W. Hock Hochheim's

Combat Centric

Talk Forum for Military, Police, Martial Artists and Aware Citizenry

Hock Hochheim's Combat Talk Forum

• July 18, 2018, 12:41:10 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Experiences Flying with Firearms  (Read 6220 times)

Chuck Burnett

• Level 1
Experiences Flying with Firearms
« on: September 29, 2004, 11:09:13 AM »

I just returned from a long weekend in Arlington VA.
I flew with two handguns, both to maintain my defensive options and to do my part to help remind airline and TSA employees that they live in a free nation where citizens maintain (at least a semblance of) their natural right to keep and bear arms.
As usual , in my experience, my declaration that I was traveling with firearms didn't cause a stir. The Las Vegas agent asked me to show that the guns were unloaded and inquired about ammunition.
(America West requires ammo to be in a separate bag. This can vary by airline.) I signed a declaration that the weapons were unloaded and placed a copy in the case. The locked case was then walked to the TSA station for Xray. I stood by in case they needed to open the case. They quickly gave me a thumbs up and I was on my way with about five minutes spent from the time I declared the firearms.
The process at Washington National airport (in Arlington, VA) was virtually the same except the ticket agent just asked if the weapons were unloaded and handed me the declaration form with barely a glance at the guns.

I'm curious how many forum members routinely fly with guns and if your experience with airlines and TSA have been positive or negative?

Chuck

CQCTI Director

• Chattanooga, TN
  • Forum Member
  • Stop Fighting! Just Take Them Out!
    • CQC Training Institute
Re: Experiences Flying with Firearms
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2004, 01:20:58 PM »

My experiences have been the same as you have described. I have used several airlines to fly to various parts of the USA and have traveled with firearms on each occassion. I simply followed the regulations as required (real basic), nobody's ever raised an eyebrow and it has always been a positive experience.

Jim
If You Want Peace - Prepare For War!

**  Remember Benjamin Franklin's admonition:
"Make yourself sheep and the wolves will eat you."  **

Professor

• In your house drinking your coffee
  • Level 4
  • The Warlord
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2004, 07:06:24 PM »

My experiences have been the same as you have described. I have used several airlines to fly to various parts of the USA and have traveled with firearms on each occassion. I simply followed the regulations as required (real basic), nobody's ever raised an eyebrow and it has always been a positive experience.

Jim

Welcome to the Forum Jim.
  'Advanced' is being able to do the basics, despite what else is happening. 

Our Country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't be any AMERICA because some foreign soldiery will invade us and take our women and breed a hardier race!"  --- Chesty Puller, USMC

Professor

• Level 4
  • The Warlord
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2004, 07:09:24 PM »

I just returned from a long weekend in Arlington VA.
I flew with two handguns, both to maintain my defensive options and to do my part to help remind airline and TSA employees that they live in a free nation where citizens maintain (at least a semblance of) their natural right to keep and bear arms.
As usual , in my experience, my declaration that I was traveling with firearms didn't cause a stir. The Las Vegas agent asked me to show that the guns were unloaded and inquired about ammunition.
(America West requires ammo to be in a separate bag. This can vary by airline.) I signed a declaration that the weapons were unloaded and placed a copy in the case. The locked case was then walked to the TSA station for Xray. I stood by in case they needed to open the case. They quickly gave me a thumbs up and I was on my way with about five minutes spent from the time I declared the firearms.
The process at Washington National airport (in Arlington, VA) was virtually the same except the ticket agent just asked if the weapons were unloaded and handed me the declaration form with barely a glance at the guns.

I'm curious how many forum members routinely fly with guns and if your experience with airlines and TSA have been positive or negative?

Chuck

Chuck,

You have a mean streak too.....OK, a stubborn streak.  I do the same when I travel alone...I typically don't when I'm traveling for work. I'm a university professor and colleagues tend to look down on things like this...and rumors, etc are too much for it to be worth it for me professionally.   Blades are always carried...firearms - when I think I need them for the city that I'm traveling in....

Jeff

Our Country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't be any AMERICA because some foreign soldiery will invade us and take our women and breed a hardier race!"  --- Chesty Puller, USMC

Rawhide

• Level 3
  • Nothing more dangerous than a Marine & His rifle
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2004, 01:14:08 AM »

Got a question gents & ladies)....

Do you physically carry the weapon onto the plane with ammo on checked baggage?

Cheat in the beginning, cheat in the end, cheat in middle...

www.dallascqc.com

Chuck Burnett

• Level 1
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2004, 02:05:36 AM »

Guns and ammo in checked baggage only.
Guns must be unloaded and locked in a hard sided case. You must declare the firearms to the ticket agent when you check the bags.

Here is the Transportation Safety Administration's list of permitted and prohibited items:
http://www.tsa.gov/interweb/assetlibrary/Permitted_Prohibited_7_14_2004.pdf

Check with the airline as they may have additional rules.

Chuck

Professor

• Level 4
  • The Warlord
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2004, 11:35:31 AM »

Guns and ammo in checked baggage only.
Guns must be unloaded and locked in a hard sided case. You must declare the firearms to the ticket agent when you check the bags.

Here is the Transportation Safety Administration's list of permitted and prohibited items:
http://www.tsa.gov/interweb/assetlibrary/Permitted_Prohibited_7_14_2004.pdf

Check with the airline as they may have additional rules.

Chuck

Jeff,

DFW uses the standards above:  I've flown most that fly in and out....most airlines have a page on their web pages now.

Trembula

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2004, 12:16:14 PM »

Here is a good little page on flying with firearms by Matt Burkett:

http://www.mattburkett.com/html/flying.html

- Dan

Hock

• Administrator
  • Level 4
    • www.HocksCQC.com
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2008, 08:36:02 AM »

Any more of these?

Hock

GTC-554

• Level 1
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2008, 03:33:33 PM »

I just show the airline my credentials, I'm a federal agent, fill out a form and carry my gun on the plane.
"The world is a dangerous place to live not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."
Albert Einstein

"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."
Marcus Aurelius

Milldog1776

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2008, 03:52:45 PM »

My father, who lives in rural KY gave me one of his old rifles as a gift on a visit a while back. I went to the little airport there and declared the rifle in a locking case.

I was asked to open the case so another lady could inspect the weapon. She began swabbing it with cotton patches. When I asked her what she was doing she replied,"I have to check for explosives residue."

To which I promptly replied with a smirk..."Gunpowder on a gun? Do you think you'll find any?"

Well, she was not into my shtick at all, rudely closed the case and handed me the a copy of the declaration paper. I guess some people don't have a sense of humor.

Keith

arnold

• the king of cool
  • Level 4
  • oh that will get you killed
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2008, 07:27:13 PM »

I live with one and they take any kind of kidding around very seriously
I leave you idiots alone for 5 minutes and I come back and you're all dancing around like a bunch of Kansas City faggots
you're all a bunch of slack jawed faggots around here, this stuff will make you a sexual tyrannosaurus, just like me!

Download