W. Hock Hochheim's

Combat Centric

Talk Forum for Military, Police, Martial Artists and Aware Citizenry

Hock Hochheim's Combat Talk Forum

• July 18, 2018, 10:17:27 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Much larger opponent?  (Read 3084 times)

Robert Robbins

• Level 1
Much larger opponent?
« on: May 31, 2008, 05:41:17 PM »

Advise dealing w/ much larger guy please.  I'm 5' 11" and a pretty solid 200#. Every situation I've come close to in the last 10 years has involved a 20 yr old big dude. We were at our local Steve Miller show and my sweet, sweet wife took it upon herself to pick a fight w/ the 300/pounder in front of us that would not sit down.  I defused by having then swap us seats, but the guy WAS a dick and anywhere else, i'd want to SMACK.
"You may not be intersted in war, but war is interested in you."

Leon Trotsky

whitewolf

• Level 4
Re: Much larger opponent?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2008, 08:30:01 PM »

RR=two ways to  deal  with this
1=defuse as you did which is probably better as you or your  wife could  have gotten  hurt
2=contact contact contact ASAP and as hard and quick as you  can
whitewolf (el  lobo blanco)

JimH

• Level 4
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2008, 07:36:14 AM »

I know so many guys who train that end up in altercations because the women in their lives drop them in it.
(having a family member,in this case a wife there only complicates the situation as if some thing starts now you have to try and deal with this Big guy and worry about what she is doing or what is happening to her)

Luck of the draw on seating and if in the end the guy cooperated enough to exchange seats he couldn't have been that Bad of guy.

The guy didn't start anything.
He was there enjoying a show,maybe he did not think about being big and blocking the view of those behind but he was not looking for a problem.
The problem of a possible confrontation was brought to him.

Luckily what ever you did to defuse the situation worked.
(you lucked out)

I am concerned over this statement:
"but the guy WAS a dick and anywhere else, i'd want to SMACK."

To even think about starting a situation when one does not exist is not wise especially if the person is bigger than you or out weighs you,in this case by maybe 100 pounds.

Would you have acted differently if the guy was tall and skinny but still blocking the view?

The conflict stage should be the last resort.

Now to deal with a bigger person in a Street conflict in which the Bigger person confronts you and threatens you:
Never deal with them at close range down their centerline.
(if they grab you they have you)
You must work them at close angles ,but from outside angles of opportunity.
Take their legs,attack the knees and drop them.

As Whitewolf says you must move quickly and make contact.
Attack them and end it fast.

Hock

• Administrator
  • Level 4
    • www.HocksCQC.com
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2008, 09:53:37 AM »

I have had police tussles with all shapes and sizes. My nose has been broken three times, each time by a smaller (smarter?) guy. (One or two of these breaks combined will required surgery for me to breath properly and I have put this operation off for , oh, a decade. $$$ and a little scared of it, I guess)

I think if you stick to the programs of good fighting systems, you can still manuever, target, stun/diminish and win.

I have said for years that most techniques and tactics have the best chance to work when both parties about the same size and strength, in a range of about 15% of each other. 15%...ish! Emphasize the ish part. Generally.

I think the smaller person has to become percentages smarter, faster, stronger, weapons, to get back in the that high-yield, 15%-ish range.

Pee-Wee Herman will always have a problem with Hulk Hogan. The scale, the continuum begins there until it proceeds, by size and strength into the 15% range and then one-to-one range.

It is a psychological problem that also can be overcome with strategies and confidence.
And I there are strategies and targeting for the smaller person.

Hock

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2008, 10:55:38 AM »

I agree with the info sent to you-in addition I would start reviewing the area you and family are in no  matter where you are-you may pick out a problem before you are in the midst of it-and as Jim H said-if it was different you would  have smacked the guy-bad thoughts sir-if when how why now later maybe-all will get you possibly hospitalized-IMHO dont get in the situation in the first  place-walking away to live another day is the motto to  live  by-I have seen many many guys who said  "if" and then wound up on the floor because the other guy did not  wait and wailed the hell out of him. Without you getting upset I would recommend that you try to not think "if" and practise being with a calm and alert mind. take care-whitewolf (el  lobo blanco)

grlaun

• Rawhide
  • Level 4
  • Jeff 'Rawhide' Laun
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2008, 06:45:23 AM »

I'm 5'11" 175-180 lbs.  EVERYONE is bigger than me.  Watch the multiple fighter DVD,  I think aside from one of Dean's Teenagers, I'm the smallest one there...

Its certainly hard to put a muzzle on the wife.  Especially if they speak directly (like mine).  Its ALWAYS mistaken for a reprimand or insulting to a man.  I usually just leave such things alone.  But many times one can't.  I don't go to concerts for this reason (for others as well but the 'element' is always there) - too many unknowns...

Stay out of the centerline as JimH says.  Strike the vulnerable areas - eyes, throat, shins, knees, groin mercilessly as it can likely turn into a multiple fighter situation...

Good luck!
Cheat in Beginning - Cheat in the Middle - Cheat in the End
Official Evil Ninja - 2008
Texas Peace Officer 8/2009
"You're making the wrong assumption that a Marine by himself is outnumbered"
Gen Peter Pace, 28Jul06
"You tell that muthaf**ka, he owes me money!"

Bryant

• Kung Fu Genius
  • Level 3
  • To win in an instant is a superior achievement
    • moy yat ving tsun kung fu
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2008, 08:34:42 AM »

regardless of how big a potential assailant/combatant might be ,
I always think it is best if you can win with "mental kung fu"

a couple of examples

I went to Atlantic city to see The Roots at the house of blues (magnificent concert by the way) as my girlfriend and I are waiting in line to get in some guy cuts in front of us basically acting like he didn't see us , mind you the line is very very long and we are almost at the front I very calmly looked him in the eye and said in a firm neutral tone "excuse me, the line actually starts all the way back there" , he looked at me , thought for a moment, apologized and walked his @$$ to the back of the line
he must have been about 6'2" maybe 190 - 200 lbs, I am about 5'7" 165 lbs
(I am not a big dude by any stretch of the imagination)

I was in DC on a dinner date , 4 men approach and flank us as we exit the car , one of them approaches me and ask for some money strangely I was not scared or nervous , once again in a firm neutral tone I looked him in the eye and said "I'm sorry , I cant help you" I maintained eye contact, and waited ,he paused, he looked at his friends , and they all walked away without incident.

I think if you carry yourself in a confident manner, and deal with people in a firm but respectful manner most of the time you will not get into fights , but if you are belligerent or appear weak then you will more than likely end up in a physical confrontation.

Most people don't want to fight, and most criminals don't want to work too hard
so if you don't look like a victim they will leave you alone, most of the time

just my opinion

-B.
Proverbs 27:17 - Proverbs 24:3-4

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2008, 10:31:35 AM »

bryant-looks like you  used defussion instead of fear-glad it worked out-whitewolf (el  lobo blanco)

Download