W. Hock Hochheim's

Combat Centric

Talk Forum for Military, Police, Martial Artists and Aware Citizenry

Hock Hochheim's Combat Talk Forum

• July 17, 2018, 05:29:53 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: "ugly" sticks  (Read 4762 times)

juszczec

• Level 3
"ugly" sticks
« on: March 11, 2008, 07:52:42 PM »

Hi folks

I've seen sticks sold by one kali/escrima supplier as seconds. 

Per the manufacturer, they are too "ugly" to sell full price.  Is this a standard practice?  Do many/most/all manufacturers do this?  Can anyone recommend suppliers who sell seconds?

Mark

Benjamin Liu

• Level 4
Re: "ugly" sticks
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2008, 10:18:25 PM »

Years ago my cousin told me that he gets his rattan at a furniture store.  He gets them in long sticks and cuts them into Eskrima sticks.  He says they are stronger than the sticks sold for martial arts and they still have the skin on them, and they also cost less. 

Jamie Flory

• Level 2
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2008, 08:58:10 AM »

Mark, 
   If your the same Mark I met in Akron, all the sticks i brought were seconds gotten through bloodsport.com.  I have been working with these for a while and can't complain,  and since there all slightly different lengths I've noticed handle and react differently.  Before this my sticks were all the same length and diameter, which I now believe is not the best method of training, a little randomness makes me work a little harder.  I have not tried sticks from furniture outlets, but had been thinking of giving it a try.

Jamie

juszczec

• Level 3
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2008, 09:31:31 AM »

Jamie

Mark, 
   If your the same Mark I met in Akron,

Tall, blonde, devastatingly good looking, body like Schwarzenegger in his prime?

No, I'm not that Mark  ::)

I'm the skinny guy with the beard.  I remember you from the seminar as well.

all the sticks i brought were seconds gotten through bloodsport.com.

Great!  Now I've got another price point.

I'll go thru the phone book for furniture outlets.

Hope all is well with you.

Mark

WTAC

• Aaron Warren
  • Level 2
    • WTAC Training
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2008, 05:27:57 AM »

Try here.

http://bloodsport.com/product_info.php?cPath=2&products_id=39
Aaron

Hi folks

I've seen sticks sold by one kali/escrima supplier as seconds. 

Per the manufacturer, they are too "ugly" to sell full price.  Is this a standard practice?  Do many/most/all manufacturers do this?  Can anyone recommend suppliers who sell seconds?

Mark

Robert Robbins

• Level 1
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2008, 05:31:54 PM »

Bloodsport.com's ugly sticks are oddly shaped not so much different lengths, often curved on one end or the other.  His student grade sticks are a much better buy (10 pairs/ 20 sticks) not finished, not pretty but fairly uniform. I like them a lot. Also Nick is a great guy, if you have any questions, call him at the number on his website, he has always answered the phone himself for me. Great guy, an original Dog Brother, I think. very cool guy always helpful.
"You may not be intersted in war, but war is interested in you."

Leon Trotsky

Bryan Lee

• Level 4
  • Rogue Elephant
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2008, 08:10:00 AM »

How much you guys paying for sticks? I get them for next to nothing around here but not sure on the shipping.

I went out in the jungle to get some Padook my inlaws had left out there to harden for 10 or more years and got the slightest little scratch which later turned blood red and started growing hardcore infection under the skin. Off to the doctor and another round of antibiotics and I'm back to normal + 100 kilos of fine tropical hardwood. 
JimH, "Bryan, have you seen the Elephant?"  Bryan Lee, "I Am The MotherFFFFing Elephant!"

Dawg

• Level 4
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2008, 01:04:59 PM »

I would have to agree 100% with Robert Robbins' post.
I haven't tried their "ugly sticks", but their regular sticks only cost $15.00 a pair and I get the length and thickness that I want. The next time I order sticks, I'm planning on getting their student grade sticks (their 10 pair bundle). I would also have to agree that Nick seems to be a great guy. Had a great phone conversation with him the last time I placed an order.
I have a couple of their rash guards that I have received numerous compliments on; so far, they're holding up really well.
"Whether you're paranoid or not, they're coming for you."  - Dawg

mickt

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2008, 12:09:54 PM »

I go to home depot or Lowe's hardware stores and buy dow sticks from the molding section.
They lasted longer that I expected, I just wrapped them with grip tape.  all sorts of possible wood there.  I use oak.  Give it a try its cheaper than rattan.

Dawg

• Level 4
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2008, 05:55:43 AM »

I use hardwood sticks for tire work, war post training and solo command and mastery; I've been warned about using hardwood for training with a partner due to splintering hazards.

I've used the same pair of oak sticks for about two years now. Lots of dents and black streaks all over them, but still hanging in there! I usually go through a pair of rattan sticks per month, but I like the feel of them and (I know this will sound weird!) but I love the smell of the rattan when we're training!

We've had no injuries due to splinters of wood flying around, and to me, that's worth the price of the rattan. Besides, someone's got to keep the stick guys in business! Just doing my part to help the economy. ;D
"Whether you're paranoid or not, they're coming for you."  - Dawg

Robert Robbins

• Level 1
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2008, 06:33:00 PM »

Again I've had nothing but good connection w/ bloodsport.com.  Bought another round of "student grade sticks" &  some knife trainers, got the  sticks, didn't get the trainers, Nick got them to me right away/. & actually  called  me got the trainers to me right away.. Nick has my business forever.
"You may not be intersted in war, but war is interested in you."

Leon Trotsky

Download