read 4815 times)

Tank

• Level 1
Slowed reaction from Eye Blinks while fighting?
« on: March 24, 2008, 02:51:14 PM »

One of our new Students came up to me today and said he saw another reality fighting show where the guy(unknown) was talking about the importance of not blinking when taking a punch. This guy supposedly trained this. The slow motion camera revealed that he actually didn't blink when punched?? Maybe he is 1 in a million without the natural reaction, I don't know.

I can think of a lot better things to spend my time on in training, but it did intrigue some scientific thought.

Does blinking your eyes slow your reaction time down enough to matter?

Do boxers and MMA guys find it important not to blink or turn the head?
"The tongue can be a great force for good or for evil...we get to choose"---Unknown

Milldog1776

Re: Slowed reaction from Eye Blinks while fighting?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2008, 03:06:10 PM »

If you don't blink while being struck, don't you run the risk of having your eye damaged? Isn't that what the natural instinct to blink is for?

I get amazed at all of this stuff. I bet the same guy advocates a "Spear" or "Wedge" block as it is a "natural" reaction. However...don't blink!

I say blinking is just fine. Just don't turn your head away completely.

By the way...how do you train not to blink when punched? "Alright, hold still and don't blink while I pound you in the face with this boxing glove."  ;D

Dawg

• Level 4
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2008, 08:09:22 PM »

That's all right; Tank's got nothing to worry about. He always blinks after I hit him. ;)

Seriously, I've seen boxers and MMA fighters land some real haymakers with their heads partially turned and their eyes completely closed. I can see how your reaction time could be affected by blinking before an incoming strike and losing critical time to evade or counter, but while you're being hit? And as far as how important blinking might be?
My goodness! I must learn this valuable secret; then I will be invincible! Hahahahaha (evil laugh sound bite goes here).

Sorry about that! It's a good question; sometimes I just get carried away. :-[

I like Milldog's idea for training though...as long as I'm the one throwing the punches!
"Whether you're paranoid or not, they're coming for you."  - Dawg

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2008, 11:56:38 PM »

Blinky Blinky who got the blinky??? I am sorry I just got off 12 hours of driving on some of worst roads in the F-----g world-and god dam it i blinked all god dam night-so how about this for a answer-forget about  blinking and learn to act not react-i am not a doctor but i never in my lifetime ever thought about where the hell my  eye lids were when the shit hit the fan--BUT-i do remember one time in olongapo after a long night out in town i woke up and opened one eye and looked over at my lady friend and when i saw what she looked like i blinked like hell and ran all the way  back accross shit  river to the camp.
Now I know that someone will search the internet now and find some thoughts on blinking--so  be it-semper fi  white wolf (el  lobo blanco)

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2008, 12:02:29 AM »

I just  read what i  wrote-I kill my  self-maybe we should transfer this info to Arnold for disecting-diseminating-disrupting-dumping-daring-doing-deliberating-defecting-and lastly defecating-heheh-whitewolf (el lobo blanco)-thats a marine for ya..

rutleddc

• Level 3
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2008, 04:32:53 AM »

You forgot defibrillating.  ;D
"Ruttles"
David Rutledge

grlaun

• Rawhide
  • Level 4
  • Jeff 'Rawhide' Laun
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2008, 04:57:01 AM »

Its a bunch of crap and thats all I'm going to say about it.
Cheat in Beginning - Cheat in the Middle - Cheat in the End
Official Evil Ninja - 2008
Texas Peace Officer 8/2009
"You're making the wrong assumption that a Marine by himself is outnumbered"
Gen Peter Pace, 28Jul06
"You tell that muthaf**ka, he owes me money!"

arnold

• the king of cool
  • Level 4
  • oh that will get you killed
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2008, 05:17:14 AM »

Being the New "Outer Spiritual Warrior" I never blink as I'm always on the lookout for the neon Saint Arnold Brewery sign plus other things that could interfere with my miserable day to day existence.
Last night, as I had no class to attend too ( plus I have no class) I was forced to suffer through not only Dancing with the Stars, but The Bachelor.
It took 2 Saint Arnold's and 1 Hoffbrau Ocktoberfest just to be able to get to sleep and not have a nightmare.
Did you see the size of the magician dancing on that show? I'm sure he's related to Uncle Nicky. He's got feet like snowshoes.
Why isn't Rawhide on this show? Why isn't Hock a judge? Where's Kentbob?
So many questions, so little beer.
More to come on Hillary's big lie under fire!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I leave you idiots alone for 5 minutes and I come back and you're all dancing around like a bunch of Kansas City faggots
you're all a bunch of slack jawed faggots around here, this stuff will make you a sexual tyrannosaurus, just like me!

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2008, 06:19:18 AM »

Rut-Gar-Arnold-I thank you all for assisting in the majic of crapoling the blinky blinky's of the world-their are too many of them out there-as far as Hillaries big lie-crap on that one too-and crap on camels-dust in the air-sand storms-and what ever i  can thnik of .
I am waiting for the next post that probably will be on deviates in the H2H  arena-whitewolf (el lobo blanko)

Tank

• Level 1
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2008, 06:45:01 AM »

All  I can say is I just laugh everytime some dip-wad comes up with the next "new"??? way to defeat the enemy. The show did air on Discovery which has become the new channel for all this so called fight science. I guess they just try and compete for ratings with the UFC.

The real problem exists though when people believe this crap.   and there are a lot of people that buy into it. Look at how many DVD's Jim Wagner has sold.

How do we educate our students to stay away from this junk. And why is there so much junk out there in the last 2-3 years. Guess its just a soapbox of mine, sorry.

I'm agree with Rawhide. This is CRAP.....

Arnold, please help with bashing these MORONS. It'll make me feel better.
"The tongue can be a great force for good or for evil...we get to choose"---Unknown

Tank

• Level 1
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2008, 09:30:55 AM »

I believe it was Sammy Franco that said he trained not to blink.

Another Captain Insano that has invented all new stuff.

Whacko!

juszczec

• Level 3
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2008, 05:15:31 PM »

How do we educate our students to stay away from this junk.

Have them spar.  The rules are up to you.  The variations (with/without groundfighting/weapons/multiple opponents to name a few) are up to you.

Have them experiment with techniques and tactics.  Some will examine stuff like not blinking.  If the sparring  is sufficient, they'll see those ideas for what they are.

And why is there so much junk out there in the last 2-3 years.

People like the easy way out.  MMA has increased the exposure of MA.  The Sept. 11 attacks made people realize violence can happen to even them.  Lots of people who saw MMA and said "I can do that" or got frightened and said "I need that"have found out "that" can be pretty damn uncomfortable on the ego and body.  The US is the land of the short cut and people who can sell short cuts have a bunch of customers just waiting to give them money.

It is, I supposed, an odd testament to capitalism - come up with something people want to buy and they'll buy it.

Mark

grlaun

• Rawhide
  • Level 4
  • Jeff 'Rawhide' Laun
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2008, 07:50:12 PM »

The only reason I am NOT on the show is that I threatened to injure one of the judges for poorly rating my "Sydney Shuffle", "Arnold Tap" & "Nicky Wave" ( a REAL show stopper, that one) so they resorted to eliminating me.
Cheat in Beginning - Cheat in the Middle - Cheat in the End
Official Evil Ninja - 2008
Texas Peace Officer 8/2009
"You're making the wrong assumption that a Marine by himself is outnumbered"
Gen Peter Pace, 28Jul06
"You tell that muthaf**ka, he owes me money!"

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2008, 10:11:52 PM »

Garlaun-you could also give them the ali shuffle and punch their lights out-as for sammy franco training not to  bblink-all i can say is -Are u shitting me? A grown man saying soething like that makes me want to go out in the desert and just f---g scream-last night as i  drove  i tried to keep from blinking-after 62 minutes my eye lids frooze and now i  look like a owl-----what a fucking world---whitewolf (el lobo blanco) ::) ::) ::)

arnold

• the king of cool
  • Level 4
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2008, 05:39:05 AM »

I always wonder who these idiots are that dream up some new "Technique" or some other load of camel crap.
But just look at how far the Short Bus has come in it's limited time on this humble blog. We have defeated attacks from everything including but not up to, spiffy yellow, vinyl shorts, peanut butter, Muslim extremest nonsense, Inner Spiritual Warriors, political attacks, unauthorized dance steps, etc, etc.
But after the defeat of these infidel infiltrators, we have accepted and made room for them on the Bus. Similar to the actions the US took with defeated nations after WWII. Hell, we even made room for Uncle Nicky's blow up doll collection and pet roos. ( they still stink)
But don't let these humanitarian acts fool you. We at the Bus will always be there for our humble caring readers, where ever they may be. Righting wrongs, digging for the truth, getting "words from the top", and passing them to our members.
Even thou we have been stifled in the past in our political observations, we have made the decision to continue to provide our dear readers with the truth, no matter who gets hit over the head  or kicked in the nuts with it.
And I saw in another entry, that there is a seminar in Scotland. I love Scotland! They had beer with numbers on tap. What more could you ask for?!
Good thing there's no snipers here to deal with. We would have to ask Hillary on how to handle them!
I leave you idiots alone for 5 minutes and I come back and you're all dancing around like a bunch of Kansas City faggots
you're all a bunch of slack jawed faggots around here, this stuff will make you a sexual tyrannosaurus, just like me!

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2008, 08:38:37 AM »

Guess we are getting away  from blinking-good-I saw on the Orbit news today that Hillary said she ran from sniper fire in bosnia-12 years ago-then the news showed it was a lie because she stayed ut on the airstrip and talked to people-what a world-the country wants someone like her to sit in the oval office-thats scary-wonder if  she blinkes?? heheheh
whitewolf (el lobo blanco)

michael

• Level 3
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2008, 09:06:36 AM »

The only time the Hilldebeast blinked was when she saw the soggy cigar and the stain on the dress. ;D
**To be a warrior is not a simple matter of wishing to be one. It is rather an endless struggle that will go on to the very last moment of our lives. Nobody is born a warrior, in exactly the same way that nobody is born an average man. We make ourselves into one or the other.** Carlos Castaneda

arnold

• the king of cool
  • Level 4
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2008, 09:55:57 AM »

Hilldebeast... going into the book immediately. You will be given the appropriate accommodations for the use of your terminology

michael

• Level 3
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2008, 04:03:15 PM »

I stole the term. I think I first heard it used by talk radio host Neal Boortz. ;D
**To be a warrior is not a simple matter of wishing to be one. It is rather an endless struggle that will go on to the very last moment of our lives. Nobody is born a warrior, in exactly the same way that nobody is born an average man. We make ourselves into one or the other.** Carlos Castaneda

Trainer

« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2008, 06:16:30 PM »

Is that anything like a Warpig?

Download