W. Hock Hochheim's

Combat Centric

Talk Forum for Military, Police, Martial Artists and Aware Citizenry

Hock Hochheim's Combat Talk Forum

• April 26, 2018, 11:08:30 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: police link vidios  (Read 2420 times)

whitewolf

• Level 4
police link vidios
« on: May 14, 2008, 11:25:27 AM »

I am a member of  police  link and today i looked at some police vidios of arrests-one in particular showed a police officer in boston arresting a drug  addict and the problems he had during the arrest-i am very  proud of the PO for doing his duty-i do  have some questions though-1-does the Boston PD get any self defense tactic  classes?
2-why no escalation of force as the fight progressed from a-verbal b-self ddefense tactics c-non leathal use of weapons the PO had-i reolize as the arrest continued he was pretty busy attempting to both arrest and protect  him self but luckly he was not injured or worse-i also saw after awhile some private citizens assisted in hlding the bad guy  down-that was good news-
IMHO only i  think that vidio should be shown to the boston PD and lessons learned after action discussions be  held and bring in a H2H trainer to assist in upgrading the training.
I reolize that the PO on the street is in the line of  fire from all sorts of people watching but isnt there a line that when crossed the PO cant use more force necessary to complete the arrest without getting injured? whitewolf (el  loo  blanco)

michael

• Level 3
Re: police link vidios
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2008, 10:33:22 AM »

I don't know about Boston in particular, but I can tell you from a lifetime in law enforcement that most departments do very little, if any, DT training. Even in the departments who do offer training, it is more geared toward avoiding civil liability than it is in forming a vialble system for officers to protect themselves. By and large, most of it is a joke.
**To be a warrior is not a simple matter of wishing to be one. It is rather an endless struggle that will go on to the very last moment of our lives. Nobody is born a warrior, in exactly the same way that nobody is born an average man. We make ourselves into one or the other.** Carlos Castaneda

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2008, 11:44:44 PM »

Michael-I am sorry to   hear that-very sorry-I travel the world and some of the police I run into dont have the law against  them-In kuwait for example-the police are getting self defense training now at the academy-Of course in Iraq -a  lot in the academies- In Greece same-reviewing the vidio  we were talking about-I notice that at times  the PO could  have strck/kneed/elbowed/put a arm  lock  on etc etc-it looked like he had no  clue what ever on what to  do-only to try and keep the bad guy wraped up-I wish you continued good training and never get into that position he  was in-Last comment is  the chief of the Boston  PD should be ashamed that he  does  not get the cutting edge in training for  the men/women in his department.  stay  safe  whitewolf (el  lobo blanco)

michael

• Level 3
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2008, 12:11:03 AM »

Thank you, Whitewolf.

Our department offers a pretty decent program in the basic academy, but even it is geared toward liability prevention more than arrest and control. It seeks to do both, but they are often diametrically opposed.

Most departments are afraid to teach anything that will cause serious injuries to those being arrested, even at the expense of endangering the officers.
**To be a warrior is not a simple matter of wishing to be one. It is rather an endless struggle that will go on to the very last moment of our lives. Nobody is born a warrior, in exactly the same way that nobody is born an average man. We make ourselves into one or the other.** Carlos Castaneda

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2008, 12:36:48 AM »

Michael-is the PBA union or similar  doing anything about this?
Also do you personnaly think that many  police officers dont  want to take this type training?
whitewolf (el  lob  blanco)

michael

• Level 3
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2008, 10:05:15 AM »

As far as I know, neither the PBA or FOP have ever addressed this issue.

Most cops are lazy, and will not train at all unless you make them. Sad, but true. Tie it to their paycheck or losing their state certification, then they will do what they have to.

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2008, 12:21:59 PM »

Michael-what part of the country are you located in?  It has been awhile but the PBA/FPO in New Jersey was  pretty strong. whitewolf (el  lobo blanco)

michael

• Level 3
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2008, 09:33:03 AM »

I am in Tennessee. The FOP/PBA is active here, but has nowhere near the power as in the NE.

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2008, 10:20:45 AM »

Michael- my home is clarksville-outside the back  gate of Ft campbell-looks like i  only  have one more year over here in kuwait-as wife wants us to  get home again-its been 5  years now-I had a small self defense school called executive self defense before i  came  here-are u close to clarksville? WW (ELB)

michael

• Level 3
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2008, 12:46:59 AM »

I remember that Whitewolf, and remember you from several years back on the KM forum. I am about 3 hours away from Clarksville, but have been through there several times. Maybe we can get together when you get back.

Download