W. Hock Hochheim's

Combat Centric

Talk Forum for Military, Police, Martial Artists and Aware Citizenry

Hock Hochheim's Combat Talk Forum

• October 22, 2018, 10:02:05 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Another shout out  (Read 4460 times)

usks1

• Level 4
  • Don't tell me.. show me..
    • U.S. Karate
Another shout out
« on: May 17, 2008, 09:28:49 PM »

I want to give a shout out to one of my long time students Gerald Barnett.

Gerald has been with me since early 94, and is now living in France keeping the Kajukenbo flame burning. He also trains with Hock anytime he can, & is just a hard working little dude.

He has been back in the states for a month or so, and we have been working to get him up to date on things our group has been doing since we saw each other last.

It was also a good opportunity to bump him up in rank to where he needs to be. He will be here for the rest of the month, so we got a couple of more good banging weeks left before he heads back across the pond.

Monday May 9, 2008 I promoted him to his 3rd degree black in Kajukenbo. He is well deserving of the promotion, and I look forward to him helping to make men out of those French males.

Congrats li'l G...

Dean
" I see people doing all kinds of crazy stuff.. Eatin razor blades and sh--t.. But I wanna know.. Can he fight?? "

Moses Powell ( RIP ) - The warrior within

whitewolf

• Level 4
Re: Another shout out
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2008, 10:48:43 PM »

Congradulations from Kuwait-  whitewolf (el  lobo  blanco)

grlaun

• Rawhide
  • Level 4
  • Jeff 'Rawhide' Laun
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2008, 06:34:25 AM »

Congrats, Frenchy!
Cheat in Beginning - Cheat in the Middle - Cheat in the End
Official Evil Ninja - 2008
Texas Peace Officer 8/2009
"You're making the wrong assumption that a Marine by himself is outnumbered"
Gen Peter Pace, 28Jul06
"You tell that muthaf**ka, he owes me money!"

JimH

• Level 4
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2008, 01:44:05 PM »

Congratulations on your promotion Mr Barnett.

Dean,
Can you suggest some Good Kajukenbo Dvd's,non promotional/not rank specific ?

I have looked at several sites,most had no Dvd list,one site I found,Master Bishop's site had a list of WKO materials but the majority seemed to be Rank specific.

Any Help is much appreciated.

usks1

• Level 4
    • U.S. Karate
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2008, 03:14:34 PM »

Jim,
Pull up the century website and check out the old panther tapes by G.M. Gary Forbach. They outline the punch / grab / club & knife counters as well as the forms. In this series G.M. Forbach teaches the material as it was taught to him by his teacher, & one of Kajukenbo's mainland pioneers. The late great Aleju Reyes RIP.

The WKO videos on Professor Bishops site outline the rank requirements of the OHS (Original Hard Style) branch. The material is similar in each of the sets, but the WKO dvd's were shot more recently. I have both sets, and they are full of info. Worth way more than they are charging for them.

Remember though there are many flavors of Kajukenbo out there, and both the panther / century & WKO tapes are of the more traditional flavor.. Lot's of rock em sock em, but from a more traditional format and base. Although I haven't seen them G.M. Angel Garcia from Spain has some DVD's out sold thru Budo. Although I haven't been able to see the DVD's yet G.M. Garcia is an outstanding technician, and I am sure he shows some good stuff.

Kajukenbo schools today range from those that teach the traditional material pretty much exclusively, to those who have moved to a more modern format, to somewhere in the middle and teach the original system, but add modern concepts and training.

The one thing you will find in common between them all is good hard training & plenty of contact & a focus on street mentality. We are a large family, and lot's of people training with lot's of people leads to lot's of innovation and diversity among the family (Ohana).

Hock and I are looking at finally finishing a project we started nearly 10 years ago... More on that coming up soon.  ;)

Good luck.

Dean
" I see people doing all kinds of crazy stuff.. Eatin razor blades and sh--t.. But I wanna know.. Can he fight?? "

JimH

• Level 4
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2008, 07:54:54 PM »

Dean,
Thank you for the reply,much appreciated.
I have seen some of the clips on youtube.
I like the WKO clips.
The Master Garcia clips have a nice hardcore attitude ,I like the materials a lot.
The Human weapon show was good but apparently did not do the system justice.

All the Best
Jim

Joe Hubbard

• London, England
  • Level 4
  • Transforming the Esoteric with the Exoteric!
    • www.functionalfighting.com
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2008, 02:28:26 AM »

Hi Dean

Didn't you have a DVD series in the making?

Out

Joe
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.  There's also a negative side"

Hunter S. Thompson

www.joehubbardstreetsurvival.com

Visit My Blog: http://joehubbard.wordpress.com

usks1

• Level 4
    • U.S. Karate
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2008, 05:26:48 AM »

Joe,
I put the first 3 levels together, but after further review I am going to cut a new set. Things are in the works, and I should have some more stuff out there before too long.

I still gotta get the contractor series, but you been getting rave reviews brother.. Good job.

When you coming back to the states?

Take care

Dean.

Hock

• Administrator
  • Level 4
    • www.HocksCQC.com
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2008, 06:07:21 AM »

We are trying to make a:

ka film
 ju film
 ken film
 bo film

a four, one-hour DVD set series that is an overview of each section, and then all of it all. History, Explanantion. Action. So a person will also fully understand it.

Its on the schedule. We have to finish off the Contractor and Muay Thai series, we have a practical combat stretching DVD in the works from Rawhide Laun (way too many of these modern combatives classes today have no idea about a little warm-up or stretching)
And one more Karate Kata film to edit! All these films are in raw footage already on the shelf waiting to be worked on. I am anal retentive about it and want to to control and oversee it all and that slows things down. 

But my High Homes Films operation is also doing other things, we have just done some television comercials and related interview piece for Dallas talk show; this summer we are doing a pretty, extensive mediation training series for a Texas Law College (this will take a huge chunk of time of the summer, but! $$$$) AND this winter, we do a film for a contractor to sell a milspec tactical program to the military. Milspec by the numbers.

I think Dean (and his twin couson Dan) and I need a vacation to go film the series in Hawaii, and as soon as possible! After Dean's, I want to find the perfect AIki-Jitsu guy...?
to do a series with...

Eventually I want to have a great expert/great program in each, "name" martial course and marial art:

Karate-David Roth
Muay Thai -Snake Blocker
India - leland Belding
Bowie - McClemore
Military - Nick Hughes
Groundfighting (reality and MMA) Jim McCann
General Prac/Tac Combatives (yours truly)
Security Contractor Joe Hubbard
Kajukenbo- "The Dean"
FMA/Pan Silat - Marc Halleck
Jeet June Do (Tim tackett has made others...but we are talking about a few very special ones)
Aiki-Jitsu -
Kung Fu -
Indo Silat -

Here's the deal...I have learned this starting out in the 1980s when I made weekly Crimestoppers Shows and "Your Safety Moment" shows for Dallas/Ft Worth/Denton television (some episodes can be seen at the end of the Unarmed One DVD.)

When you make a film, when you hire to have a film made, you are not just buying/renting the camera to have it filmed. Every jakeleg and drunk uncle has a camera. You are actually hiring the cameraMAN and the EDITOR. They make it special. That takes an artist and it takes art and skill.

Several of us reading here have been filmed by the so-called pros...people locked onto their high dollar camera stands and who could care less. Disconnecting a camera from the stand for a close-up is like getting a Vegas union guy to carry card table across a convention center. "Thats work order...what number was that? Whose got the card table paperwork?"     

Hock
« Last Edit: May 19, 2008, 08:06:10 AM by Hock »

usks1

• Level 4
    • U.S. Karate
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2008, 06:29:09 AM »

Cutting the set in "Hawaii" would be way cool.. Now you got me thinking..... Check your email..

Download