W. Hock Hochheim's

Combat Centric

Talk Forum for Military, Police, Martial Artists and Aware Citizenry

Hock Hochheim's Combat Talk Forum

• April 21, 2018, 07:12:56 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: the clinch vs the throws  (Read 3425 times)

inner_spiritual_warrior

• Forum Member
the clinch vs the throws
« on: April 29, 2008, 12:59:08 AM »

clinches are good resseling techniques but how would it be possible to turn that into a throw?

well I always say someone said to my dad one day he would like a ressel but really this guy was going on my dads wrong side so anyways..
my dad threw him from clinch position and he landed upside down and landed on his back and beleive me he was pretty much leaving my dad alone after that  but in the unarmed wise combat training I need to really get my skills up with unarmed combat because I am lacking it behind.

what I mean is I have not trained long enough for those combat skills to be upgraded unarmed that is.

clinches can turn into very nasty throws and I tell you the nastiest throw I have ever seen was getting thrown a metre in the air from and arm lock throw,ouch....

grlaun

• Rawhide
  • Level 4
  • Jeff 'Rawhide' Laun
Re: the clinch vs the throws
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2008, 07:10:48 AM »

use spell check or learn English - its wrestling or in Texas wrasslin'
Cheat in Beginning - Cheat in the Middle - Cheat in the End
Official Evil Ninja - 2008
Texas Peace Officer 8/2009
"You're making the wrong assumption that a Marine by himself is outnumbered"
Gen Peter Pace, 28Jul06
"You tell that muthaf**ka, he owes me money!"

rasdj

• Dillon R.
  • Level 2
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2008, 08:41:08 AM »

-10 and counting, 'til this gets moved to the bus stop ::)
I exhort you also to take part in the great combat,  which is the combat of life, and greater than every other earthly combat.
--Plato (427 BC - 347 BC)

JimH

• Level 4
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2008, 08:55:20 AM »

Throws from the clinch require A LOT of training and time executing the spin,turn,bump,hoist and throw.
Great for sport near useless for most in a street self dfense situation.
I have been training in throwing arts for around 20 years and WOULD NOT go to any Jujitsu/judo.hapkido type high throw in the street.

In throws from the clinch,face to face,  I would rather use sweeps or leg attacks taking the opponents legs out.

In a face to face ,center line to center line,I would not attempt to turn and give my back for a throw .

If grabbed from behind I would use a High throw variation ,called a pull around,in which I shift my center and instead of a high throw I pull the opponent around rather than hoist,bend and throw.
They still end up on the ground ,with less impact,but they do not have as much opportunity to stop my high throw or get to a rear  choke.
Also less likely that wet ground,bad foot position,them shifting any of which could have them coming down on my leg.
(I know a good few throwers who have had that happen in the street)

Again you need to get some good quality instruction form someone or get some good DVDs and a training partner.
Since you are on this site,why not start with Hock's,Nick's or Joe's materials?
(I have materials by each and recommend any and or all of them)

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2008, 11:16:13 AM »

Well he is  trying anyway-JimH guess thats how you  read it-i reread it a  couple  times either he is really trying and has trouble expressing himself or its a joke-if he is tryng then more power to  him-whitewolf (el lobo blanco)

juszczec

• Level 3
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2008, 04:12:50 PM »

If you are close enough to clinch then you've got to be close enough to throw elbows and knees.

If you can throw those, then just throw them until he falls down. Voila, there's your takedown  ;D

Ok.  Seriously now.  There's puter kapala from the clinch.

There's also another one, I don't do it, but its been done to me.  From the clinch, trap the opponent's neck tightly in between your forearms, throw one of your legs out and around in as big a circle as you can manage.  The idea is the weight of your leg whips your body around and since the guy's head is trapped he goes down.

oz man

• Level 2
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2008, 04:55:10 PM »

Whether you go to a throw/takedown in the clinch or not, you still need to employ those elbows, knees, leg kicks, facial strikes, rakes or gouges. if they haven't fallen down from a good series of old fashioned bashing techniques then you may have opened the gate for a throw/takedown.

You really need to practice those viscious, dirty hits in the clinch, if you're up against a big guy, the clinch can be a terrible place to be. And you certainly wouldn't be thinking about throws. Personally i'd be trying to slam a couple of fingers 2 inches into his brain via the eye socket, and relocating his balls into his stomach. Hopefully that may enable you to go for a decent fight finisher, and you'll live to scratch brains another day.

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2008, 04:57:38 PM »

Jus-are you refering to judo Kosoto-Gake or similar but the leg goes around further? whitewolf
(el lobo blanco)

juszczec

• Level 3
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2008, 03:25:37 PM »

Jus-are you refering to judo Kosoto-Gake or similar but the leg goes around further? whitewolf
(el lobo blanco)

No.

Let's say you are clinching with your opponent and your left foot is in the lead.

IIRC, you swing your left foot out and around counterclockwise; your body follows around.

If you had a right foot lead, your right foot would swing out and around clockwise; again, your body follows around.

Your leg has to make an uncomfortably (for me) big circle in order to generate enough momentum.

Mark

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2008, 09:17:57 PM »

OK-sounds a little better now that you explained it -whitewolf (el lobo blanco)

Karl

• Level 2
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2008, 09:48:29 PM »

Hi I_S_W,
I think you are looking at it from the wrong angle.
It's not which is better as which is available to you at the time.
This is dictated by the situation you are in and where the opponent is relative to your position.
One way you are going to learn this if you grapple or clinch for while 30 Sec. or so,
then stop and see whats available to you, in terms of his legs, hand, arm, head etc.
That's NOT the only way you learn which opening there are and how to implement.
But it is a start, i see a lot of People only ever do the same Technique or miss an opening because they don't know what they are looking for.

Anyway just my Thought.

Download