W. Hock Hochheim's

Combat Centric

Talk Forum for Military, Police, Martial Artists and Aware Citizenry

Hock Hochheim's Combat Talk Forum

• April 25, 2018, 11:43:24 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Knife vs. UC  (Read 2061 times)

Bryant

• Kung Fu Genius
  • Level 3
  • To win in an instant is a superior achievement
    • moy yat ving tsun kung fu
Knife vs. UC
« on: April 07, 2008, 12:03:20 PM »

I was wondering...
statistically, how often does someone pull a knife in self defense
against an unarmed assailant , yet the assailant is undeterred by the knife and continues to attack

in this scenario is it better to keep the knife in the rear hand
so it cannot be grabbed, so the front hand can be used to strike/grab/push/pull
and set up knife attacks

will the person go to jail for defending themselves against an unprovoked unarmed attacker by using a knife?

I'm guessing the answer to this question depends heavily on circumstances

is it a home invasion?

is it an attempted mugging?

could the person have walked away , making it unnecessary to pull the knife?
Proverbs 27:17 - Proverbs 24:3-4

Hock

• Administrator
  • Level 4
    • www.HocksCQC.com
Re: Knife vs. UC
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2008, 12:13:53 PM »

The few-years old stat - from the US Departmnt of Justice leads to that answer but exactly?

They say that 67% of the time when a victim pulls a knife or a gun, the criminal leaves.

Force Science has uncovered some newer studies that say as much as 90% of the time, the suspect leaves.

Which are knives? Which are guns?

I don't know.

Hock

Jason

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2008, 07:00:45 PM »

I would tend to think that a percentage somewhere in between the 2 studies results would be accurate. Keep in mind that for every assault that gets reported, probably  at least 2 others go unreported.

Keeping the knife in the rear vs. the lead hand. We could argue for both sides. My personal preference is to keep it in the rear hand to have the lead hand free.

Will the person go to jail? Yes, it does depend on the circumstances, and the state/country of location. I believe that a big part of this lies in the articulation of the victim. Many men do not want to tell responding law enforcement that "I was in fear of my life" and that is why I defended myself in that manner. They usually say, " I had to defend myself ", but the courts want to hear that you were in fear for your life.

I personally have pointed pistols and shotguns at people that kept coming right at me (I'm a l.e.o.) ,and it didn't deter them one bit. But, maybe that was because they knew that as an officer I wouldn't shoot them unless they were armed, unlike a typical street thug.

Jason

Karl

• Level 2
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2008, 09:55:53 PM »

Here in Sydney in 2008, if you pull a Knife on anybody even in self defense there is a good chance you end up in Jail.
I think it cames back to how big is the Guy/Girl, some of the Islander Girls are bigger and nastier than some of the Guys.
How confident are you in your UC Skills.

michael

• Level 3
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2008, 12:14:01 AM »

Showing a knife or gun will often deter the attacker, but we must be prepared if it does not. If they are drunk or high on drugs, it may not even  register with them that they may die, or even if they are sober, they may not care. Some folks don't, and to die is a badge of honor for them.

I've also pointed guns at people and it did not deter them, so we should always have a plan "b" and a plan "c".
**To be a warrior is not a simple matter of wishing to be one. It is rather an endless struggle that will go on to the very last moment of our lives. Nobody is born a warrior, in exactly the same way that nobody is born an average man. We make ourselves into one or the other.** Carlos Castaneda

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2008, 03:46:38 AM »

Hock-sir, what i  want to  know is does the department of  justice go to the local precients and take a count of who actually reports this type of defense-90% -where did they come up with that number? just  my thoughts-anyway hope its true-whitewolf (el  lobo  blanco)

Hock

• Administrator
  • Level 4
    • www.HocksCQC.com
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2008, 05:23:24 AM »

I have no idea.
Thed D.O.D. collects info and then FBI collects info.

It use to be about 60% to 70%, as a general average year after year.
I was surprised to see Force Science recently quote a 90%.

How many times has a drawn knife scared someone off and there were no police called and was no report for the DOD or FBI?

If the police were called and a report made in Burbank, CA. , how will it be categorized and how deep do the stat takers in Washington DC takers look and decipher the events?

These things have always been a mystery to me.

Hock

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2008, 12:31:43 PM »

hock-thanks-my feeling also-WF (ELB)

Download