W. Hock Hochheim's

Combat Centric

Talk Forum for Military, Police, Martial Artists and Aware Citizenry

Hock Hochheim's Combat Talk Forum

• September 22, 2018, 05:08:19 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Dog attacks  (Read 1555 times)

Martin25

• Level 1
Dog attacks
« on: April 20, 2008, 10:02:57 AM »

Guys
I was almost attacked by a pack of  about 12 dogs a while back. I was on my lunch break and was strolling down a path near the Health Centre where I worked.
They came at me out of the blue and were called off by a woman "owner" at the last minute.
I looked around for a weapon  or stick but there was none.
Any advice on this?
Martin
Martin

JimH

• Level 4
Re: Dog attacks
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2008, 10:55:14 AM »

Were you wearing a belt with a metal buckle?
There was an improvised weapon.

How about keys on a key ring?

How about slide the belt through the key ring then back through the buckle, this creates a distance swinging impact weapon

Since you cannot out run the dogs ,how about taking off you shoes and using them as impact weapons?
(hold the toe and smash with the heel end)

If allowing the dogs to get close is a problem ,tie the laces together and swing the shoe/s.

Were there no bottles,trash cans,rocks any type of garbage /debris?

How about a small window to break (door or car sideview mirror) to  get a piece of glass to use as an edged weapon?

Many people look for a specific weapon,pipe,stick,pole,board ,when if you look around you there is either something on you or something that can be taken and be made into a weapon.

You can also climb,most dogs will not try to climb so a tree,fence or even a car is an obstacle of opportunity.

rasdj

• Dillon R.
  • Level 2
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2008, 02:17:16 PM »

check the main page of hock's website there is an article there on dog attacks. also if you can get your hand's on M. Ayoob's "Truth about self-protection" it has a section on dog attacks (good book all around too).
I exhort you also to take part in the great combat,  which is the combat of life, and greater than every other earthly combat.
--Plato (427 BC - 347 BC)

Martin25

• Level 1
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2008, 05:29:24 AM »

No sticks  or bottles and for once nothing lying around for an improvised weapon. Nothing to climb on and no cars,a pretty isolated path. The belt and keys idea sounds ok, has any one tried it?
Martin

JimH

• Level 4
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2008, 07:13:46 AM »

With nothing around you have to look to what is on your person.
That or try to fend the Dogs off with empty hands and feet.

The number of dogs in this situation are too many to try and lure in to hurt them by offering an arm and then striking them in the throat or cutting them with a blade/glass,so you have to improvise an impact weapon  which inflicts pain and gives some distance.

I have used the Belt and Buckle alone against dogs.
In my younger days I have used a belt with keys or pad lock against humans in street fights.
(the odds are you will not have a padlock to slide the belt through,or clip to the buckle, so the keys are the next best thing)

Download