W. Hock Hochheim's

Combat Centric

Talk Forum for Military, Police, Martial Artists and Aware Citizenry

Hock Hochheim's Combat Talk Forum

• June 24, 2018, 11:54:24 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: statistical analysis of common attacks  (Read 3048 times)

juszczec

• Level 3
statistical analysis of common attacks
« on: May 09, 2008, 07:05:48 AM »

Hi folks

Somewhere I read about some poor guy who sat down, read a whole bunch of police reports and came up with a list of the 10 attacks most commonly faced by women.

One of the instructors I work with wants to get into the seminar business and do some Women's Self Defense seminars.  Me and another one of the Ohio Hock guys (Naso Karas) are trying to help her cook up the most effective presentation we can.

She's surveying the women she works with, which is a great idea.  Problem is, some of what they are suggesting (headlocks?) doesn't strike me like the way the average guy would attack the average woman.

Hence, my interest in the 10 most common attacks.

Mark

whitewolf

• Level 4
Re: statistical analysis of common attacks
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2008, 07:50:57 AM »

Mark-you open up a question that  has a hell of a lot of answers=here are just some of many

1-Random attack by grabbing pocket book and running
2-Stalking and overpowering  and kidnapping or taking home adter date (date rape)
3-Rape using knife as threat to suceed
4-Overcomming by punching in face
5-being grabbed by arm and being pulled
6-threatened in the home -domestic violence-slapped punched kicked-hit with object
7-verbal threats-staring-
8-chased and run after and pushed down for further attack
9-attacked by a group at same time (rape sanario)
10-bump and run in auto

I could go on byt those are some of the attacks I have been associated with when giving lectures on street smarts self defense and teaching  ladies.I did not go into the actual movement of the attacker just  general discussion here. Hope that helps-whitewolf (el lobo blanco)

Recommend that training consists of movements that proceed tha attack i.e. body  language of the preditor in order that student will get a feeling that something may  occur  and act to get away-not try and fight  and get killed.

Hock

• Administrator
  • Level 4
    • www.HocksCQC.com
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2008, 08:14:20 AM »

This is a regional problem.
Ask the same question to a group of Alaskan women.

Most women are attacked in their homes by their spouses with slaps, punches and hair pulling and then other combinations. Next biggest group - they are attacked by people they know in personal and work relationships.

Getting down to the smallest goup - The "stranger/danger" criminal.

Be careful collecting "anecdotle" stories and drawing too many conclusions. 50 interviewed women working in a southside auto factory plant may have different stories than northside business building.

Hock 

gematriot

• Level 4
    • Systema training adapted to YOUR contemporary needs and goals
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2008, 08:35:09 AM »

Perhaps the following?
http://www.rainn.org/statistics
"Any experiment of interest in life will be carried out at your own expense. Mark it well. "

juszczec

• Level 3
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2008, 10:31:26 AM »

Mark-you open up a question that  has a hell of a lot of answers

I post the questions with simple answers on a different forum  ;)

1-Random attack by grabbing pocket book and running
2-Stalking and overpowering  and kidnapping or taking home adter date (date rape)
3-Rape using knife as threat to suceed
4-Overcomming by punching in face
5-being grabbed by arm and being pulled
6-threatened in the home -domestic violence-slapped punched kicked-hit with object
7-verbal threats-staring-
8-chased and run after and pushed down for further attack
9-attacked by a group at same time (rape sanario)
10-bump and run in auto

This is along the lines of what I was looking for.  Thanks.

Hope that helps-whitewolf (el lobo blanco)

Yep, it does.

Recommend that training consists of movements that proceed tha attack i.e. body  language of the preditor in order that student will get a feeling that something may  occur  and act to get away-not try and fight  and get killed.

Yes, the instructor I'm helping out already has this in her list of stuff to cover.  We're at the point where we're listing the scenarios we'll put the participants thru.  I suspect I'll post some questions about awareness when we get there.

Mark

JimH

• Level 4
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2008, 03:42:50 PM »

My input to those who have asked me what types of scenarios and techniques I would use to instruct a womens self defense or safety course are:

The sequence of attack needs to start with methods of preventing getting into the position to be attacked in the first place.

Teaching people,(women in the case of the original post), to be aware of and to avoid situations from the outset does more for them than trying to teach women how to fight off an attempted rape by a guy they just met in a bar who has driven them to a secluded parking area.

In the Fight only scenarios we are dealing with the end result,after total screw up,rather than dealing with how to Avoid getting into the situation in the first place.

If we Go to self defense applications:

I would agree with Hock,attacks are ALL regional/neighborhood specific.

I always tell students and those interested in running a course based on attacks to go to the local Police station and ask them what are the most reported types of attacks for the area?
Also
Are the attacks by singular attackers or groups/gangs?
Do attacks happen at the point of contact or are the victims moved/removed to other areas?

People should know what types of attacks and attackers operate in areas they frequent .
Be it their home environment ,work environment or just any/all environments they find themselves in frequently.

The same with traveling ,it is always best to find out what methods are used by attackers in that area.

I also tell students to ask at the local hospital about the types of attack injuries seen?
Are they empty hand attacks or do they employ some sort of weapon?
If a weapon  is used what is the order of the weapon base injuries seen?
(Knife,firearm,blunt force)

The more you know of the enemies prefered methods of attack, and possible weapons to be faced ,the better prepared you will be.

Asking people who have never been attacked in the area the seminar is to be given in just invites scenarios from across the board to be presented for training,you need area specific scenarios.

In my opinion

oz man

• Level 2
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2008, 04:58:32 PM »

I strongly agree with you guys on the importance of awareness to the potential for attack. Which is vital when not just women but men also are out in the wider world.

Teach them to avoid being isolated, women by themselves are a common and easy target.
Stick to public/populated areas and give the old saying "safety in numbers" a thought also.

This is where it becomes so important to teach them about the ever increasing problem of drink spiking. This is a common method of getting women by themselves so attacks can take place.

I say that because over here that is the most common type of attack on women outside of domestic violence.

Obviously when it comes time to introduce them to physical solutions, you would aim for the softer targets. Those dirty tactics we all love so much are the order of the day.

grlaun

• Rawhide
  • Level 4
  • Jeff 'Rawhide' Laun
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2008, 07:14:47 PM »

I wish her luck teaching self defense.  Most women avoid such seminars.  They talk about taking self defense but usually "never get around to it..."
Cheat in Beginning - Cheat in the Middle - Cheat in the End
Official Evil Ninja - 2008
Texas Peace Officer 8/2009
"You're making the wrong assumption that a Marine by himself is outnumbered"
Gen Peter Pace, 28Jul06
"You tell that muthaf**ka, he owes me money!"

juszczec

• Level 3
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2008, 06:22:19 AM »

This is a regional problem.

That's was unexpected-I never would have guessed it.  A friend of mine is a local LEO.  I'll email him and see what kind of statistics he can dig up.

Mark

Joe Hubbard

• London, England
  • Level 4
  • Transforming the Esoteric with the Exoteric!
    • www.functionalfighting.com
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2008, 06:52:19 AM »

Great post from Jim H!  You have to define the Concentric Layers of Defence Principle and explain how the self-defence part is the last ditch attempt for survival.  Most women will be defeated physically by men.  There are 4-layers worth discussing: Detection, Delay, Defend & Defeat.  There are many opportunities for escape at the Delay part if the bad guy thwarts your Detection phase.  There is also one key ingredient that no one has mentioned here- most women are brought up to respect men and are led to belive that they play a smaller part in a man's world.  This is a psychology problem here for women to rewire the way they perceive their own self-protection issues.  Sadly, Jeff is also spot on- many women will only get involved in self defence if you can guarantee that they will burn some calories and loose some weight.  The only women I have taught in the past are those who have been attacked and do not want to repeat the experience unprepared.

Out

Joe

« Last Edit: May 10, 2008, 06:56:45 AM by Joe Hubbard »
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.  There's also a negative side"

Hunter S. Thompson

www.joehubbardstreetsurvival.com

Visit My Blog: http://joehubbard.wordpress.com

Download