W. Hock Hochheim's

Combat Centric

Talk Forum for Military, Police, Martial Artists and Aware Citizenry

Hock Hochheim's Combat Talk Forum

• January 17, 2018, 07:48:53 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Folders  (Read 3162 times)

Contractor

• Level 1
Folders
« on: February 08, 2005, 06:00:24 PM »

New forum member.  I carry a CRKT M-16 model.  Nice knife, but bought mostly for the attractive price.  Question is:  I am looking for a quality folder that is fast to deploy, and does not require compromising the grip just to open.

Trembula

Re: Folders
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2005, 10:56:12 PM »

Anything with a "wave" on it from Emerson. I prefer the CQC11, but all of his knives are top notch (pun intended...). You can add a "wave" to some knives with a dremel tool (spyderco's are the usual victims), but it does weaken the blade and looks pretty ugly.

Another alternative isn't a folder, but to try an "out the front" automatic knife like the Makora from Microtech. Pricy, but you will not have to change your grip.

Any "folder" is going to require slight to significant adjustment during one portion or another of the deployment phase. If you want the fumble factor to be reduced to the smallest possible factor, consider a small fixed blade. Most folks, myself included, do not take that route and deal with the hassle of hinges and pocket clips.

Dan

Professor

• In your house drinking your coffee
  • Level 4
  • The Warlord
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2005, 11:10:38 PM »

New forum member.  I carry a CRKT M-16 model.  Nice knife, but bought mostly for the attractive price.  Question is:  I am looking for a quality folder that is fast to deploy, and does not require compromising the grip just to open.

Kershaw's Ken Onion knives are good, cheap and quick to deploy.
  'Advanced' is being able to do the basics, despite what else is happening. 

Our Country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't be any AMERICA because some foreign soldiery will invade us and take our women and breed a hardier race!"  --- Chesty Puller, USMC

usks1

• Level 4
  • Don't tell me.. show me..
    • U.S. Karate
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2005, 09:31:12 PM »

Kershaw's Ken Onion knives are good, cheap and quick to deploy.

And you can get em at Wal Mart
" I see people doing all kinds of crazy stuff.. Eatin razor blades and sh--t.. But I wanna know.. Can he fight?? "

Moses Powell ( RIP ) - The warrior within

gumbey

• Level 3
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2005, 08:43:09 AM »

I use a S&W SWAT Millenium Run. Very fast to deploy with the flick of a wrist and not too expensive either (around $40).

Contractor

• Level 1
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2005, 03:57:58 PM »

Thank you. 

ragsbo

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2005, 09:35:03 AM »

Look at a Spyderco, fast out, easy to carry and good price.

Milldog1776

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2005, 10:23:27 AM »

What's wrong with the CRKT? I carry the same knife, and have no problems opening it lightening fast!

The new Microtech QD Scarab is sweet...but I live in California! The Red Commie bastards out here, won't let me carry one! Besides...I'd have to sell my car to afford it!

Download